WBCN Boston: "PJ Sellouts"

NorthShoreBluesNorthShoreBlues Posts: 181
edited January 2009 in The Porch
Today on the ride home, I heard the DJ refer to this blog/article on the station's website, i feared this would happen, wbcn boston dissin PJ ruthlessly . . . get ready to endure some bad press in the next few months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wbcn.com/pages/3477389.php?c ... Id=3197020

- Pearl Jam is shameless. They're releasing FOUR versions of their album "10" - a deluxe edition, a legacy edition, a vinyl edition and a SUPER deluxe edition. As if that weren't bad enough, it's all part of a 2 year re-release master plan to celebrate the band's 20th anniversary and soak their fans for more dough.

- KISS plans to hit the studio next year for a new album, despite what Gene Simmons told Billboard magazine last year. The ultimate douche bag said, ""There is nothing in me that wants to go in there and do new music. How are you going to deliver it? How are you going to get paid for it if people can just get it for free?" More importantly, who in the world cares about a new album from KISS?

- Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan says he's done with making albums. "There is no point. People don't even listen to it all. They put it on their iPod, they drag over the two singles and skip over the rest." News flash, Billy; people did that with CDs too.
1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    If anyone should now about compromising integrity for the almighty dollar its the good folks over at WBCN.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    And it's coming from their favorite city :D
    that's just funny.
    Although that looks like someone made up that page and had it resemble an actual page from that radio stations website. It kind of looks fake.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • in all honesty, i think its overkill too. they are gonna take flak for it.
    i can't wait till my SUPER DELUXE gets here though. evil little goat on vinyl, can spin it parties now........when i want everyone out, that is.
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    They made 4 versions of it so people wouldn't have to buy the super deluxe edition if they didn't want all the extras...I don't get it. What does this band have to do to prove that they are not sellouts??? I guess everything they release has to be free and followed by a free tour
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • To steal a line from Jason Newstead..... Yeah, Pearl Jam sellsout! Every time they play a show! Screw those guys. Its not like They sold their music for a credit cad company. Thats what Nickleback is for.
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • I think its a good thing what PJ is doing with the TEN reissue.... I mean not all of there fans could afford the super deluxe edition, like other. So offering 4 different versions at four different price levels is just smart marketing, and allows consumers the option to pick which version meets a fair price based on house hold income... plus some people just dont like vinyl.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    to quote the once great and wise Jason Newsted...yes pearl jam has sold out...every fucking show!

If they build it we will come, so if they make it we will buy it, who gives a shit if we are willing to fork the cash out who gives a flying fuck? They release 4 versions just for the fact people can choose a package they can afford and enjoy, and that is selling out...yes milking it a little I agree, but we lemming will buy it and love every moment of remastered/remixed tracks. It will be like hearing it for the first time again....money is nothing compared to the joy of pulling a new version of ten out of a 12 X 12 inch sleeve!
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    So 20 years in, after the band has been ridiculously successful and just a popular as they have ever been, now they are sellouts?
    That doesn't make any sense.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    Who cares, it's just one dude's opinion.

Where does it call them sellouts? Was it on the broadcast or were you just calling them sellouts.
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    How would you find that link?

How would you be able to navigate through the site and get to that exact spot .... seems like a really random post, with no author.

I can't see a radio station jsut blasting away like that, something seems off here.

What is the "WBCN UNION" ... is that like a user page for BCN? Seems like these may be comments of someone NOT affiliated with the station.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    WBCN stinks, there are no more decent Boston music stations. Sirius is the way to go. How anyone listens to regular radio now is beyond me.
  • funnygirlfunnygirl Posts: 529
    WBCN Sucks ass as a radio station here in the Boston area......They always have!

Who gives a sh*t what they think, or say for that matter, PJ die-hard fans are over a WFNX anyway!
  • ChrissybChrissyb Posts: 122
    BCN hasn't played good music since they fired Nik Carter..

I used to get really annoyed with what the DJ's said..now I listen to Sirius..
    **find what you love, love what you find**
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    funnygirl wrote:
    WBCN Sucks ass as a radio station here in the Boston area......They always have!

