Options

Ed's voice

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    this thread continues to totally amaze me. :shock:
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257

I think a lot of it is just him being winded. And I don't necessarily mean the smoking, though that undoubtedly doesn't help. But listen to how fast they play Corduroy, Even Flow, g2f, etc. these days. the band races through the songs and he has to race to keep up, which I'm sure is exhausting and means his delivery is rushed. When they take time to let the songs breathe and groove at their natural pace, like they did at Benaroya, he's better than ever before. But the rest of the time, he IS kinda hit and miss. I don't think it's all his fault.

i totally agree with you, its the pace mainly. someone else noticed the wavering and posted it, and was getting shit for it, i was just saying that ive noticed it at times too. I certainly wasnt complaining about his voice, its mindblowing in general.

like all the others said, he is more consistent than he used be, and plays longer shows.

Dublin 06, Dusseldorf, and Copenhagen 07 in particular...i left those shows simply not understanding how a 40 year old man could sing like he did. even though i was a diehard by that point, his voice still completely shook me to my core, and then some.
  • Options
    mvhessmvhess Posts: 19
    Smellyman wrote:
    He's older and not many singers out there are as vocally demanding on a throat than Ed. Dude brings it and almost always sounds great live.

I could almost guarantee smoking or not, he would sound the same now, age has more to do with it than anything. Voices constantly change over the years.

However with great boots since 2000 people have become hypercritical, he had more rough nights in the early years. He is more consistent now partly because he protects his voice from too many screams.

IMHO

What he said.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Smellyman wrote:
    I could almost guarantee smoking or not, he would sound the same now, age has more to do with it than anything. Voices constantly change over the years.

I love Ed's voice circa 92, 94, 98, 00, 03, 08....it doesn't matter. BUT...I think smoking most definitely has given him a little raspiness over the past decade and has affected his singing greatly. In my mind there is absolutely no question about it, but I know it's just my opinion. I still love his voice, but I'd love to know what he would have sounded like had he not been a smoker. There is no denying smoking affects your voice after years and years of smoking.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    screaming your lungs out even more so
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    reign or me sounds good to me live..
    its hard to scream on every song.maybe hes chilled out after 20 years..

i can barely speak after i sing ten on rockband :lol:
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Like on this performance of Why Go ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRj-zUr3uzk

It seems like his voice is shaking...or quivering throughout the whole song.

I'm seriously not hearing it. Maybe it sounds a little hoarse. I don't know. But I'm not hearing anything particularly grating on the ears or anything like that.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    JordyWordy wrote:

Poor quality, but i think you get the gist.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzirYmdB2M

Good example.
    Also, if you listen to Come Back on the album vs. this version (DVD) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUBNI8H7_E you can also hear it too.

...By the way...I love that vid of Comeback! Just an example of the "tired falsettos".

Both of those sound pitch perfect to me. My ears must be fucked up. Maybe I have a cold.
  • Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    funnygirl wrote:
    mrshock13 wrote:
    Ok, so I gave one of my friend, who has never listened to pearl jam, their first 3 albums. After a few weeks, I asked her what she thought of them, and she said they were ok, but she hated the vocals. She said that she likes "smooth" vocals, and hearing that about eddie, I almost flipped out and lost my shit and exploded on her. I had to catch myself.

Eddies' voice IS Pearl Jam....His voice inspires me, and takes me places...But I guess everyone has their own taste in music!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, here is a list of some of her favorite music:

my chemical romance, hawthorne heights, fall out boy, starting line, matchbook romance, the almost, cartel, boys like girls

I hate popular music these days, I really, really, do.

Getting back on topic though, I find it funny how so many of us "younger" folk (I'm 20), obviously excluding me :D:D seem to like all of this high pitched mediocre at best shit that I can barely call singing, and hate all of the stuff from 90's and before.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    mrshock13 wrote:
    funnygirl wrote:
    mrshock13 wrote:
    Ok, so I gave one of my friend, who has never listened to pearl jam, their first 3 albums. After a few weeks, I asked her what she thought of them, and she said they were ok, but she hated the vocals. She said that she likes "smooth" vocals, and hearing that about eddie, I almost flipped out and lost my shit and exploded on her. I had to catch myself.

