edited January 2009 in The Porch
Features
radar
KATHY MCCABE
23 January 2009
Daily Telegraph
1 - State
English

IF YOU'RE going to have a catch-up chat with Eddie Vedder, the perfect timing for it would be a few hours after the inauguration of US President Barack Obama.

The Pearl Jam frontman, who was outspoken against the Bush administration, says he had "100 different emotions" as he watched the celebrations in Washington D.C.

"Relief, exhiliration, joy; at least we are going to be able to let go of some of the anger," he says from his Seattle home.

"Obama seems to be a true gift. Ten minutes after he was elected, I felt the goodwill on the planet double.

"It seems part of the enormous job he faces was to create hope in people and around the world.

"The night he was elected, I got calls from around the world. It was incredibly moving."

Vedder says Pearl Jam are back in the studio working on a new album as the grunge godfathers also prepare the first of their remastered reissues, kicking off with their breakthrough 1991 debut record Ten in four different versions on March 21.
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• have you a link for this?
  • Eddie you don't have time to sit and watch the inaguration coverage. GET BACK IN THE STUDIO!!
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    have you a link for this?
    Sorry, I don't. I have a news service which provides the text of articles from a zillion sources. It names the publication, etc., but doesn't provide links, pictures, etc. It's sort of like a transcript.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    have you a link for this?
    Sorry, I don't. I have a news service which provides the text of articles from a zillion sources. It names the publication, etc., but doesn't provide links, pictures, etc. It's sort of like a transcript.

I can vouch for the reliability of Veddernarian in the past. He told us about the Italian tour weeks before 10c :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • googoo Posts: 226
    people that carry on about the "hope and change" that they are sure is coming with Obama really are coming across so naive, like they're thinking he's going to wave some kind of magic wand and everything is going to automatically be better just because he isn't Bush. Obama has already got a lot of liberals mad at him, and it's just a matter of time before certain groups of people realize they just ain't getting from him what they expect. all this ass-kissing just because he's a breath of fresh air is getting annoying. he hasn't done a damn thing that should impress anyone yet.

back to the subject: cool article. nice to know they're in the studio, and hopefully will cranking out some better material.
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    he just got here. Give him a damn day!
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • goo wrote:
    like they're thinking he's going to wave some kind of magic wand and everything is going to automatically be better just because he isn't Bush.

Ya that about sums it up. The world is already a better place with that criminal out of office. If you can't see or feel that then your the naive one.
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    goo wrote:
    people that carry on about the "hope and change" that they are sure is coming with Obama really are coming across so naive, like they're thinking he's going to wave some kind of magic wand and everything is going to automatically be better just because he isn't Bush. Obama has already got a lot of liberals mad at him, and it's just a matter of time before certain groups of people realize they just ain't getting from him what they expect. all this ass-kissing just because he's a breath of fresh air is getting annoying. he hasn't done a damn thing that should impress anyone yet.

back to the subject: cool article. nice to know they're in the studio, and hopefully will cranking out some better material.

He's already announced the closure of Guantanamo - which is good news to me.
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • to me it sounds like Ed should really soak up this worldly good well for inspiration for new song lyrics...
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    goo wrote:

Ha! Laughable! The fact that some liberals are upset with him is music to my ears. It's called bipartisnship...he is taking advice from both sides of the isle and then making a decision based on their discussions. I'm a liberal and I'm proud that a "liberal" President is open to all sides for discussion.

Isn't that what you wanted? The fact alone that the world is celebrating as one is awesome to me. Give the guy a chance...he already is fullfilling some promises in just the first two days.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • googoo Posts: 226
    goo wrote:

Ha! Laughable! The fact that some liberals are upset with him is music to my ears. It's called bipartisnship...he is taking advice from both sides of the isle and then making a decision based on their discussions. I'm a liberal and I'm proud that a "liberal" President is open to all sides for discussion.

Isn't that what you wanted? The fact alone that the world is celebrating as one is awesome to me. Give the guy a chance...he already is fullfilling some promises in just the first two days.

I amgiving him a chance. I've got no other choice as a U.S. citizen but to do so. it's not that I want him to fuck up just so I can say to all the libs "I told you so." I'm just as affected if he screws up, so yeah I'm rooting for him now. but I'm also not one of those people who already think he's a god just because he's taken office. it's like one of those bullshit up-front bonuses, ya know.
  • Cool! Thanks for posting this... :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
    edited January 2009
    It's bad enough that average politically inept citizens are being duped by this globalist whore..but Ed is supposed to be more informed than that!

Obama is a fraud! he is a puppet just like Bush and he is even more of a wall street whore than Bush!!(record breaking campaign contributions from wall street )all the bankers who engineered this financial collapse are behind his administration..it's fucking ridiculous how easy it is to pull one over on the dumbed down American public now a days!We went from the most intelligent nation in the world 50yrs ago to the dumbest industrialized nation on the planet today...and it wasn't by chance or accident.

so get ready for Nazi style youth brigades,expansion of government and the police state,food riots,more foreign wars and more soldiers dieing,carbon taxes that will destroy what is left of our industry in this country(that all the "well meaning idiots" will think is a good idea because they all swallow the man made global warming fraud)

but it's OK because It's not Bush and Obama love us :roll:

and save your "take it to the moving train" comments...I know you don't like being exposed to the ugly truth..too bad...the honeymoon is over and you will all see I speak the truth when you decide to pull your heads out of the sand.
    Post edited by U R A Crazy Breed on
  • and closing Gitmo is meaningless...they will just cart those poor goat herders off to some other secret prison.
  • and closing Gitmo is meaningless...they will just cart those poor goat herders off to some other secret prison.

PLEASE!!!!!
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I have a feeling the tone and feel of this album will be much different than Avocado and Riot Act. He is in a better mood and Brendan is producing for the first time since YIELD. Maybe we will have some more positive, uplifting songs.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Flagg wrote:
    I have a feeling the tone and feel of this album will be much different than Avocado and Riot Act. He is in a better mood and Brendan is producing for the first time since YIELD. Maybe we will have some more positive, uplifting songs.

yeah..and i have a great title for it...."Ignorance is Bliss"
  • Yeah, and another title could be: YOU'RE TOTALLY OT!!
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Flagg wrote:

I agree...
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Yeah, and another title could be: YOU'RE TOTALLY OT!!

How exaclty? Ed mentioned his mood, the article mentioned the studio. Totally On Topic if you ask me.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    and closing Gitmo is meaningless...they will just cart those poor goat herders off to some other secret prison.

You mean those secret prisons that he ordered closed yesterday?

we are talking about the CIA...they do what they want..often without the presidents knowledge.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    and closing Gitmo is meaningless...they will just cart those poor goat herders off to some other secret prison.

we are talking about the CIA...they do what they want..often without the presidents knowledge.

So you fault him for something you admit goes on "without the presidents knowledge"?
  • So you fault him for something you admit goes on "without the presidents knowledge"?

I don't fault him for that...but i do fault him for being a pawn..all to willing to do the bidding of his masters..the president has NO POWER!! people think Bush was resposible for all the crap that went on for the past 8 years! the President is a fall guy/scape goat/lightning rod/bird cage liner.

they just get rid of Bush and everyone thinks everything is going to be OK now..even though the people who gave Bush his orders will be giving Obama his as well.
  • Flagg wrote:

I agree...

I agree too.