christmas lights question

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Is there a way to put up outdoor christmas lights without an outlet? like are there battery-powered outdoor lights?

I've got a great porch for lights now, but no outlets (the house is like a million years old). Any suggestions? (other than keeping a window open and stringing it through!)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Is there a way to put up outdoor christmas lights without an outlet? like are there battery-powered outdoor lights?

I've got a great porch for lights now, but no outlets (the house is like a million years old). Any suggestions? (other than keeping a window open and stringing it through!)

There are battery powered lights:

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/categorydetail.asp?CategoryID=1&source=g&camp=battery&gclid=CIaD5LP5-o8CFQGRPAodNEXXMg
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • know1 wrote:

yeah but I don't know if you can use those outside.
    and they only have an 8-hour burn life.
  • there are, but in my experience, they suck. batteries lose massive amounts of efficiency in the cold. outdoors i doubt they'd last even a night. even indoors, battery powered lights, while they last a bit loonger....just not very long.

as an environmentallly-minded individual, i would think you'd not want em. you would go through a prohibitive amount of batteries to run your lights for the holiday season.

is there not an outdoor outlet SOMEwhere? i think it would be far more cost effective/efficient to simply buy an outdoor extension cord, even a really long one, and use that to power your lights.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• there are, but in my experience, they suck. batteries lose massive amounts of efficiency in the cold. outdoors i doubt they'd last even a night. even indoors, battery powered lights, while they last a bit loonger....just not very long.

as an environmentallly-minded individual, i would think you'd not want em. you would go through a prohibitive amount of batteries to run your lights for the holiday season.

is there not an outdoor outlet SOMEwhere? i think it would be far more cost effective/efficient to simply buy an outdoor extension cord, even a really long one, and use that to power your lights.

yeah well that is sort of what I was getting at- like are there any *efficient* battery-powered lights out there, like rechargeable or something. My dad tells me there are solar powered xmas lights, but I think he is full of it. I wouldn't use those little indoor-like battery powered lights.

I really don't think there is an outlet! it's hard to see around the whole house because there is a lot of overgrown shrubbery, but so far I haven't found one.
  • run the extenstion cord to your neighbors outlet...

problem solved.........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • actually, there are solar xmas lights! (they look kinda crappy though)
    http://www.solarsanta.com/home.php
  • can you NOT light lights?? they are such a waste of energy!!

or if you put up lights, maybe just light them for a few hours each night...PLEASE don't leave them burning all night!! *faints with concern*
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    I had an older house a few years ago with no outside outlets and I ended up running an extension chord from my porch light (I got an adapter that screwed into the socket where the lightbulb goes - it had a 3-pronged outlet on the side and then a place beneath to put the lightbulb). It was definitely a life saver.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • actually, there are solar xmas lights! (they look kinda crappy though)
    http://www.solarsanta.com/home.php
    My experience with various types of solar lights are that they are quite dull. Do you have a garage? You could run an extension cord into your garage.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • can you NOT light lights?? they are such a waste of energy!!

or if you put up lights, maybe just light them for a few hours each night...PLEASE don't leave them burning all night!! *faints with concern*

oh god no, I wouldn't run them all night.

I've never done it before, but my house is very BLAH and the corner is very dark. I thought it might spruce things up a bit. I'm not a big energy consumer in general, I conserve as much as I can, so I thought maybe I'd ease up a bit on this one. If there were good solar lights or something, that would perfect. I just wanted to do something to help with all the darkness, especially this time of year. I read some about solar lights, and I don't think they would well on my porch, unless I could set the photovoltaic panel out somewhere where there is more sunshine. they work best near windows because the light reflects off the glass.
  • I didn't read all through the replies ... so someone may have already suggested this?

If you have a patio or porch light... you can buy a light socket with an outlet on the side of it. http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/productdetail.htm?productid=18184&CategoryID=106 You'll find these in any hardware store... maybe even your grocery store...

All you do is take off the light covering... screw in the new adaptor socket... put your light bulb back in and ... Voila! you have an outlet to use! Only problem is that you generally can't put the covering (globe) back over the light and that both decorative and functional lights are on the same switch. If you don't 'need' the functional light out there... Just leave it out.
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • jamainiac wrote:
    I didn't read all through the replies ... so someone may have already suggested this?

If you have a patio or porch light... you can buy a light socket with an outlet on the side of it. http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/productdetail.htm?productid=18184&CategoryID=106 You'll find these in any hardware store... maybe even your grocery store...

All you do is take off the light covering... screw in the new adaptor socket... put your light bulb back in and ... Voila! you have an outlet to use! Only problem is that you generally can't put the covering (globe) back over the light and that both decorative and functional lights are on the same switch. If you don't 'need' the functional light out there... Just leave it out.

hmm I was really excited about this solution, except that, my porch light hangs down from the top of the porch. Plus I share it with the upstairs neighbors.
  • call an electrician and have an outlet installed???

now there is an idea...

hehehehehehehehehehehehehe....................
  • call an electrician and have an outlet installed???

now there is an idea...

hehehehehehehehehehehehehe....................

no way! I don't own the house, I'm not paying for that.
  • no way! I don't own the house, I'm not paying for that.
    who owns the house that you want to decorate????
  • no way! I don't own the house, I'm not paying for that.
    installing a simple outlet is actually pretty simple and cheap......
  • who owns the house that you want to decorate????

um, my landlord. he doesn't live there though, it's me and a couple upstairs.
  • um, my landlord. he doesn't live there though, it's me and a couple upstairs.
    gotcha....i wasnt being a wise ass...

just curious...

if ya know anyone with any basic electrical knowledge they can install an outlet for you pretty simple and cheap.....wouldnt the landlord pay for it???
  • jojojojo Posts: 645
    DeLukin wrote:
    I had an older house a few years ago with no outside outlets and I ended up running an extension chord from my porch light (I got an adapter that screwed into the socket where the lightbulb goes - it had a 3-pronged outlet on the side and then a place beneath to put the lightbulb). It was definitely a life saver.

done that before as well plus you have the added bonus of flipping a switch (mine was inside the houseas well) to turn the lights on and off
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.