A little distraught....

dwrocks1dwrocks1 Posts: 23
edited January 2008 in The Porch
On 10C today, a new post with Matt and politics.... well is it me or has PJ run their political beliefs on us into the ground. Don't get me wrong, everyone IS entitled to their personal preferences and opinions, just how many years of this are wew going to get (nader 2000, vfc 2004, and now 2008.......). Screw the politics just give us some new music and some shows to the south......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    On 10C today, a new post with Matt and politics.... well is it me or has PJ run their political beliefs on us into the ground. Don't get me wrong, everyone IS entitled to their personal preferences and opinions, just how many years of this are wew going to get (nader 2000, vfc 2004, and now 2008.......). Screw the politics just give us some new music and some shows to the south......
    its you. . .id say your probably gonna get this for as many years as pj is around, every 4 years. . .deal with it. . .if you dont like it go listen to nickelback, they will give you what your looking for
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • nothing bothers me more than apathy... im glad to see the boys always have something to say and strongly support what they believe in... usually through music... so im not sure what youre really bitching about... the chances of seeing PJ tour this year is greater BECAUSE of the elections... count your blessing
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • It's you.

I still have trouble understanding how certain fans have yet to realize that a big part of what this band is involves activism.

It's what they do and always will be.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    It's you.

I still have trouble understanding how certain fans have yet to realize that a big part of what this band is involves activism.

It's what they do and always will be.
    I second what hourglassnebula said.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Pearl Jam's political activism, for me, is what pushes them over the top to being the best band ever. It's heartening to see musicians - or anyone - standing up so strongly for what they believe in. It's about time we had celebrities who care more about the state of the world than their own image.
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    they care, which is why we care about them. . .plus they are a pretty awesome band, that helps too
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I second what hourglassnebula said.
    That just came off very, very funny.
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Can all of you anti-politics folks tell me what your breaking point is? As in, how political Pearl Jam would need to get for you to stop being fans. Hopefully if you let me know I can relay this to them, they can do whatever that is and you can all shut the fuck up finally.
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Why does this surprise or bother you? This is nothing new. They believe in something and the back it and get the word out the best they can. I really wish more people(myself included) believed in something as strong as they do. Whether you agree or not, while we sit here and argue or try to justify it on a CHAT board, they are out there doing something. I for one need to get more educated on the issues at hand. I usually have no interest in these kinds of things, but as I get older, I find myself caring more and WANTING to understand something I use to think I was not allowed to have an opinion on. Because of THIS band, I will be voting for the FIRST time in my life, and I am 38...This is a good thing my friend, not something you I or anyone should be complaining about. We should be getting involved even if we choose to go a different direction, they would want it that way...:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    matt is allowed to co-write a song for obama it has nothing to do with pearl jam as a band. He just backs obama obviously doesn't mean you or anyone else here has to. Politics is what makes the world go round and it gives pj a hint more credibility and brains in my book. Pearl Jam is a band with a concience.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585

it's definately you.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • schmoffschmoff Posts: 428

this is probably one of those guys that yells at eddie to shut up and play another song anytime he decides to speak during a show
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Well they'll always be politically active as a band BUT IMO It will be to this degree till the US gets the fuck out of Iraq, but getting the republicans the fuck out of the white house will be a good start.
    So all u Americans who hate all the politics don't vote repulican in the next presidential election lol.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    This isn't something that just started happening in 2000.. Look back to 92 when Eddie surfed on a stool on Unplugged and scrolled Pro Choice on his arm... or Eddie wearing the Coathanger/No Bush 92 on SNL.. It's been going on for a long time with the band
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • my biggest problem with matts involvement with the song is how much it FUCKIN SUCKS! we all know that brad and specifically shawn smith are endorsing obama as well and yet they get that no talent dude to sing on it... makes it sounds so shitty and cheesy... reminds me of sunday school... the drumming is good as i figured it would be... but matt should be more selective with what he gets involved with... ugh

Heres to a VFC '08 tour!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Yeah, the ugliest man in rock singing about being a rockstar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F3O6WYfHQ
  • CapstonerCapstoner Posts: 727
    I have no problems with the bands political activities and am glad they take a stand and let their opinions be known.
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
  • On 10C today, a new post with Matt and politics.... well is it me or has PJ run their political beliefs on us into the ground. Don't get me wrong, everyone IS entitled to their personal preferences and opinions, just how many years of this are wew going to get (nader 2000, vfc 2004, and now 2008.......). Screw the politics just give us some new music and some shows to the south......
    This is who they are. Would you rather they try to be something that they are not?

