Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

soclosesoclose Posts: 628
edited March 2009 in Other Music
What does everyone think about Jason's new album? From what I've read on elsewhere it's supposed to be pretty good.

I just go my LP in the mail today, looking forward to listening to it tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping to see them on tour soon - doesn't leave much time to get to know the album beforehand!

PS: I can't believe there isn't a thread about this yet, but my search turned up no results!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    i was worried after the first listen but it's growing on me. there's some suspect songs on the first half, but once it gets to coda it's damn good. anybody else hear a lot of danko/manuel in the song sunstroke?
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I gave it a half-attentive listen last night and everything sounded good to me. Nothing mind blowing, but a pretty solid album that I'm sure will grow on me. :)
  • Their 1st album took a bit of time to grow on me, but I did eventually really like listening to it.

I gave the new album a decent listen, and overall I'm not really impressed so far. I love Jason's voice, but I'm not a huge fan of the music. It seems some songs are either too slow or too poppy. I really hope it grows on me.
  • haven't got the new album yet, but i did see them a couple weeks ago. the show (what i can remember of it) was pretty outstanding, and it was in a tiny place here in morgantown, wv. i was able to be practically onstage with them. but then i got really wasted.... oh well. so i'm trying again next weekend in pittsburgh. hopefully this time i'll remember it a bit better.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Snagged this baby last night....have not had a chance to listen to it yet.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • i picked it up yesterday and like it quite well but there are a couple that dont do much for me. good is my new theme song. i also got dan auerbachs album and was a little disappointed but it aint all bad.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I've listened to it a couple of times and, like the Sirens, it gets better with each listen. That being said, I still prefer his work with DBT opposed to his solo material.

He's a great songwriter...a true talent.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    patterson's got pneumonia so the last 2 shows have been all cooley and a little shonna. if forced to choose, i'm still a patterson guy but this is cool as hell. my only complaint is he didn't play sounds better in the song either night. they're both up on archive.org. shonna's even been singing purgatory line.
    Yeah, I'm hoping, selfishly, that they continue on with or without Patterson. We have tickets and hotel rooms for the Friday night show, so I'd rather not have to go to a make-up show. Regardless, we'll be on Beale Street Friday night.

Jason plays Nashville next month. If all goes well, I hope to plan out my trip to his show starting Monday morning.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

I'm listening to DBT show from the 20th and I'm loving all the Cooley. He's just amazing. (Shonna sounds kinda bad on "I'm Sorry Huston" though.:()

It looks like I will make it to see Jason this weekend, but I have to admit I'd rather see DBT (with or without Jason). I'm afraid his solo stuff will never compare to what he did with those guys.
    soclose wrote:
    It looks like I will make it to see Jason this weekend, but I have to admit I'd rather see DBT (with or without Jason). I'm afraid his solo stuff will never compare to what he did with those guys.

Regardless of what you think of his solo work, I hear his live show is pretty good. My buddies saw him last summer and said it was nothing short of spectacular. I'd like to see him at Hi-Tone in Memphis, but it's on a week night. The Nashville show is on a Saturday...which works out better. ;)

PBM

soclose wrote:

Regardless of what you think of his solo work, I hear his live show is pretty good. My buddies saw him last summer and said it was nothing short of spectacular. I'd like to see him at Hi-Tone in Memphis, but it's on a week night. The Nashville show is on a Saturday...which works out better. ;)

PBM

I'm sure I'll have a great time. I just need to get into the new album a little more before the day comes!

I just got into Jason/DBT a little over a year about, and my only DBT show was an opener for the Hold Steady. I feel like I'm doing everything backwards!
    I would like to retract any doubts I had about Jason. Last night was incredible - possibly the most fun I've had at a show. I would see these guys over Pearl Jam any day.

I was right up by the stage directly in front of my new favorite bass player, Jimbo (I was afraid he was going to get me in the face with his bass a couple times). Everyone around me was totally into the show (including a couple people who were maybe a little too into it). The music was great, Deer Tick was fun. It was just an all around great night.
    soclose wrote:
    I would like to retract any doubts I had about Jason. Last night was incredible - possibly the most fun I've had at a show. I would see these guys over Pearl Jam any day.

