Options

I'm Considering an iPhone....

Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
edited October 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm considering buying an iPhone and I was hoping you lot could help me out. I need to know the pros and cons from those who have one. I'm looking at using it as my everyday diary for work etc so is it any good for this etc?

Thanks

Love you guys :D
I need a coffee!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    My Dad has one and I use it quite frequently! It has good and bad points I guess. Like most apple stuff, it's pretty reliable, easy to use for the most part. My biggest problem with it is texting off it is such a pain in the ass. The touchscreen is a bit annoying to text with. That aside I really like it. Are you gonna go on the o2 network or are you gonna buy an unlocked one? :)
  • Options
    My Dad has one and I use it quite frequently! It has good and bad points I guess. Like most apple stuff, it's pretty reliable, easy to use for the most part. My biggest problem with it is texting off it is such a pain in the ass. The touchscreen is a bit annoying to text with. That aside I really like it. Are you gonna go on the o2 network or are you gonna buy an unlocked one? :)

I'm with O2 at the moment and am due an upgrade and can get the iPhone for about €45 (according to my bro), obviously I'll have to sign up for 18 months and pic the tarriff I want but as I say I'm looking for an organiser as much as a phone but I don't need anything like a blackberry!
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    Irish Al wrote:
    I'm with O2 at the moment and am due an upgrade and can get the iPhone for about €45 (according to my bro), obviously I'll have to sign up for 18 months and pic the tarriff I want but as I say I'm looking for an organiser as much as a phone but I don't need anything like a blackberry!

ah that's cool! I'm a meteor person myself :P well for an organiser it's pretty sufficient, and you can download applications that do exactly what you want which is pretty handy! Plus if something happens to your iPhone, Apple are pretty competent with repairs and refunds! My Dad has yet to have a problem with his and he has had it for about a year now! :)
  • Options
    ah that's cool! I'm a meteor person myself :P well for an organiser it's pretty sufficient, and you can download applications that do exactly what you want which is pretty handy! Plus if something happens to your iPhone, Apple are pretty competent with repairs and refunds! My Dad has yet to have a problem with his and he has had it for about a year now! :)

Thats great thanks , thats exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for, you can never get the real nitty gritty from the shop dudes! :D

I've always been with O2, couldn't imagine moving although Meteor have really come on in leaps and bounds since eircom took them over and invested in the network. :D
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    Irish Al wrote:
    Thats great thanks , thats exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for, you can never get the real nitty gritty from the shop dudes! :D

I've always been with O2, couldn't imagine moving although Meteor have really come on in leaps and bounds since eircom took them over and invested in the network. :D

I think I should work for them! :P

Ah yeah, meteor is pretty class at the moment. God I remember when Meteor only had like 40% coverage in Ireland :P
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    My friend has one and I use it all the time. the apps for them are amazing. the only bad thing is texting, other than that its basically flawless.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I think I should work for them! :P

Ah yeah, meteor is pretty class at the moment. God I remember when Meteor only had like 40% coverage in Ireland :P

What are the chances of a free phone??? ;)
    My friend has one and I use it all the time. the apps for them are amazing. the only bad thing is texting, other than that its basically flawless.

I'm liking this more and more....keep going :D
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    i have an iPhone, and i love it. I can not ay anything bad about it. the first time i got it, i had a hard time texting. but now its easier then a regular phone. you will get used to it. it has good sound, good apps, and its a plus to have ur iPod with you at all times. i dont remember how i functioned without that phone. i recommend it.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I have an iphone and I like it for the most part. Its reliable, easy to use, the camera is pretty good for a phone and the internet capabilities are good too. The downside is texting and email. I have the old version and I don't know how many changes they have made but email in particular is a pain in the butt. I have never been able to sync Outlook with my phone. Well I sort of can. I can't send emails but I can't receive them. Works fine with my other personal email accounts. The screen does not turn for txting and email like it does when your surfing the net and it makes it difficult to read email. The calender could stand to be a little better too. Honestly for if your going to use it a lot for the email functions (or just work in general), unless they have changed these things, I would go with a blackberry. Otherwise, its a good phone.
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    iPhone=best piece of tech I have ever bought

Genius
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    ccjackccjack Posts: 134
    I had an iphone but returned it after 30 days. I expected more from it and was disappointed overall. Some of the features are very cool and it looks awesome, but it just wasn't that practical as a phone. My biggest complaints were the awful battery life (the price to pay for the huge LCD) too many dropped calls and network issues resulting in the email and applications not working. It wasn't reliable for me when I needed it to be. Great ipod, not a very good cell phone... but that's just my opinion. Read the reviews online, there are tons.

Irish Al wrote:
    I'm considering buying an iPhone and I was hoping you lot could help me out. I need to know the pros and cons from those who have one. I'm looking at using it as my everyday diary for work etc so is it any good for this etc?

Thanks

Love you guys :D
    "Push me and I will resist"
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Love my first gen iphone. I run a mac at home, and the way it pulls together the calendar, contacts, email, etc is really smooth. The maps features are good too.

Apps are a nice touch, but I haven't found any that i use consistently.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Thanks a million everyone, I kinda get the impression that they've tried to iron out some of the issues with the first gen, when developing the 3G. I'm seriously considering it now. I probably wouldn't get the most out of a blackberry so this appears to be the next best thing.