Artists have a tendency of expressing themselves, and in an election year everyone tends to express a viewpoint. It is healthy.

There is still an awful lot of music to enjoy. Just enjoy the music.
    can't escape from the common rule
    if you hate something, don't you do it too...
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    nothing bothers me more than apathy... im glad to see the boys always have something to say and strongly support what they believe in... usually through music...
    well said! they have been expressing themselves on various issues since the beginning.
    can't escape from the common rule
    if you hate something, don't you do it too...
  • DAYUM! If you're getting distraught over people expressing their political ideas and the date is only January 30, 2008 then this might be a bit of a challenging year for you, my friend. To understate it, there's going to be a shit load of discussions in the coming months. I can see this place getting heated up as we get closer and closer to the ballot boxes. We all have the right to our opinions and the right to voice them. If you don't like what you're hearing, I say hook up with folks that share your views, you might be a bit more comfortable. Otherwise, get ready for a wild ride...

Peace
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Go and watch Porch from the unplugged show WAAYYY back in 1992 and then realise that this band has been political from day one, get over yourself and enjoy it for what it is. They don't exist to satisfy you.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    i almost pissed myself when I got on pearljam.com and saw the new news headline: "Fired up and ready to go." I thought Here comes some tour news and dates. :eek: Wish that were true though. Yeah, pj has always been a political band or verbal about it anyway, so this news doesn't surprise me.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • The fact that PJ is as political as they are is what makes them great. Without them having a common belief system and goals, we would not have PJ today. Don't forget, for as long as music has been around it's been about pretty much the same things. And politics is one of the major themes. Bob Dylan and John Lennon are two of MANY who used this as a driving force behind their music. Pearl Jam is no different.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I love it! It's a BIG part of the allure of Pearl Jam...for me anyways.

Keep it comin!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    I think its very rude for fans to expect The members of the band not to express their own views, its certainly NOt pushing it on anyone.
    ARE you pushing your views now or expressing an opinion. ( I think the latter)
    The more points of view I hear help me form a greater understanding of things, If you only listened to yourown point of view or those who share it I believe you would be pretty narrow miinded
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Pearl Jam is a political band. They write political songs! How could you not expect this? Leave it to someone from Florida to say something as ridiculous as this!
  • PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    Heyyyy! That wasn't very nice! I'M from FLORIDA, too!
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
    Pearl Jam is a political band. They write political songs! How could you not expect this? Leave it to someone from Florida to say something as ridiculous as this!

I'm not sure what you are implying with "leave it to someone from FL" but it was definately rude because I'm from FL too and I don't share his opinion..

I find your post as annoying as the thread starter's post. :rolleyes:
  • RiderRider Posts: 125
    I am glad the band supports political causes. It means they are intelligent and care about society and not just their pocketbooks. Wake up folks, the Republicans are robbing the average man to let the already rich become the super rich.
    We all walk the Long Road...

Charlotte & Raleigh Lollapalooza 1992, Charlotte Memorial 1996, Tibet Freedom Concert 1998, Raleigh & Greenville 1998, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh & Camden 2003, Asheville 2004, Camden 2006, DC 2008, Atlanta 2012  Charlottesville 2013, Charlotte 2013
     Greenville, (XRaleighX) and Hampton 2016, London Hyde Park, Quebec City and Ottawa 2022, St Paul (hopefully) 2023
  • Tom K wrote:
    This isn't something that just started happening in 2000.. Look back to 92 when Eddie surfed on a stool on Unplugged and scrolled Pro Choice on his arm... or Eddie wearing the Coathanger/No Bush 92 on SNL.. It's been going on for a long time with the band

Remember when it was like that? Man, I'd give anything to have Ed take up this mentality again. It is not that way today, Ed has gotten much more in the fans face about it.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the band being politically active, motivated, etc. I don't even think anyone minds it influencing the music and theme of lyrics. But as fans of the band, we have all seen the level of political influence over them spike sharply since the Clinton era ended. It started in 2000, and has gotten more and more intense with each passing year.

If that's your thing, rock on. I preferred it when they kept the intensity high, but the preaching a little more low-key. Again, the examples you gave were perfect. Compare those to the Bush bashing rants at each show, Halloween masks, tours dedicated to specific candidates, etc.

Again, if you get off on that stuff, awesome. But to just say they've always been this way is not entirely accurate. I can definitely see how some fans feel it's being rammed down their throats.