I was right up by the stage directly in front of my new favorite bass player, Jimbo (I was afraid he was going to get me in the face with his bass a couple times). Everyone around me was totally into the show (including a couple people who were maybe a little too into it). The music was great, Deer Tick was fun. It was just an all around great night.
    Saw them last tour....yeah, they are a smokin' hot little band.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Red Lukin2Red Lukin2 Posts: 108
    They're coming to Toronto in 2 days. I'm hitting the show and taking the next day off..can't wait!

Also giving my notice at my job the afternoon of the show as well ; )
  • soclose wrote:

i must have been right behind you. and i know exactly who you're talking about being "too" into it. they also smelled incredibly bad. on the plus side, the show was amazing, and the set was really different from one i saw a few weeks ago. i also got to meet jason outside before the show and talk to him for a second, and get a pic taken. it was a great night!
    soclose wrote:

i must have been right behind you. and i know exactly who you're talking about being "too" into it. they also smelled incredibly bad. on the plus side, the show was amazing, and the set was really different from one i saw a few weeks ago. i also got to meet jason outside before the show and talk to him for a second, and get a pic taken. it was a great night!

Aw, that's funny. Glad I didn't catch a whiff of those two, all though she did almost knock me over a couple times going to get more beer!

Very cool that you got to meet Jason! A while before Deer Tick came out I was standing by the bar talking to my friend when I looked over and there was Jason standing right next to me. He was talking to someone else and I'm way too awkward to know what to say to the guy anyway, but it was still kinda cool to think I'm standing next to the guy we all came to see.
    I just quit my job today and it feels great! On top of that I'm going to see Jason and drink my face off!!! :mrgreen:
    went to the buffalo show last night. i was surprised by how little of the new album they played, and by the number of covers, but it was still damn good. new drummer only fucked up once. and they reworked danko/manuel to give it a much more rockin ending than it had before.
    soldiers get strange
    try
    goddamn lonely love
    grown
    cigarettes and wine
    psycho killer (talking heads)
    danko/manuel
    chicago promenade
    good
    outfit
    holland, 1945 (neutral milk hotel)
    the man in me (dylan)
    jason guitar solo which i'm positive was a van halen song i can't place
    sway (stones)
    streetlights
    hurricanes and hand grenades
    decoration day
    brand new kind of actress
    last song i will write
    never gonna change
    i don't wanna fight (petty)
    Dylan, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Talking Heads . . . Neutral Milk Hotel??? That's an interesting addition!
    Toronto rocked! 3rd time seeing them and this was by far the best show. I think the new drummer really helped. Plus they played much longer than I expected.

Jason came out afterwards to chat with fans, take pictures, and sign things. He seemed to be in good spirits..what a great guy!

Barely any merch though. All they had was a box of cd's, and for $20 mind you..

Ending with Decoration Day was mint! :mrgreen:
    Red Lukin2 wrote:
    Toronto rocked! 3rd time seeing them and this was by far the best show. I think the new drummer really helped. Plus they played much longer than I expected.

Jason came out afterwards to chat with fans, take pictures, and sign things. He seemed to be in good spirits..what a great guy!

Interesting. They had a number of shirts and some vinyl at the Pittsburgh show (though I didn't buy anything myself).

Very cool that they finished with "Decoration Day." That has to be the perfect show closer.
    soclose wrote:
    Red Lukin2 wrote:

Interesting. They had a number of shirts and some vinyl at the Pittsburgh show (though I didn't buy anything myself).

Very cool that they finished with "Decoration Day." That has to be the perfect show closer.

I chatted with Jason for a sec after the show and asked about the merch. He said they don't want to risk taking too much across. Not sure what that means, but maybe there's a risk of not letting them bring across certain items? He also mentioned paying duty taxes also causes a problem; likely meaning the profits don't make it worth while.

Too bad cause I was looking forward to adding to my small vinyl collection..
    Bought my tickets for the Nashville show (Saturday) this morning.

Get to see Jason this weekend and DBT in 2 weeks down in Memphis!

PBM

• Seven Mile Island is may new favorite song.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
    Great show in Nashville on Saturday night...plus, got a picture with Jason before the show.

PBM

Great show in Nashville on Saturday night...plus, got a picture with Jason before the show.

PBM
    Cool grits.... :mrgreen:
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    edited September 2021
    This should be fun. And a Black Crowes cover featuring Steve Gorman!?!?! :bee:

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    jjflash said:

Yup. Definitely looking forward to this.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • jjflash said:

After looking at the RSD Black Friday list, this is the only one that really interests me. This says exclusive vinyl for RSD, but on the RSD page it says RSD First.