Ladybugs

TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I have a pet ladybug.lol
It was walking across my screen and then jumped down onto my backspace button. I want it to move because I am a horrible typer.

Here are some cool ladybug facts:

In Sweden, folks believe that if a ladybug lands on a young maiden's hand, she will soon be getting married.
If you find a ladybug in your house, count the number of spots and that is how many dollars you will soon receive.

In England, finding a ladybug means that you will have a good harvest.

In France, if you are sick and a ladybug lands on you, when it flies away, it will take the sickness with it.

If a ladybug has more than seven spots, then there will be a famine. If it has less than seven, then there will be a good harvest.

At one time, doctors would mash up ladybugs and put them in a cavity to cure a toothache.

Some people believe that the number of spots on a ladybug indicates how many children you will have.

If you find a ladybug in your house in the winter you will have good luck.
Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    More facts in Britain and I presume Ireland as well (possible Oz and NZ) we call them Ladybirds ... I don't know if you have the same rhyme but if one landed on us we would say "Ladybird, ladybird fly away home, Your house in on fire and your children are gone" and then gently blow it away :)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I like ladybugs. One of the only bugs I won't kill if it lands on me :)
    NERDS!
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    If you believe in things like this, then it is good luck if one lands on you.
    :)
    I love them. And I love that some people call them ladybirds. :)

Our house is always surrounded by ladybugs. Good for my garden.
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,457
    i know this 4 year old child that had a ladybug fly on her arm and when she looked closer to see it (i was standing beside her) well it flew away quickly and went directly down in her ear...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• I don't like them when they are flying, they look horrible :o Other than that I don't mind them.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    i have these all over my house. tough little bugs.
    I love to turn you on
    i have these all over my house. tough little bugs.
    They are your friends steve.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I have a pet ladybug.lol
    It was walking across my screen and then jumped down onto my backspace button. I want it to move because I am a horrible typer.

Here are some cool ladybug facts:

In Sweden, folks believe that if a ladybug lands on a young maiden's hand, she will soon be getting married.
    If you find a ladybug in your house, count the number of spots and that is how many dollars you will soon receive.

In England, finding a ladybug means that you will have a good harvest.

In France, if you are sick and a ladybug lands on you, when it flies away, it will take the sickness with it.

If a ladybug has more than seven spots, then there will be a famine. If it has less than seven, then there will be a good harvest.

At one time, doctors would mash up ladybugs and put them in a cavity to cure a toothache.

Some people believe that the number of spots on a ladybug indicates how many children you will have.

If you find a ladybug in your house in the winter you will have good luck.
    never heard of that in France..and I'll have TONS of luck because I have a godamn invasion of them!
  • Chime wrote:
    More facts in Britain and I presume Ireland as well (possible Oz and NZ) we call them Ladybirds ... I don't know if you have the same rhyme but if one landed on us we would say "Ladybird, ladybird fly away home, Your house in on fire and your children are gone" and then gently blow it away :)
    yep, we call them ladybirds... and all the superstitious stuff... quite a bit of it sounds familiar... I'm not sure but I think we may have believed ALL that stuff :D

I used to think they were pretty... til I realised they were beetles :o :eek: fucking polka dotted beetles! Urgh!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • I miss ladybirds/bugs. I haven't seen any since I moved to a big town. :(
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I don't like them when they are flying, they look horrible :o Other than that I don't mind them.

definitely don't like them when they're flying! :eek:

my friend and I used to have tons of ladybugs as pets. we had a huge glass jar that was their home. (only for a few days at a time, then we released them in to the wild. ;)) one time we got to take them to school too and tell our classmates about them. :) then, during recess one boy from our class made holes on the paper that we had over the jar (tissue paper of sort, we used to keep it wet and put a sugarcube on it for our pets. :D) and most of the bugs flew away - all around our classroom. some even went to my pockets!!

we never kept them as pets again.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    TrixieCat wrote:

My favorite superstition is if a seagull shits on your head it's good luck. As such I'm constantly hanging out at the local dump.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    when I was a kid I used to removed ladybug's wings so they were not able to fly again
  • chinobaeza wrote:
    when I was a kid I used to removed ladybug's wings so they were not able to fly again

You bastard! :)
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    TrixieCat wrote:

Their proper names are Ladybird Beetles, so that's where the "Ladybird" comes from. They eat aphids, so yes, they're great to have around the garden too!

