parachutes and light years...

GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
edited April 2009 in The Porch
I'm such a wuss!! I seriously cannot even listen to these two songs without getting seriously depressed. They're so beautiful to me, but yet so sad. They hit some sort of button in me that, really, nothing else in the world does. Eddie, best writer ever.
Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I wish I could get into Parachutes. It grates my ears like no other in the PJ catalogue. Even had the privilege to hear it live and still... my ears bleed.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    really? I think it's perfect. Really the only song on the last album that gets me. A lot of people seem to hate it, i mean it is different, i can understand why people dont like it, but man the lyrics kill me!
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    I love both songs, especially Parachutes. It seems to be a love it or hate it song though. Took me while to get in to it, but when it clicked, it really clicked :)
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    Light Years is a great song......and one of my all-time favorites........

Parachutes could possibly be one of the worst songs written and performed by any band....in the last 4,734 years.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Parachutes could possibly be one of the worst songs written and performed by any band....in the last 4,734 years.......
    hahaha! I don't get it! What's so bad about this song? "Further back and forth a wave will break on me today..." cmon!! Everyone must admit the lyrics are amazing. Right?
    Gmoney wrote:

hahaha! I don't get it! What's so bad about this song? "Further back and forth a wave will break on me today..." cmon!! Everyone must admit the lyrics are amazing. Right?
    wrong......

hehehehehehe..............................

its almost as bad as unemployable...or is it..

unenjoyable??
    unlistenable???
    unbearable????

hehehehehehehe...............
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    So was Parachutes the missing ingredient of the infamous Cincy '06 show? :mrgreen:
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
    BeerBaron wrote:
    So was Parachutes the missing ingredient of the infamous Cincy '06 show? :mrgreen:
    actually i think cincy got that song.....right????

i know cincy got green disease......hehehehehehehe

and even flow.....hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe..................

fuck cincy..........
    im not a fan of unemployable either, but this hate for parachutes saddens me :(
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    Gmoney wrote:
    I'm such a wuss!! I seriously cannot even listen to these two songs without getting seriously depressed. They're so beautiful to me, but yet so sad. They hit some sort of button in me that, really, nothing else in the world does. Eddie, best writer ever.

great songs!
    danny d
  • rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    I absolutely LOVE Parachutes. Beautiful song!!
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Same, why don't so many people like it.
    That and Wishlist.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    This is weird 'cos thematically, they're very similar songs, part of the message being i used to be this, now you came along and i'm redeemed.
    'we were but stones, your light made us stars'
    and
    'I would've fallen from the sky til you, parachutes have opened now.'

They both use identical modes to get their point across but it's not a bad thing, Bruce has been doing it for 30 years :)
  • CraneCrane Posts: 192
    Didn't like Parachutes till I heard it in Paris. It blew me away. It really hits home when you hear it live how moving it is. As for Light Years, it's always been one of my favourite PJ tracks. In my top 10 easily. Amazing amazing song
    "The mind is a wonderfull thing to be altered"

The Point, Dublin 2006
    Bercy, Paris September 11, 2006
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf, 2007
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    You should hear the Milan 06 boot, the version on there blew me away!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Parachutes and Unemployable are both awesome, beautifully written songs...easily the best songs on Avocado. My guess is that Speedy McCready has beans in his ears.
  • love light years..hate parachutes..ironically i was at the Boston show the first time they ever played parachutes live..still hate it though! that and last kiss could forever fall off all future set lists and it would be cool with me!!

play more Binaural you pussies!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I love Light Years but I really hate Parachutes. Every time I listen to Avacado I skip over this song. It is the worst PJ song ever!!!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    Parachutes reminds me of family. I love the song so much I got the word "infinitum" tattooed on my chest. I feel there is no denying EV's writing ability. But I guess everyone has their own opinion.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    light years is a top 5 song.

and parachutes i thought was the only good song off avocado.
  • pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,078
    Light Years is top notch....and well parachutes...eeeek...I can take it or leave it...
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    edited April 2009
    It is the worst PJ song ever!!!

Oh, get real. It's funny how many of Pearl Jam's most accomplished, satisying compositions are in most people's Top 10 "least favorite" songs lists. The more generic the better. You people might as well be listening to Bon Jovi (if you aren't already). There are so many worthless opinions on this board when it comes to songwriting.
    Post edited by Evacuation Rules on
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 718
    Gmoney wrote:

I still get weepy eyed over Light Years because it came out not a year after my father passed away. that song will always be associated with my father's passing. :cry:
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
    eldarion75 wrote:
    This is weird 'cos thematically, they're very similar songs, part of the message being i used to be this, now you came along and i'm redeemed.
    'we were but stones, your light made us stars'
    and
    'I would've fallen from the sky til you, parachutes have opened now.'

They both use identical modes to get their point across but it's not a bad thing, Bruce has been doing it for 30 years :)
    Hmmm, you maybe onto something here...
    It is the worst PJ song ever!!!

Oh, get real. It's funny how many of Pearl Jam's most accomplished, satisying compositions are in most people's Top 10 "least favorite" songs lists. The more generic the better. You people might as well be listening to Bon Jovi (if you aren't already). There are so many worthless opinions on this board when it comes to songwriting.
    I agree with this statement, and I agree with your name!!
  • It is the worst PJ song ever!!!

worthless why? because they don't agree with you?! I think parachutes SUCKS! and my fav song is SOH..far from generic or everyones top 10...different people have different opinions..that's life..get used to it..but then again i'm talking to someone who's board name is taken from their 2nd worst song..so maybe it's your opinion that is worthless.

and i'd listen to Bon Jovi's greatest hits before i listen to parachutes..and i hate Bon Jovi !!
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    i enjoy parachutes more than i enjoy light years.
    so 'chute me.
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    frogwater wrote:
    i enjoy parachutes more than i enjoy light years.
    so 'chute me.

'Chute me :lol: good stuff :D
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    parachutes is one of the best songs off of S/T

imo

AMAZING
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• sickgirlsickgirl Posts: 139
    I love Light Years, but never really liked Parachutes.
    Fuck Cancer, fucking jerk