Options

Patrick Roy - The Best?

pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
edited November 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
For my money, the greatest goaltender ever. Of course, I grew up watching the guy. What do y'all think?

Also, did else anyone feel the ceremony last night was a bit awkward? Seemed like Roy felt more at home when the Avs retired his number.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    lralle wrote:
    For my money, the greatest goaltender ever. Of course, I grew up watching the guy. What do y'all think?

Also, did else anyone feel the ceremony last night was a bit awkward? Seemed like Roy felt more at home when the Avs retired his number.
    One of the best no question. The best? Possibly, but you'll never get agreement on the best.
    I don't think it was very awkward. Montreal loves the guy.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Easily top two or three....Marty B. makes a good argument for someone from the same era.....hopefully Marty's career will end on a higher note than Patrick's did.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    Marty Brodeur
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Yeah, I'll agree with that statement. To bad he left Montreal on such shitty terms, and his last game with Colorado was disapointing.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    lralle wrote:

great goalie but not the best. I'd put Marty ahead of him as the greatest ever though. Top 4 for me would be Brodeur, Roy, Sawchuk, Dryden...

edit: and ya the ceremony for Roy was good but i dunno... didn't seem like any emotion at all
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    He's one of the best for sure, but he's nuts. He reminds me a lot of Roger Clemens. Both were so singularly minded at their chosen job and succeeded so well that they ended up out of touch. Roy's been involved in several altercations after his retirement.

He's one of my favorites simply for the response to Jeremy Roenick
    "I can't hear him, I have my Stanley Cup rings in my ears."
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    tonestones Posts: 104
    When all is said and done, Marty will have been the best....my favourite tender.
    "Your light's reflected now,... reflected from afar...
    We were but stones,... your light made us stars"
  • Options
    leafs4ever wrote:
    great goalie but not the best. I'd put Marty ahead of him as the greatest ever though. Top 4 for me would be Brodeur, Roy, Sawchuk, Dryden...l
    Nice list....I would consider adding Hasek as #5.....great w/o the supporting cast for the majority of his career that these other guys had...
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Nice list....I would consider adding Hasek as #5.....great w/o the supporting cast for the majority of his career that these other guys had...
    Roy was without a stellar supporting cast much of the time...
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Roy was without a stellar supporting cast much of the time...
    Maybe in Montreal....at times......Colorado, no way, eh.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Maybe in Montreal....at times......Colorado, no way, eh.
    Yeah in Montreal. Colorado was pretty stacked when he was there.
  • Options
    Marty Brodeur.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    when it's all said and done, brodeur will have all the records. but throughout his entire career, he has had the luxury of having some of the best defensive teams of all time in front of him.

the devil's defensive game made brodeur. would have been interesting to see him have a mediocre team in front of him. i don't think he would be getting all of the hype he gets now.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    Yes Roy is the best. He always cam through in the clutch.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Nicky Walker, Maryhull boy borne and bread.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    Roy is the best. All due respect to Brodeur, but he was playing in a much more defensive system/league than Roy but Marty comes a close second.
  • Options
    2000-2001 stanley cup says it all, Roy is better than Brodeur
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time