Options

Favorite writers...

2»

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    sgossard3 wrote:
    my top 3 would be kurt vonnegut, chuck palahniuk, and hunter s. thompson

love them all for their dark wit and creativity... just very real... something poetic in that

anyone know of any more obscure writers with a similar style? looking for something new to read
    I love vonnegut and HST, who's the other guy?

sweet jesus. palahnuik wrote fight club among other books. :P :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    sgossard3 wrote:

love them all for their dark wit and creativity... just very real... something poetic in that

anyone know of any more obscure writers with a similar style? looking for something new to read
    if you like vonnegut and HST then you GOTTA check out palahniuk... i would consider him a more mondern, more extreme version of vonnegut... fight club, choke, lullaby, survivor, oral biography of rant casey, invisible monsters... all great!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:

if you like vonnegut and HST then you GOTTA check out palahniuk... i would consider him a more mondern, more extreme version of vonnegut... fight club, choke, lullaby, survivor, oral biography of rant casey, invisible monsters... all great!

i think my homicidal little mind likes lullaby best.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Burroughs, Robbins, Hunter S Thompson, London, Kerouac, Orwell, Thoreau, Zinn, Chomsky, McKenna, Emma Goldman

I really need to start getting into more modern writers. I was a late bloomer in ways...loved to read in middle school and early high school but then got disinterested as life got more interesting to experience first hand. Started getting back into reading in my mid 20s and am kicking myself at all the reading I missed out on and all the catching up I have on my plate now.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Right now.... Steinbeck.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    ... and am kicking myself at all the reading I missed out...

you didnt miss out on it. its all still there. i think tis best to come to writers on ones own than be expected to read them when one is 'suppose to'
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ha... i loved that one too... great characters... really weird, voodoo shit

my favorite is probably rant casey though... really different format, but just a GREAT story

still have yet to read haunted and snuff... probably the next books im gonna read... and damn... as i was typing this i just discovered he released a book earlier this month... im out of the loop!

AND it looks like invisible monsters is gonna be a movie next year! should be cool... if its as good an adaptation as fight club was... never saw the movie version of choke
    Post edited by Kilgore_Trout on

• Options
    ... and am kicking myself at all the reading I missed out...

you didnt miss out on it. its all still there. i think tis best to come to writers on ones own than be expected to read them when one is 'suppose to'

That's a great way to view it...this way my reading choices become more of an enhancement along the way of my own personal journey. :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    ha... i loved that one too... great characters... really weird, voodoo shit

my favorite is probably rant casey though... really different format, but just a GREAT story

still have yet to read haunted and snuff... probably the next books im gonna read... and damn... as i was typing this i just discovered he released a book earlier this month... im out of the loop!

have you read non fiction??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    is that a book title? or do you mean the genre? i read lots of biographys and (art) history stuff if ya mean the latter

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    is that a book title? or do you mean the genre? i read lots of biographys and (art) history stuff if ya mean the latter

hahaha its a palahniuk book. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Chuck Palahniuk
    Charles Bukowski
    Franz Kafka
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Michel Houellebecq
    Bertolt Brecht
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

hmm never heard of it... tried looking online before i asked that so i didnt look stupid, but didnt see it... you recommend?

• Options
    heidihiheidihi Posts: 114
    Dickens, Thomas Hardy and Orwell at the moment!

...... used to love Shakespeare but being an English teacher and trying to inspire teens to enjoy is kind of killing it for me at the moment. Perhaps now it is work, the pleasure is slighty removed???? (maybe I am just frustrated by my yr 12 class and Hamlet at this point of time!!!) ;)
    “The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter.” Mark Twain
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:

hmm never heard of it... tried looking online before i asked that so i didnt look stupid, but didnt see it... you recommend?

well id recommend anything palahniuk writes. along with douglas coupland and james baldwin. faulkners light in august is another recommended reading imo. henry miller, selby, and camus.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    well id recommend anything palahniuk writes. along with douglas coupland and james baldwin. faulkners light in august is another recommended reading imo. henry miller, selby, and camus.
    thanks cate! lots of good suggestions there... i should be busy for the rest of summer :D

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    thanks cate! lots of good suggestions there... i should be busy for the rest of summer :D

youll be busy til next summer. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    PJ73 wrote:
    Has anyone here read Haruki Murakami? I've read only Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, but he has several others that many of my friends have liked.

I'm curious if EV read Hard-Boiled. One of the themes of the books was a person's shadow being their soul and how it follows you everywhere (I can't really explain it well w/o giving away any of the plot). I kept thinking of this when I hear Far Behind b/c the imagery was very similar to me.

Give him a chance - its very surreal storytelling.

I've read A Wild Sheep Chase, Dance Dance Dance, Sputnik Sweetheart, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, South of the Border West of the Sun, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, After Dark and Kafka on the Shore. I'm now reading cool book about Murakami by Jay Rubin, one of his translators called "Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words"which is turning out to be very interesting. Along with Vonnegut and Tom Perrotta he is my favorite. And Chuck Palahniuk.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,727
    "I like Mike Lupica"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Sebastian Faulks
    Carlos Ruis Zafon
    Cormac McCarthy
    Khaled Hosseini

Bill Bryson
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Louise Erdrich - her writing is poetry, the metaphors used, and lusciousness of the words are beautiful. At the same time, the stories are interesting, so interesting that they would captivate a fireside audience. She really knows how to tell a story. It's rare to write literature and tell a story anyone would be interested in at the same time. It's probably a reflection of the way she paces a story besides the word choices, and metaphors used. The Last Report on the Miracle at Little No Horse is the novel I've read the most in my life.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Burroughs, Robbins, Hunter S Thompson, London, Kerouac, Orwell, Thoreau, Zinn, Chomsky, McKenna, Emma Goldman

I really need to start getting into more modern writers. I was a late bloomer in ways...loved to read in middle school and early high school but then got disinterested as life got more interesting to experience first hand. Started getting back into reading in my mid 20s and am kicking myself at all the reading I missed out on and all the catching up I have on my plate now.

Great list. Have you read "Food of the Gods" by McKenna? My dad picked up that book up off my shelf the other day while visiting... I think he may call child protective services on me!

I'd add to that list Christopher Moore, Vonnegut and Steinbeck (mostly because of Grapes of Wrath).

Also, I just read my FIRST and LAST book on spirituality/self-help/etc. "Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment." If you like themes of McKenna you'd like this one. Oh I lied, the other book I read on that subject (long time ago) was BE HERE NOW.

Chomsky's "Hegemony or Survival" just made more disillusioned about the world... but it was good.

Orwell's great book turned me from a republican to an anarchist way back in the day. No shit!

And I just finished the 9th and final book by TRobbins -- B is for Beer. meh. But he is my favorite of all time so he deserves one misfire. Jitterbug Perfume and Another Roadside Attraction are easily two of the best works of "post-modern" fiction ever.

I still haven't picked up Zinn yet (even with Ed's proselytization of his work). Which one should I grab first?
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.