Eddies' voice IS Pearl Jam....His voice inspires me, and takes me places...But I guess everyone has their own taste in music!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, here is a list of some of her favorite music:

my chemical romance, hawthorne heights, fall out boy, starting line, matchbook romance, the almost, cartel, boys like girls

I hate popular music these days, I really, really, do.

Getting back on topic though, I find it funny how so many of us "younger" folk (I'm 20), obviously excluding me :D:D seem to like all of this high pitched mediocre at best shit that I can barely call singing, and hate all of the stuff from 90's and before.

LOL - I had to laugh at this because my younger sister is just like your friend. She doesn't understand my obsession for Pearl Jam yet she adores fall out boy. Really? REALLY??? Maybe I'm just getting old, but today's 'popular' music just plain stinks (with a few exceptions of course...kol being one). It seems like these new musicians are in it for the fame; I just don't see the passion anymore. Listening to the radio these days is just depressing...
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Like on this performance of Why Go ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRj-zUr3uzk

It seems like his voice is shaking...or quivering throughout the whole song.

I'm seriously not hearing it. Maybe it sounds a little hoarse. I don't know. But I'm not hearing anything particularly grating on the ears or anything like that.

Listen to the "shes been diagnosed by some stupid FUCK, and mother agREEES YEAaa"

that part, is fucking BADASS. I really have no idea why that guy was complaining about his voice.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Listen to Live on Two Legs vs. any '08 bootleg and you'll hear a MAJOR difference.
  • Options
    Listen to Live on Two Legs vs. any '08 bootleg and you'll hear a MAJOR difference.

Well, shit. Each track on LOL was hand-selected as the best of the best. If Ed didn't sound just right, they wouldn't put it on the record.

Each '08 bootleg is warts and all. There are some moments on various '98 boots when you're thinking "WTF, Ed?" I know, because I have them.

All in all, this comparison is epic, unmitigated fail.
  • Options

Well, shit. Each track on LOL was hand-selected as the best of the best. If Ed didn't sound just right, they wouldn't put it on the record.

Each '08 bootleg is warts and all. There are some moments on various '98 boots when you're thinking "WTF, Ed?" I know, because I have them.

i always wondered about LO2L's. thought there was no way that a concert could be that perfect.
    is there an article or something about it?
    thanks
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709

a point extremely well made.....
  • Options

i always wondered about LO2L's. thought there was no way that a concert could be that perfect.
    is there an article or something about it?
    thanks

Not sure if there's an article about it, but that's why it's called what it's called. It is an album of LIVE songs performed on TWO LEGS of their '98 US tour.

You can see which show produced which song here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_on_Two_Legs
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Both of those sound pitch perfect to me. My ears must be fucked up. Maybe I have a cold.

Nobody said he was singing out of tune or that it was unlistenable. We said it made his voice sound weak, and he sounds better when he paces himself. which you just said yourself.

he doesnt get to pace himself, not his fault. but it shows really bad at certain shows (werchter was a struggle for Ed,he'd been drinking all day), or on certain songs. no biggie. if you cant hear it, then all the better for you.
    Post edited by JordyWordy on
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:

Nobody said he was singing out of tune or that it was unlistenable. We said it made his voice sound weak, and he sounds better when he paces himself. which you just said yourself.

I don't really recall saying this.
    he doesnt get to pace himself, not his fault. but it shows really bad at times. no biggie. if you cant hear it, then all the better for you

Yes, yes. All the better for me. As a singer, I'll take '08 Ed over '92 Ed every day of the week. And possibly twice on Sunday. It's not even close.
  • Options
    PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
    JordyWordy wrote:

he doesnt get to pace himself, not his fault. but it shows really bad at times. no biggie. if you cant hear it, then all the better for you

Yes, yes. All the better for me. As a singer, I'll take '08 Ed over '92 Ed every day of the week. And possibly twice on Sunday. It's not even close.
    Wow
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:

So would i without a shadow of a doubt! maybe i wasnt overly clear on that?

either way, mental image overload on the taking of Ed ... eight times a week, ya greedy bastard ;)
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    trying to browse through this thread, don't think anyone mentioned the binaural tour?

i think the european tour 2000 was eddie's strongest performance to date. every night he was ON and that definitely carried over to the north american leg as well. luckily we have every boot as proof.

someone posted a clip from the 7 worlds collide video... another great call. he sounded fantastic for those 5 shows.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    im not really liking the dylan side of his voice on newer songs like santa cruz....just dont like the way it sounds.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,690
    I love all the none singers and musicians on here critiquing Ed's singing technique.