:D

PJ fans are class
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    No copy and paste and you can't MMS pictures. I'll stick with my Blackberry.
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    You cant send mms but you can send via email. I hate the iphone though, i work in technical support for it and think its an awful piece of equipment!!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    I know a few people over here with them... Jody being the main one! She has trouble losing calls... cos when you answer calls and have your cheek against the screen, sometimes you accidentally hang up :D but there's a button she has to press after answering to lock the phone. Also she was complaining about the texting. She had to send it back after a couple of months for a new one cos it broke. But other than that, it's fantastic. The things you can do with it :eek: everything really!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    I'm probably going to get one in a few months.

I'm really just interested in internet capabilities more than anything.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is using iTunes to manage the files on the phone. I refuse to do that.

If the new google phone comes out on AT&T, I will give that serious consideration instead of the iPhone.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    stu gee wrote:
    I hate the iphone though, i work in technical support for it and think its an awful piece of equipment!!

Why?? :curious: you could have a strong bearing on my decision. What kind of tech issues have been coming up etc??

Thanks
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    stu gee wrote:
    You cant send mms but you can send via email. I hate the iphone though, i work in technical support for it and think its an awful piece of equipment!!

Uh yeah I know, that is what I said. If I wanted to email pictures I'd carry my laptop around glued to my ear, I wonder if it would get better reception?
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    Uh yeah I know, that is what I said. If I wanted to email pictures I'd carry my laptop around glued to my ear, I wonder if it would get better reception?

That image did make me laugh out loud! :D
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    I have one and it's awesome.

Sure you can't send MMS but really that's not a downer.

You can play full featured games, surf the net, check email, check the weather forecast and so much more. It's not the great phone of all time but it really is a great phone

the new 2.1 software really improved reception and app crashing (less). I feel it can only get better
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    I'll agree with the "best piece of equipment" vote.

I live a pretty low-tech lifestyle, and the iPhone is probably more than I ever needed in one gadget. I get to take awesome pictures of my daughter & email them immediately to my friends & family.
    The phone is great, I never drop a call.
    I love the text feature, I like to be able to pick up in the middle of a converstaion that dropped off 2 days ago.
    I can delete voice mails from people I have no time for without even listening to them- BY FAR my favorite feature.

Plus I've downloaded great apps that are perfect for me.

And I don't have to worry about missing a call when I'm zoning out with my headphones on on the subway.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    OK I think I'm sold.....hit O2 this week :D Cheers everyone!
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    Yep, well I took the plunge and picked meself one up and I have to say, so far I'm lovin it :D

I haven't found the texting frustrating, its just like a keyboard and I'm having so much fun finding all the different little bits and pieces.

Am so happy I picked it up but I don't know if I picked the right price plan :eek:

Ah well onwards and upwards ;)
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    The iphone is cool, But sometime next year it will be blown out of the water by that new Nokia coming out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM_q8oAPAKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFKyAMQPbmI&feature=related
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    My contract runs out in a couple months and I'm considering iphone next time. If it is as good as my ipod, and my macbook, I'll be happy; so far I haven't been disappointed with any Apple creation.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    sprint instinct > iphone
  • Options
    Blackberry Storm > all touch phones.
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    Irish Al wrote:
    Yep, well I took the plunge and picked meself one up and I have to say, so far I'm lovin it :D

I haven't found the texting frustrating, its just like a keyboard and I'm having so much fun finding all the different little bits and pieces.

Am so happy I picked it up but I don't know if I picked the right price plan :eek:

Ah well onwards and upwards ;)

Doh, i was reading this thread with interest in the hope you weren't gonna get one until November, as i have it on very good authority that the tariff prices are coming down by 40%!!! What tariff did you get it on and what size iphone did you get also?

Also, did you ever think about getting the XDA Ignito or Blackberry Bold? If you were due an upgrade and depending on how much you spend with o2 you should have gone thru to retention and got yourself a much better deal!!!!

Are you still within your 14 days cooling off period since upgrading as it may be worth taking it back and waiting a couple more weeks to save some cash or looking at the alternatives mentioned above for your needs ;)

Just trying to save you some cash and get you the best deal my friend :D
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    Doh, i was reading this thread with interest in the hope you weren't gonna get one until November, as i have it on very good authority that the tariff prices are coming down by 40%!!! What tariff did you get it on and what size iphone did you get also?

Also, did you ever think about getting the XDA Ignito or Blackberry Bold? If you were due an upgrade and depending on how much you spend with o2 you should have gone thru to retention and got yourself a much better deal!!!!

Are you still within your 14 days cooling off period since upgrading as it may be worth taking it back and waiting a couple more weeks to save some cash or looking at the alternatives mentioned above for your needs ;)

Just trying to save you some cash and get you the best deal my friend :D

Cheers, appreciate the comments and info. I am still in my 14days but I went for the €45 a month and got a 16G one which I'm more than happy with. I just think that my texts will be more than the 50 alloted but will still come in cheaper than the next price plan up. Surely they cant have different people on different levels for the same product, I'm sure they'll have to reduce all the price plans, the same way that they upgraded all the old phones to 3G for free when they came out :confused:

:D
    I need a coffee!