Comments

• Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    screech9.jpg
  • Options
    blah blah bliggity-fucking-blah!!
  • Options
    mvhessmvhess Posts: 19
    I'm amazed that people would be surprised that a 40-something rock singer, who smokes & drinks wine late into the night, would have "on & off" days with his voice. I think Ed's voice has held up better than most considering his habits & singing style. What did surprise me a little bit was on the last album's harder tracks (Comatose), his "growling" voice sounded strained and forced, yet on "Love, Reign O'er Me", it sounded effortless & as powerful as it ever has.
  • Options
    PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
    JordyWordy wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    I really think Ed at times is one of the best lyricists and at times just "meh".

His overuse of the falsetto (for example on this years Christmas single) and can't hold notes because of it, and pulls off...not good!

You will then hear a boot like Benaroya where he pretty much nailed EVERYTHING perfectly.

I just don't get it. So on and so "off" at times...

No. 1 -- I'm not sure you know what the word "lyricist" means.

No. 2 -- What in God's name are you talking about?

I know what he's talking about. Well the 2nd part anyway. Yes, he misused lyricist.

But for the 2nd point:
    Listen to Benaroya...to the performances of Thin Air, Off He Goes, Parting Ways, Thumbing.
    On those songs, (and several other songs in the bands catalogue) nowadays Ed *wavers* his voice, quivering his voice up & down over notes instead of doing like on the Benaroya show : just holding the one solid note in his bartione and nailing the notes perfectly. He just sounds tired when he does it the new way, whereas by holding the note, his voice sounds strong and deep.

Its not all songs, but some songs he definitely does it everytime they play them
    YES. This is what I'm talking about.

His voice would sound much better if he just held out the note instead of waving it all over the place. It ruins a lot of songs nowadays for me. I can't stand when he does this..and he's been doing it more and more within the past 3, 4 years.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    pdalowsky wrote:
    fuck me, here is a thread critisising the voice of Eddie Vedder...well I've seen it all now

cant we just enjoy his voice rather than having to winge that at a show in 2003 during a song he bummed a note....

some people have far too much time.....I wonder if some of you pause your CD's to run his voice through the computer to check the range and tone.....
    all in good fun

we're entitled to critize anyway

nobody's perfect, not even Eddie

that's what some people on this board need to come to realize
  • Options
    Pearl SamPearl Sam Posts: 88
    I seriously wish someone, whether from somebody in the band or some trusted soul from mnagement, would explain how bad it sounds when he overuses these falsettos. Unfortunately, this multi-pitched singling ruins or at least cripples many of the songs played live these days. I don't understand why it is that Ed does this - it's probably harder on his voice, not to mention it sounds like crap.

Someone with some pull? Hello----someone with some pull - please tell Ed to stick more closely to the studio version rather than eating songs up with Falsetto. I really, genuinely wish somebody would persuade Ed to calm the falsettos, if not cut them way down!! Please, please someone!!??!

[quote="His overuse of the falsetto (for example on this years Christmas single) and can't hold notes because of it, and pulls off...not good!

You will then hear a boot like Benaroya where he pretty much nailed EVERYTHING perfectly.

I just don't get it. So on and so "off" at times...[/quote]

But for the 2nd point:
    Listen to Benaroya...to the performances of Thin Air, Off He Goes, Parting Ways, Thumbing.
    On those songs, (and several other songs in the bands catalogue) nowadays Ed *wavers* his voice, quivering his voice up & down over notes instead of doing like on the Benaroya show : just holding the one solid note in his bartione and nailing the notes perfectly. He just sounds tired when he does it the new way, whereas by holding the note, his voice sounds strong and deep.

Its not all songs, but some songs he definitely does it everytime they play them[/quote]YES. This is what I'm talking about.

His voice would sound much better if he just held out the note instead of waving it all over the place. It ruins a lot of songs nowadays for me. I can't stand when he does this..and he's been doing it more and more within the past 3, 4 years.[/quote]
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    i always thought this song shows how good eddies voice is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC48fcPlAfc
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    mca47 wrote:
    I really think Ed at times is one of the best lyricists and at times just "meh".