Who gives a sh*t what they think, or say for that matter, PJ die-hard fans are over a WFNX anyway!

agreed, although i'm more partial to AAF.

newmarket, eh? big fan of muddy river...not far from you... yum!
    I love to turn you on
  • Yeah, stupidity like this is why I haven't listened to the radio in years. Three cheers for Aux. In and WMA Disc players in the car.
    If Adam and Eve had Taco Bell they would have never eaten that filthy fruit...
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    …and then somebody cared :lol: …not.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• What would've been even better is if the guy said, "Billy Corgan has decided to stop making music all together and become a carpenter."
    7/27/1992: Lollapalooza, St. Louis; 7/11/1995: Soldier Field, Chicago
    7/2/1998: Riverport, St. Louis; 7/3/1998: Sandstone, KC; 10/9/2000: Rosemont Horizon, Chicago; 10/12/2000 Sandstone, KC; 6/12/2003: Sanstone, KC; 6/13/2003 MAC Center, Omaha
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    what a donkey. I would hardly consider the rerelease schedule a sell out move. espeically considering how difficult it is to find some of the albums on vinyl (not counting eBay).
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I find it comical how everyone defends the band when they're refered to as sell-outs. They sold out twenty years ago and I for one do not find anything wrong with that. They were able to sell-out and maintain their integrity. Not too many bands can say the same. All the fans should embrace the new "sell-out" it just means more material for them to enjoy.
    #FHP
  • I love BCN radio, but it's hard to defend them here. Although, I'm pretty sure this is just a blog written by one of the DJ's or staffers and the whole station shouldn't be condemned. They play good music including multiple PJ songs a day and Toucher and Rich is by far the funniest show in the market today.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • I love BCN radio, but it's hard to defend them here. Although, I'm pretty sure this is just a blog written by one of the DJ's or staffers and the whole station shouldn't be condemned. They play good music including multiple PJ songs a day and Toucher and Rich is by far the funniest show in the market today.

LoveBoatAdmiral nailed it. The quote is from "Half Assed News" by Hardy (one of the DJ's). I know Adam12 is a HUGE PJ fan and has talked about them often. The station in general (as do many of the stations in Boston) play tons of PJ. I wouldn't condemn the station because of one dudes opinion.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I don't know what all the ruckus is about... it's just a celebration. And this is one opinion. I don't know how this person formed this opinion and it really doesn't matter, right. He is entitled to it.
    And the bottom line... the Super Deluxe Set... no one NEEDS it... some of us WANT it... but, none of us NEED it. It is OUR choice to spend the dollars on it or not, right? And if you believe that you NEED this set, then I would think you might want to re-evaluate your priorities.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    They made 4 versions of it so people wouldn't have to buy the super deluxe edition if they didn't want all the extras...I don't get it. What does this band have to do to prove that they are not sellouts??? I guess everything they release has to be free and followed by a free tour

For starters... how about making their message board free rather than restricted to a few elite paying members?
  • Once again it is important to remember that this is one DJ's opinion but also that the re-release probably is going to take some heat from the casual fan community and some in the music business. All of these extras are very cool to the more dedicated fan especially the vinyl collectors. It really is the more dedicated fan that has been collecting vinyl anyway, so assuming all the albums are re-released on vinyl, shows that they are doing this for their closest fans. Now no one says you have to buy the super deluxe or any of them so I personally don't see how this is selling out, the extras are cool if you are a more devoted fan and those are the people that I believe this is really targeted at, I don't think its a money making scheme because you can still buy all the original albums in best buy for 12 bucks, so I just don't think this is "selling out".
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Just one more reason why I hate boston so much.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Just one more reason why I hate boston so much.
    :lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    Yeah, stupidity like this is why I haven't listened to the radio in years. Three cheers for Aux. In and WMA Disc players in the car.

You couldn't be more right. If you have a certain level of emotional intelligence, you certainly do not want to hear a snot-nosed DJ's "take" on anything. I never listen to the radio.
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    funnygirl wrote:

I gotta disagree with you on that. I hear a lot of PJ on BCN. They play lots of grunge and 90's music, sure, but a lot of the new bands and songs suck so they stick with what works. I tried FNX a couple of times and I hear a lot of whiny, emo shit. Sure, they play some good songs, but not enough for me to convert.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Chrissyb wrote:
    BCN hasn't played good music since they fired Nik Carter..

I used to get really annoyed with what the DJ's said..now I listen to Sirius..
    Carter was part of the problem too, 'BCN hasn't been the same since the days of Charles Laquidara and "Captain" Ken Shelton (and when Carter Alan left as music director). They used to be a trend setter in rock radio, now they're another corporate sheep.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • I live in the Boston area and I do not listen to WBCN. I have always hated that station. I listen to WAAF they play better music and play tons of Pearl Jam along with other really good bands. I listen to WAAF everyday at work BUT I have Sirius satellite radio in my car and at home...I prefer Sirius but I don't have it at work so I listen to WAAF. WAAF would never post something stupid like that about Pearl Jam...they love them. :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13