The Curse of the Hidden track

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
This is something that really irratates me. When you come to the supposedly end of an album and you have to wait from anywhere from ten seconds to twenty minutes for the ending song. Why not just but it down on the albums.
Was it first started by The beatles on pepper with the "Never could see any other one" after "A Day in the life" ?
I remember live had one at the end of theirs but they wasn't really a wait.

Its the speeding forwards that irratates me. Should these be stopped?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yeah... i don't get it either. I can see maybe an unlisted track at the end, but minutes of silence between them on some albums annoys me.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    On Damien Rice's last album there was a ten minute wait
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    speeding forward as in that one Korn cd that doesn't start until like track 13 or whatever it is.

the tracks leading up to where the music starts arent real long silent tracks but still they are there and very silent.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    fada wrote:
    This is something that really irratates me. When you come to the supposedly end of an album and you have to wait from anywhere from ten seconds to twenty minutes for the ending song. Why not just but it down on the albums.
    Was it first started by The beatles on pepper with the "Never could see any other one" after "A Day in the life" ?

I think the idea is to surprise you.
    The CD ended, you're doing something arounf the room and then a new song (of sorts) begins. It's kinda cool to me.

but i would not make the wait more than a minute or so.
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    the worst is on nervermind. If I remeber, you have to wait 20 or 25 minutes before teh hidden track starts... I don't like that. It's nice if the track satrts 30 second or 1 minute after the end of the alst track, but 10 or 20 minutes is fucking ridiculous...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I forget which Mudhoney album it is, but it seems that the "hidden track" is the entire album backwards. Or a very big portion of the album.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I used to listen to Binaural every day on the bus, fall asleep nicely during Soon Forget/Parting Ways then get the shite frightened outta me when the typewriter started!

I like hidden tracks though, its like I'm getting something for free :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Dave Matthews Under the Table and Dreaming has the last track titled #34, and it's actually the 34th track on the CD, so after the first 11 tracks, you have like 23 blank tracks in between. This is really annoying on shuffle... at least on itunes or an ipod you can just delete the blank tracks.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    Jennytree wrote:
    I used to listen to Binaural every day on the bus, fall asleep nicely during Soon Forget/Parting Ways then get the shite frightened outta me when the typewriter started!

I like hidden tracks though, its like I'm getting something for free :D
    i have done the same thing...scared the crap outta me.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Buru wrote:
    I think the idea is to surprise you.
    The CD ended, you're doing something arounf the room and then a new song (of sorts) begins. It's kinda cool to me.

but i would not make the wait more than a minute or so.

it doesn't work anymore though when you can usually tell when you load the cd how long the track is and know the actual song wasn't that long.

or you have ok go, whose last track on their last cd was 35 minutes and there was no secret song. just a long silence to end.
  • chadwick wrote:
    speeding forward as in that one Korn cd that doesn't start until like track 13 or whatever it is.

do you realize how many idiots went back to the music store to return their Korn CD because they thought it was defective? I should know, I worked at Blockbuster Music at the time of the release.

they didn't pay attention to the big sticker on the front that said "Hey Moron! The music begins on track 13!"
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I hate hidden tracks, as if ANYONE was going to let their CD run for over 30s with no music... :rolleyes:

reminds me that I have to make an edit of the Guaranteed track to remove that stupid silence.

• or you have ok go, whose last track on their last cd was 35 minutes and there was no secret song. just a long silence to end.
    oh the mars volta had something strange too, didn't they? :o

They don't work in the cd and internet age cos you always know the secret before you find out for yourself...
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i will be hating you for christmas
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    ~Isn't there a wait of over 30 on one of heathen chemistry for an Oasis song.

Stone roses second coming is as annoying as hell as here is about 40 3 seconds clips on it after the last song . You can't shuffle the album
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    fada wrote:

The Pepper one wasn't so much a hidden track as an inner groove loop, on the LP.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I've always called the hidden track the shuffle beater.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Dave Matthews Under the Table and Dreaming has the last track titled #34, and it's actually the 34th track on the CD, so after the first 11 tracks, you have like 23 blank tracks in between. This is really annoying on shuffle... at least on itunes or an ipod you can just delete the blank tracks.
    Tool had a similar thing on Undertow. I think it was track 69. The first time I had it in my car CD player back in the day, I thought my deck had gone haywire.
  • Kinda like the holiday single. Keep bitching about it. :)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Kinda like the holiday single. Keep bitching about it. :)
    Are we still bitching about the holiday single?  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    I’ve hidden a track in this thread
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    I forget which Mudhoney album it is, but it seems that the "hidden track" is the entire album backwards. Or a very big portion of the album.
    My Brother the Cow
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    fada said:

Live hid the track "Horse" at the end of Throwing Copper, as a completely separate track, with just a slightly longer pause at the end of "White, Discussion". 
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."