His overuse of the falsetto (for example on this years Christmas single) and can't hold notes because of it, and pulls off...not good!

I just don't get it. So on and so "off" at times...

No. 1 -- I'm not sure you know what the word "lyricist" means.

No. 2 -- What in God's name are you talking about?

Oops...I mean "vocalist" *edited* -Was after a few beers so I wasn't thinking straight ;)

#2: He's always used the falsetto and I for one like how he "sings" now more than the early days too. It's just like he gets it in his head how he's going to do a song. Like I mentioned before...listen to Benaroya. Damn near perfect singing. I have a number of Ed solo boots and he'll do a song sometimes and I think "why the increased falsetto on this?"
    Now I don't know if he can't hold the notes as well anymore or if he actually thinks the Super-falsetto actually sounds better in some way....
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,750
    Police Man wrote:
    I seriously wish someone, whether from somebody in the band or some trusted soul from mnagement, would explain how bad it sounds when he overuses these falsettos. Unfortunately, this multi-pitched singling ruins or at least cripples many of the songs played live these days. I don't understand why it is that Ed does this - it's probably harder on his voice, not to mention it sounds like crap.

Someone with some pull? Hello----someone with some pull - please tell Ed to stick more closely to the studio version rather than eating songs up with Falsetto. I really, genuinely wish somebody would persuade Ed to calm the falsettos, if not cut them way down!! Please, please someone!!??!

I still don't know what you people are talking about. Can someone provide an example? Youtube or something?

I've been listening to Ed solo boots for the past year now, in which Ed's voice is naked as can be, and to my ears he sounds amazing ... much better than a few years ago. Listen to something like Arc ... which is ONLY Ed's voice ... and tell me it doesn't sound great.

And if all you are talking about is how he sings songs like Parachutes ... I love how that sounds. So maybe it's just a matter of taste.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Pearl SamPearl Sam Posts: 88
    Example:

Corduroy on album: The waiting drove me mad...you're finally here and I'm a mess
    I take your entrance back...can't let you roam inside my head

Corduroy live: The waiting drove me ma-aaaah-ad...you're finally here and I'm a meh-ess
    I take your entrace ba-oh-ack...can't let you roam inside my hay-ud

Police Man wrote:

I still don't know what you people are talking about. Can someone provide an example? Youtube or something?

I've been listening to Ed solo boots for the past year now, in which Ed's voice is naked as can be, and to my ears he sounds amazing ... much better than a few years ago. Listen to something like Arc ... which is ONLY Ed's voice ... and tell me it doesn't sound great.

And if all you are talking about is how he sings songs like Parachutes ... I love how that sounds. So maybe it's just a matter of taste.
  • Options
    I know singing coaches teach people to sing from their "stomach", to emphasize singing from their chest.
    Ed has a great set of lungs on him, but it seems like he's singing more from his throat at times...where the falsetto comes from.

Still love Ed's voice, but I'm just not digging the "ups and downs" on a single note these days.
  • Options
    PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
    Like on this performance of Why Go ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRj-zUr3uzk

It seems like his voice is shaking...or quivering throughout the whole song.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    edited May 2009
    ah yeah well that Werchter show Ed was particularly tired and straining his voice the whole show. a few days before that show at Dusseldorf, and Nijmegen his voice was spot on: same song, the week before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgOKv3xdsTI

In general his voice in fucking mindblowing.

And it doesnt overly bother me, and he doesnt do it all the time ....its just a weird habit. It doesnt sound that bad, but on some songs he overdoes it - Small Town is usually the worst for it.

Poor quality, but i think you get the gist.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzirYmdB2M
    Post edited by JordyWordy on
  • Options
    My girlfriend says she can't understand what Ed is singing half the time. I told her she needs to read the lyrics and get over it lol
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    funnygirlfunnygirl Posts: 529
    mrshock13 wrote:
    Ok, so I gave one of my friend, who has never listened to pearl jam, their first 3 albums. After a few weeks, I asked her what she thought of them, and she said they were ok, but she hated the vocals. She said that she likes "smooth" vocals, and hearing that about eddie, I almost flipped out and lost my shit and exploded on her. I had to catch myself.