I thought at first this was going to be a thread about Rodney Dangerfield's last movie. Whew!
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    mookie9999 wrote:
    My favorite superstition is if a seagull shits on your head it's good luck. As such I'm constantly hanging out at the local dump.

i was outside during my lunch break one day and a pigeon shit on my hand. i was all pissed, because i didn't notice at first and wiped it all over my suit pants.

this was a few months ago, and i can't say anything lucky has happened to be since!
    i was outside during my lunch break one day and a pigeon shit on my hand. i was all pissed, because i didn't notice at first and wiped it all over my suit pants.

this was a few months ago, and i can't say anything lucky has happened to be since!

So are you saying I should stop hanging out at the Jersey shore?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    mookie9999 wrote:
    So are you saying I should stop hanging out at the Jersey shore?

the pigeon shitting incident was in the city.

but it would still be good advice to tell someone to stop hanging at the jersey shore. unless of course you are there for funnel cake.
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    What does it mean when you find a whole bunch of them dead on your porch? :(

I think ladybugs are the only bug I like. Well, them and lightening bugs.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
    drivingrl wrote:
    What does it mean when you find a whole bunch of them dead on your porch? :(

I think ladybugs are the only bug I like. Well, them and lightening bugs.

It means they were rats. And sometimes, rats need to be exterminated. Was the head of a seahorse placed anywhere near the carcasses?
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• roarroar Posts: 1,116
    insects creep me out.
    ladybugs are creepy insects in cute disguise.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    They are your friends steve.

A few weeks back there were 8 ladybugs one of my kid's bedroom ceiling. I looked like an idiot jumping up and down swatting them, but the kids loved it.
    I love to turn you on
    gabers wrote:
    Their proper names are Ladybird Beetles, so that's where the "Ladybird" comes from. They eat aphids, so yes, they're great to have around the garden too!

I thought at first this was going to be a thread about Rodney Dangerfield's last movie. Whew!
    We have a book for Holden called The Grouchy Ladybug. The one is grouchy because he doesn't want to share the aphids with the other one and goes on to try to take on every animal in town. lol

Steve, why were you swatting at them? They don't do any harm.
  • i love ladybugs. i had one fly into my car and was sittting on the dashboard last month, and then it happened against a week later! i figured that had to be good :)

my sis gave me this cute necklace that has a small ceramic tile wiht a ladybug handpainted on it, she has a matching one too. she figured that way even if one doesn't land on us we still have one anyway lol
    I know they are harmless, but my house looked like a ladybug farm!!!
    I love to turn you on
    I know they are harmless, but my house looked like a ladybug farm!!!
    With 8 ladybugs????? I really hope you didn't harm them. Or I am NEVER sending that cd back. :o sorry about that...
    Didn't Patrick like them?
    Teach Peace, friend.
    Teach Peace. :)

Chiqui:that is an adorable story. Ladybugs rock.
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    if i find a ladybug in my house, i will always attempt
    to catch it and put it back outside.

i could never squish them, they are way too cute.
    Nice shirt.
  • i thought the spots were an indication of how old they were?
  • The Day wrote:
    i thought the spots were an indication of how old they were?

wow... 34 years old and i find out i'm wrong

http://www.ladybuglady.com/LadybugsFAQ.htm

next thing you know someone will tell me there's no santa claus!!
    I love that you have all embraced ladybugs. :)
    Invite one over for Thanksgiving.