Radiohead denies influencing band

DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
edited July 2009 in Other Music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,013
    wow i must say radiohead seems like a bunch of douches. who are they to say 'no we didnt influence you'??? get over yourselves. what they can only inspire the second coming of the beatles? this almost adds substance to mileys claim about the band.

there is a big difference between influence and copying, maybe someone should give radiohead a dictionary, along with a swift kick to the nads.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    wow i must say radiohead seems like a bunch of douches. who are they to say 'no we didnt influence you'??? get over yourselves. what they can only inspire the second coming of the beatles? this almost adds substance to mileys claim about the band.

there is a big difference between influence and copying, maybe someone should give radiohead a dictionary, along with a swift kick to the nads.

Hmmmmm.........

I'm not noticing any sarcasm in your post, but you do know The Onion isn't real, right?
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

:mrgreen:
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    it amazes me when someone, anyone, doesn't know what the Onion is about these days.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    i love the onion. wish more people read it here.

and while the article was great, that response was even better. 8-)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    JordyWordy wrote:

Especially the Miley Cyrus part. :lol::lol:
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008

:lol:
    Failed at seeing sarcasm. That's fo sho!
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    you just dont get it... do you?

dr_evil.jpg

ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    DewieCox wrote:
    Especially the Miley Cyrus part. :lol::lol:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/e ... tists_warn

:D Quality. There's so many about her, it's great to see.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    JordyWordy wrote:

yep

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    JordyWordy wrote:

So true. That was poetry.
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474

simpsons_nelson_haha-1.jpg
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    this almost adds substance to mileys claim about the band.

Actually, reading their response to her comments, I'd say her claims are spot on. They call her entitled? Like people should wait and EARN the right to talk to the gods that are Radiohead? This article cracks me up because it IS such a spot on satire of their out of control egos. I know you're all such cool guys Radiohead, but being a bunch of dicks to people that admire you is douchebaggery.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,013

Actually, reading their response to her comments, I'd say her claims are spot on. They call her entitled? Like people should wait and EARN the right to talk to the gods that are Radiohead? This article cracks me up because it IS such a spot on satire of their out of control egos. I know you're all such cool guys Radiohead, but being a bunch of dicks to people that admire you is douchebaggery.

nothing seemed outta place when i read the article and i didnt bother to look what site the link was. i usually take news stories posted at face value unless it seems outlandish or its april fool's. and with everything ive heard about radiohead recently that story seemed right in line with what id expect to hear next about them.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    whats cool about the onion is often how much more truthful their writing and reporting is, versus the "real" news.

I have said it multiple times, that the onions writing in the direct aftermath of 9/11 was more inciteful and biting than anything any of the major news networks produced.

And you will often hear congresspeople talking about news items and railing against them, only it is revealed they had taken an article from the onion and believed it was some true news story.

I think the onion just has a way of cutting through the crap and reporting the truth.

Its bizaare how whether its colbert or jon stewart or the onion, our best news in this country is all satirical.

Pretty sad that the mainstream news is all bought out and corrupt
  • Jeez people! Rub it in much? We're talking dog pile here. LOL

In my more cynical days, I once mistook an Onion piece as real deal on AMT. I think Hippiemom had posted it and I had a good Saturday evening buzz going and decided to proclaim my complete and utter outrage on whatever the subject was, all the while making a complete ass of myself. :oops: The post in this thread doesn't touch mine which was complete with my early board days, over the top, emotionally charged and thickly dramatic posting style...ahhhh, those were the days. I miss em! :mrgreen:
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    we've all been there too i guess, such is the reason for the good natured banter.

"emotionally charged" .. :) ...ahh, the early days of a poster's career...
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577

They actually seem quite humble...all in all, they're pretty quiet guys who don't like to get tangled up in the Hollywood culture, which is why they probably felt uncomfortable doing meet-and-greets with other famous people.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    tcaporale wrote:

They actually seem quite humble...all in all, they're pretty quiet guys who don't like to get tangled up in the Hollywood culture, which is why they probably felt uncomfortable doing meet-and-greets with other famous people.

also, i think Thom says 'thank you' between songs more than anyone else. pretty much between every song
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    Radiohead wouldn't charter a pirvate jet, they are very conscious about their carbon foot print even to what type of lights they use in their show. They did a great performance of 'House of Cards' on Conan OBrien's green show via satellite and quoted what a flight from London to New York was equivalent to in terms of driving (which i now forgot) and then Ed and Thom reminded Conan and people to recycle their shopping bags

edit- the story mentions them chartering a private jet to fly to Ohio to see the band live to judge if they were an influence or not
    don't compete; coexist

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Radiohead wouldn't charter a pirvate jet, they are very conscious about their carbon foot print even to what type of lights they use in their show. They did a great performance of 'House of Cards' on Conan OBrien's green show via satellite and quoted what a flight from London to New York was equivalent to in terms of driving (which i now forgot) and then Ed and Thom reminded Conan and people to recycle their shopping bags

edit- the story mentions them chartering a private jet to fly to Ohio to see the band live to judge if they were an influence or not

...except that instead of playing Verizon Center in DC, where 100% of the people could have used mass transit, they instead played Nissan Pavilion in Bristow VA (just outside) where 100% of the people HAD to drive to the venue, and there were 3 hours vehicle lines waiting to get into the venue, with thousands to miss the show entirely, let alone the gas to get there and the gas to get back.

I sent a letter to their management and the band asking them to reschedule a date in DC proper to make up for it. They didn't but I know their tour management got the letter.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Funniest thread ever.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
    edited July 2009
    CJMST3K wrote:

...except that instead of playing Verizon Center in DC, where 100% of the people could have used mass transit, they instead played Nissan Pavilion in Bristow VA (just outside) where 100% of the people HAD to drive to the venue, and there were 3 hours vehicle lines waiting to get into the venue, with thousands to miss the show entirely, let alone the gas to get there and the gas to get back.

I sent a letter to their management and the band asking them to reschedule a date in DC proper to make up for it. They didn't but I know their tour management got the letter.

yeah, same thing happened when i saw PJ play there in 03 (though on the boots the cover and poster say DC), the traffic into Nissan is shitty. a lot of it happened after the opening band, though. a lot of venues are like that, even ones close to the highway, which Nissan is close to 66 which runs into DC, where the metro is good and relatively cheap transit but stops running at 11-12. or you can pay $20 or a little less to park (depending on what venue, like by the Black Cat is $9 if you get there early enoughbut closes at midnight but will wait a little bit later), which sometimes they also close at certain times, when i saw Lewis Black, Dave Atell and Mitch Hedburg in DC i had to rush back to the place as it closed its gate at midnight. i was there not that long before the buzzcocks and pre-set and had no problem with traffic, in fact Ed even mentions the traffic during teh show saying they'll play a few slower songs waiting for everyone. although, when i saw Radiohead in Charlotte, close to the highway, my comapnion caused us to be a little late missing the opening band and we missed about 1/2 the show because of traffic. it pays to get there a little early, not just a few min before the main band

really, thousands missed the show entirely?? i know traffic is horrible there but i seriously doubt that figure.
    Post edited by Pepe Silvia on
    don't compete; coexist

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    really, thousands missed the show entirely?? i know traffic is horrible there but i seriously doubt that figure.

I wouln't doubt it. All but a road or 2 leading to the venue was closed from flooding.
    DewieCox wrote:

I wouln't doubt it. All but a road or 2 leading to the venue was closed from flooding.

they must have bad luck in Virginia/DC, i had tickets to both shows in Manassas, VA in 01 and that got flooded out and both shows canceled
    don't compete; coexist