Eddies' voice IS Pearl Jam....His voice inspires me, and takes me places...But I guess everyone has their own taste in music!
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:

Poor quality, but i think you get the gist.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzirYmdB2M

Good example.
    Also, if you listen to Come Back on the album vs. this version (DVD) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUBNI8H7_E you can also hear it too.

...By the way...I love that vid of Comeback! Just an example of the "tired falsettos".
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    JordyWordy wrote:
    I know what he's talking about. Well the 2nd part anyway. Yes, he misused lyricist.

But for the 2nd point:

Its not all songs, but some songs he definitely does it everytime they play them

I think a lot of it is just him being winded. And I don't necessarily mean the smoking, though that undoubtedly doesn't help. But listen to how fast they play Corduroy, Even Flow, g2f, etc. these days. the band races through the songs and he has to race to keep up, which I'm sure is exhausting and means his delivery is rushed. When they take time to let the songs breathe and groove at their natural pace, like they did at Benaroya, he's better than ever before. But the rest of the time, he IS kinda hit and miss. I don't think it's all his fault.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Ed is not a walking-talking-jukebox! :geek:

I think we can count on the fact that he's trying to sing the songs the best way he can on any given night.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    mrshock13 wrote:
    Ok, so I gave one of my friend, who has never listened to pearl jam, their first 3 albums. After a few weeks, I asked her what she thought of them, and she said they were ok, but she hated the vocals. She said that she likes "smooth" vocals, and hearing that about eddie, I almost flipped out and lost my shit and exploded on her. I had to catch myself.
    Let her listen to No Code, Eddie's vocals are pretty 'smooth' on some of the songs.

On second thought, Yield might be a better choice.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    walknthecowwalknthecow Posts: 35
    we've always thought he could make his voice fit the song like he can make lyrics fit the music, incredibly perfect we're on the 20th row center for nashville2 cant wait!
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    people bashing on Ed's voice should listen to Into the Wild
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    I agree, cant wait for the sequel.
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    I played Guitar Hero World Tour last weekend and I did a lot of the singing. When I woke up the next day, my voice was killing me. I have no idea what it would be like to be Eddie and to have screamed your lungs out over and over again for all these years. And NOBODY ever screamed quite like Ed did back in the day.
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    Jesus! Whine, piss and moan. He's not a fucking machine people...get a grip or go start your own band and do it the "right" way. Fuck.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    damen wrote:
    I played Guitar Hero World Tour last weekend and I did a lot of the singing. When I woke up the next day, my voice was killing me. I have no idea what it would be like to be Eddie and to have screamed your lungs out over and over again for all these years. And NOBODY ever screamed quite like Ed did back in the day.

So true, when they tour my voice is gone from the first night....couldn't even imagine doing 70+ shows :shock:
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    damen wrote:
    people bashing on Ed's voice should listen to Into the Wild

People bashing on Ed's voice shouldn't be listening to Pearl Jam. :roll:
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    He's older and not many singers out there are as vocally demanding on a throat than Ed. Dude brings it and almost always sounds great live.

I could almost guarantee smoking or not, he would sound the same now, age has more to do with it than anything. Voices constantly change over the years.

However with great boots since 2000 people have become hypercritical, he had more rough nights in the early years. He is more consistent now partly because he protects his voice from too many screams.

IMHO
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    My shower stuff aside.... Edward Severson's voice is amazing. And like funnygirl.. it takes me places... it touches my heart, and emotions. NO other band does that for me.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    screamingPJscreamingPJ Posts: 54
    Eddie's voice is the only reason I listen to either Pearl Jam or his solo stuff. Try listening to some of the slower songs (especially) and forget the words - just listen to his voice...you don't even need to know the words to know what he's singing about. There is so much pure emotion in his voice that he conveys the whole story of the song just through the sound of his voice.

While some think his voice sounds bad, I find it unconventional at worst...I guess I'm just drawn to those singers that don't need words to tell a story...and Eddie is #1 on the list.
This discussion has been closed.