I dont think the new album will be a hit...

Comments

• dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    The Hills & Grey's? Are you serious? Since when do you have to be on tv to be 'the next big thing'?
    If bands like Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Death Cab, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Iron and Wine, Bright Eyes are popular, then I hope PJ never reaches 'their' status.
    You, my friend, are a douche.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    To the OP:

Really the only thing that matters is whether or not YOU personally like it and find meaning in it. There are evidently enough of us fans to keep PJ doing what they do, so just enjoy it.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    twojawas wrote:
    binaural and riot act haven't gotten much burn live, which is a shame imo. there's at least 5 songs on each record that should be getting played live often.

5 songs on Riot Act? I can't think of one that I want to hear live or on record.

half full is always welcome live, all or none deserves more play, cropduster is more epic than people give it credit for, you are, green disease..that's 5 right there....and help help is probably the most underrated song in the pearl jam catalogue. i can deal with can't keep as well, the rest of the record you can throw away.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Nuzpaper.Nuzpaper. Posts: 112
    [/quote]

dude you need to stop looking at the negative of things.....their next album could be their finest critical and commercial success ever....and if it's not it really doesn't matter....this band has never lived on hits...just good fucking music[/quote]

They will never top Ten for record sales.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    twojawas wrote:
    binaural and riot act haven't gotten much burn live, which is a shame imo. there's at least 5 songs on each record that should be getting played live often.

5 songs on Riot Act? I can't think of one that I want to hear live or on record.

Cant Keep
    Love Boat Captain
    I Am Mine
    Green Disease
    1/2 Full
    And, as an encore, All or None.

Anymore brain busters?

EDIT: Oh yeah. Forgot Cropduster (my first favorite song from the album) and You Are (which is pretty fucking special live).
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    the bands you listed have never had radio hits and are just critically acclamied without selling big numbers. Who cares about the next big thing.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I really don't care if it's a hit.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    I wish it werent true, but even with the Target deal, the new Cameron Crowe video, and the documentary to follow and the promotion for the album which seems like it could rival the unprecedented press for Avocado, I dont think the band will become the next big thing.

If the push for Avocado didnt work, in 2006, I dont think the push for backspacer will work either. Sorry to be such a pessimist.

Music these days is pretty interesting, and in many ways rivals the grunge days in the fact that many of the big bands at the moment are indie and not really into the whole fame and fortune deal. bands like Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Death Cab, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Iron and Wine, Bright Eyes, are the bands of the moment. But I dont think any of the bands fit in with Pearl Jam and I dont think any of those bands were influenced by PJ either.

Will Backspacer be met with millions of new fans ala Green Day and American Idiot, or will it be another Avocado, a great album, with great songs, and selling a good amount, but not blowing up and becoming the next huge album and cultural event

I think the music scene isn't conducive to a Pearl jam.
    I'm indifferent to whether this album is a hit or not, to be honest. On one hand, I'd love for them to do well financially with this album, and grow their fanbase, as well as strengthening their hold on their already-present fanbase. That would just mean venues with less empty seats, and more screaming, excited fans, which I'm all for.
    On the other hand, if they don't do well financially, it means a small venue tour (which I've always thought would be IDEAL for a band like Pearl Jam) becomes that much more conceivable.
    Either way, I'm proud of them for negotiating a deal with Target that ALSO allows them to sell to ma & pa shops, and I'm proud of them for this kick-ass track.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • triphobztriphobz Posts: 152
    On the contrary, it seems like the sounds PJ is starting to incorporate into the band put it right in line with groups like "The Killers" and others that appeal to a younger crowd. The Target partnership could be huge as well as far as getting the music noticed by a wider audience.

The days of selling a million albums in a week are over but that doesn't mean the album can't do well.
    On the contrary, it seems like the sounds PJ is starting to incorporate into the band put it right in line with groups like "The Killers" and others that appeal to a younger crowd. The Target partnership could be huge as well as far as getting the music noticed by a wider audience.