You have absolutley no idea how difficult it is to do what he does, and sing like he does night after night for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Believe me, it's extremely difficult to pull that shit off.

Listen to the countless cover bands out there who absolutley butcher the vocals when covering Pearl Jam.
    Just ask any of them how difficult it is to try and sing like that.

Eddie has one of the most unique voices in the history of rock music. He may not be able to hit the notes every single time...but he still goes for it night after night...and Jesus Christ...when the man is on...HE'S ON!! just listen to Love Reign O'er Me from the VH1 taping. It is quite possibly the best example of the range and power of Eddie's vocals, not to mention clear proof that he hasn't lost anything.

The thing that amazes me most about him is the different ranges and styles that he can sing to. It's really mindblowing when you really step back and realize how diverse he actually is.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    I love all the none singers and musicians on here critiquing Ed's singing technique.

You have absolutley no idea how difficult it is to do what he does, and sing like he does night after night for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Believe me, it's extremely difficult to pull that shit off.

Listen to the countless cover bands out there who absolutley butcher the vocals when covering Pearl Jam.
    Just ask any of them how difficult it is to try and sing like that.

Eddie has one of the most unique voices in the history of rock music. He may not be able to hit the notes every single time...but he still goes for it night after night...and Jesus Christ...when the man is on...HE'S ON!! just listen to Love Reign O'er Me from the VH1 taping. It is quite possibly the best example of the range and power of Eddie's vocals, not to mention clear proof that he hasn't lost anything.

The thing that amazes me most about him is the different ranges and styles that he can sing to. It's really mindblowing when you really step back and realize how diverse he actually is.
    yep
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

Good point. For that matter, non-musicians should never have an opinion about music. Think Creed sucks? Well, unless you play guitar and know exactly how hard their stuff is to play, you have no business expressing your opinion! Are you a published novelist? Then I damn well better never hear you recommending a book to anyone, because your opinion is clearly not valid by virtue of lack of firsthand experience in writing one. Think your car sucks for breaking down? Stop bitching, you've never tried building a car so you have no clue how hard it is to get one to run smoothly...

I could go on.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

Good point. For that matter, non-musicians should never have an opinion about music. Think Creed sucks? Well, unless you play guitar and know exactly how hard their stuff is to play, you have no business expressing your opinion! Are you a published novelist? Then I damn well better never hear you recommending a book to anyone, because your opinion is clearly not valid by virtue of lack of firsthand experience in writing one. Think your car sucks for breaking down? Stop bitching, you've never tried building a car so you have no clue how hard it is to get one to run smoothly...

I could go on.

i know non musicians that know creed sucks
  • Options
    PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

I could go on.
    :lol: +1
  • Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

I could go on.

i know non musicians that know creed sucks

Creed is one of those bands that just sucks by default.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

I could go on.
    :lol: +1

what if something tastes like shit that a chef made? and you're not a chef..no opinion allowed?
    or if you're not a chef and you like something..should you damn well not recomend it?

and if i buy a car..and it breaks down..ill critique the shit out of it and tell others the same.

but.
    im on your side even though your points dont make sense
    no one should be criticizing ed..
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    I think the people who have "been critical" of his voice have not done that at all. I for example love Ed's voice, I just questioned why he has chosen (of late) to use the falsetto as much as he does. That is all!

Some of you need to lighten up a bit. You need to not act like it is a personal attack against you...it's just a simple question. :lol:

I for one I'm not a huge fan of the exaggerated falsetto of late, but even then Ed still has one of the best singing voices ever.
This discussion has been closed.