The days of selling a million albums in a week are over but that doesn't mean the album can't do well.
    SM10080 wrote:
    I wish it werent true, but even with the Target deal, the new Cameron Crowe video, and the documentary to follow and the promotion for the album which seems like it could rival the unprecedented press for Avocado, I dont think the band will become the next big thing.

If the push for Avocado didnt work, in 2006, I dont think the push for backspacer will work either. Sorry to be such a pessimist.

Music these days is pretty interesting, and in many ways rivals the grunge days in the fact that many of the big bands at the moment are indie and not really into the whole fame and fortune deal. bands like Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Death Cab, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Iron and Wine, Bright Eyes, are the bands of the moment. But I dont think any of the bands fit in with Pearl Jam and I dont think any of those bands were influenced by PJ either.

Will Backspacer be met with millions of new fans ala Green Day and American Idiot, or will it be another Avocado, a great album, with great songs, and selling a good amount, but not blowing up and becoming the next huge album and cultural event

I don't think 'music is your life'. I think watching billboard charts is.

ZING!
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    that said I stand by the original post. The album will not be a huge hit, whether the band wants it that way is another question.

Exactly who is saying that it will be a huge hit? And more so, who the hell cares if it is?

I don't get the point of this thread at all...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    PJ is my lifeblood but they sounded rough last night. The song was disjointed and Ed's voice was...well you heard it.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    don't confuse matt's jazzy tempos with being 'off.' its 2009 and this is what the band sounds like! i for one love it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Close up shop Johnyy boy. This one here is done.

WTF r u talking about lol? The band sounded tight the sound was shit, and Ed was alright.

It was the first time playing that song live, excuse them for not being in mid tour groove.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    edited June 2009
    PJ is my lifeblood but they sounded rough last night. The song was disjointed and Ed's voice was...well you heard it.
    I dont know.....

Im gonna go to the Chicago shows.....and im gonna hear...

Sad
    Red Mosquito
    Immortality
    Smile
    Given To Fly
    I Got Shit
    Hard To Imagine
    Footsteps
    Go
    Animal
    Blood
    Black
    Nothingman
    Betterman
    Dissident
    Release
    Long Road
    STATE OF LOVE AND TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the shows will kick ass....
    my friends and I will have a great weekend......

and all will be good in the world............
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    norm wrote:

dude you need to stop looking at the negative of things.....their next album could be their finest critical and commercial success ever....and if it's not it really doesn't matter....this band has never lived on hits...just good fucking music
    +1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    i hope more people think like you and stop listening......my seats will be better
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    I dont know.....

Sad
    Red Mosquito
    Immortality
    Smile
    Given To Fly
    I Got Shit
    Hard To Imagine
    Footsteps
    Go
    Animal
    Blood
    Black
    Nothingman
    Betterman
    Dissident
    Release
    Long Road

If I don't get SOLAT, it will not be a good weekend ... hehehe.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE PERSON FEEL THE NEED TO START A NEW THREAD?

There are plenty already on this subject. Go contribute to those, for fuck's sake.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • gonzogonzo Posts: 553
    yeah, they sounded pretty good, but the sound mix going out over the air blew.
    i'd blame the tonight show people, but they probably had so much other minutiae going on seeing that it was the Conan launch that it's (kinda) excusable.
    either way, a wonderful taste of what's to come.
    peace,
    gonzo
    4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/29/96, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/01/04, 9/15/05, 9/30/05, 10/01/05, 5/4/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/31/09, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/15/13, 10/18/13, 10/19/13, 10/25/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 5/1/16, 5/2/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 8/8/18, 8/10/18
    Solat13 wrote:
    I dont know.....

Sad
    Red Mosquito
    Immortality
    Smile
    Given To Fly
    I Got Shit
    Hard To Imagine
    Footsteps
    Go
    Animal
    Blood
    Black
    Nothingman
    Betterman
    Dissident
    Release
    Long Road

If I don't get SOLAT, it will not be a good weekend ... hehehe.
    edited
  • vierellovierello Posts: 32

Listen again without watching the video, you will find out that it didnt' sound as bad as you thought watching it, because I had the same impression that you do now after watching last night, but as I listen to the song more and more, I find that I can't stop listening to it, it is pretty damn good.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    vierello wrote:

Listen again without watching the video, you will find out that it didnt' sound as bad as you thought watching it, because I had the same impression that you do now after watching last night, but as I listen to the song more and more, I find that I can't stop listening to it, it is pretty damn good.

I actually listened to the song without watching and it did indeed sounded incredibile. I should've known- with PJ tunes, you have to listen a few times and they grow on you.
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    I dont know.....

Sad
    Red Mosquito
    Immortality
    Smile
    Given To Fly
    I Got Shit
    Hard To Imagine
    Footsteps
    Go
    Animal
    Blood
    Black
    Nothingman
    Betterman
    Dissident
    Release
    Long Road

and Rats with any luck.

that is one hell of a setlist.
    Nice shirt.
    I dont know.....

Sad
    Red Mosquito
    Immortality
    Smile
    Given To Fly
    I Got Shit
    Hard To Imagine
    Footsteps
    Go
    Animal
    Blood
    Black
    Nothingman
    Betterman
    Dissident
    Release
    Long Road

and Rats with any luck.

that is one hell of a setlist.

And my friends and I will get together....
    We will share laughs.....
    We will enjoy good food and beverages.....
    We will enjoy the lakefront.....
    We will enjoy a ballgame.....

Then we will go to see 2 Pearl Jam shows.......

Then the little 3 day vacation is over....

and life goes on.....

ITS JUST A BAND!!!!!!!
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    And my friends and I will get together....
    We will share laughs.....
    We will enjoy good food and beverages.....
    We will enjoy the lakefront.....
    We will enjoy a ballgame.....

Then we will go to see 2 Pearl Jam shows.......

Then the little 3 day vacation is over....

and life goes on.....

ITS JUST A BAND!!!!!!!

indeed.

i have high hopes that the new record will surpass Pearl Jam in sales.

and i have a feeling it will.
    Nice shirt.
  • vedhead19vedhead19 Posts: 89
    [/quote]

Um, OK. I'm sure the band was aiming for a hit, but unfortunately, as you said, they won't get it. Dude, please understand this: Why this band is great is because they don't try to make hits--they make music they like. You know who makes 'hits'? Britney Spears, the backstreet boys, and every crap rapper. PJ is a little above that shit.[/quote]

Don't forget Nickelback and disturbed! Two of the shittiest bands out there that have hits everytime they release anything which is about two or three albums a year! Having a hit in this day and age is not what I measure a band on, because if Nickelback has albums on the top forty that tells me there are a alot of dumbass people buying albums. This I have know for a long time now although it is just my opnion, Pearl Jam is the best band in the world because they don't worry about hits and where their albums are on the top 40, they worry about the music and their fans!
    are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?

can't escape from the common rule if you hate something, don't you do it too

• SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    SM10080 wrote:

I don't think 'music is your life'. I think watching billboard charts is.

I have a basic understanding of billboard, and check it out, or try to check out the top few albums every week. That said, isnt billboard about music?

it is about sales, not about the creation of music
  • i think The Fixer pretty much blew a chance at backspacer being huge, but i do think the rest of the album is gonna be pretty damn cool.

honestly i'd be happy with a new direction. it seems the pop-punkish stuff from RA and Avocado is pretty much dry. Time for something new.
  • SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    What the fuck is a hit? Huh? Tell me! Come on tough guy, tell me! Right now! What's a hit? Tell me now, shit for tits!
  • i shit and i stinki shit and i stink Posts: 1,122
    edited August 2009
    Post edited by i shit and i stink on
    we're all going to the same place...