Oklahoma City Thunder

GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
edited September 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
So sad. To all my basketball loving friends in the upper northwest, im so sorry about this. I was a young kid living in Cleveland when the Browns moved. If you love the team it's a really weird and horrible feeling. I met many of great PJ fans who were Sonic fans. I feel for you, total bullshit!
Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thats possibly the worst name for a basketball team I've ever heard.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    makes me sick...fuck 'em
  • Damn, I voted for the "Oklahoma Sexuals"
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Horribly unis, so sad. I hope Seattle gets another team soon.
  • Awful...Just plain awful
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • It's like a cheesy Arena Football nickname and logo. Brutal
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • burgburg Posts: 20
    that's the worst logo ever. Wilkens looks very unimpressed.
  • GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    Sucks!
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • I wanted Oklahoma City Bombers...Stole our oldest sports team.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I wanted Oklahoma City Bombers...Stole our oldest sports team.
    Ha. Thats my fantasy football team name.

Anyways. Seattle should get an NHL team within the next 4-5 years I would bet the farm on it.
    The people of Seattle are too good for the NBA and deserve to watch a real sport.
  • when i was five my soccer team voted for a name and we ended up the thunder. I think okc used the same method. terrible, just terrible.
    Music for Rhinos
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Ha. Thats my fantasy football team name.

Anyways. Seattle should get an NHL team within the next 4-5 years I would bet the farm on it.
    The people of Seattle are too good for the NBA and deserve to watch a real sport.
    I would say they deserve both! I know a lot of die hard b-ball fans up there...
  • Long live the Sonics, Whalers, and Jets ( Winnipeg )
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08

Don't forget the Expos! :)
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • I wonder how many times "Thunderstruk" will be played a game?
    Every quarter??
  • It does suck that Seattle lost its team and that it went down the way it did. That being said, anyone who rips on Oklahoma City is really displacing their anger. Bottom line is the citizens of Seattle did not show the support for the team like OKC is. I know because I lived in Tacoma for the past 3 years and went to several Sonics games. I do think they'll get another NBA team but they're going to have to show as much support for that team as they do for the Seahawks and the Mariners.
    oktacoma wrote:
    It does suck that Seattle lost its team and that it went down the way it did. That being said, anyone who rips on Oklahoma City is really displacing their anger. Bottom line is the citizens of Seattle did not show the support for the team like OKC is. I know because I lived in Tacoma for the past 3 years and went to several Sonics games. I do think they'll get another NBA team but they're going to have to show as much support for that team as they do for the Seahawks and the Mariners.
    Very true. I'm happy for OKC, they have proved that they deserve a team. I just hate when a team moves away. Maybe Im bitter from the browns moving years ago but it's just not right! I remember being a young kid, a die hard Browns fan, then they just up and were gone. It's so heartbreaking. I think of some 13 year old kid who was so fired up to get Durant last year, and now, nothing. Horrible.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Awful name....sounds like an XFL team.....and the logo looks like another XFL reject....should gone with Bison....I would have ordered something with a Bison logo.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • oktacoma wrote:
    It does suck that Seattle lost its team and that it went down the way it did. That being said, anyone who rips on Oklahoma City is really displacing their anger. Bottom line is the citizens of Seattle did not show the support for the team like OKC is. I know because I lived in Tacoma for the past 3 years and went to several Sonics games. I do think they'll get another NBA team but they're going to have to show as much support for that team as they do for the Seahawks and the Mariners.

Nothing to do with support, everything to do with money (ie a new Arena). Don't confuse support and money. Imagine if every team who did not get what they want relocating during a time when that team is at the bottom of the league. The Key wasn't empty because it was old or run down. It was empty cause the Sonics made poor choices and did not perform well for the last 5 years.
  • Nothing to do with support, everything to do with money (ie a new Arena). Don't confuse support and money. Imagine if every team who did not get what they want relocating during a time when that team is at the bottom of the league. The Key wasn't empty because it was old or run down. It was empty cause the Sonics made poor choices and did not perform well for the last 5 years.
    I'm not confusing those two, as I saw firsthand that BOTH were lacking for the Sonics. Plus, many times support does equal money because voters often have to approve public funding for arenas. However, I agree that the support was poor because the team sucked, not because of the Key.
  • Lee MLee M Posts: 142
    It may just be me, but if I was going to move a team to a more fruitful area, I really wouldn't be moving it to Oklahoma.
  • The Key arena did not allow the owners to make the kind of money they wanted. No luxury boxes and what not. The Key once very nice wasnt close in comparison to the other new stadiums. The place rocked in the mid 90s like no other.

Most Seattle voters were burned by the the funding of Qwest and Safeco fields. Over a billion dollars were spent. With no hope of a new stadium , Schultz (former owner) decided he would pawn the team to a red-neck from Oklahoma who claimed he would fight or even throw in some of his own cash for a new building. All lies of course. Bennett half-heartedly tried to get the stadium paid for and if he was successful would have flipped the team to someone else. But his plan worked perfectly and now he has the Thunder in OKC.

If anyone is to blame its Starfucks owner Shultz. He singlehandedly gave the Sonics away. Yeah the team has been terrible lately , but 3-4 years ago in McMillens last season as coach they went to the 2nd round of the playoffs and were playing great. People were coming out. They let Nate go to Portland and that set the events in motion the next 2 years. Losing Rashard Lewis for nothing trading Ray Allen for shit. It was all a plan to justify moving the team to OKC.

They will be successful in OKC short term, but look what happened in Memphis. They play in maybe the nicest building in the NBA. FedEx Forum. Its nearly half empty every night now and the NBA has lost its luster. No one likes to root for a loser. Year after year the same bad moves. Losing 50+ games.

I was/am a Sonics fan all my life. I watched games in the Kingdome where I could barely see the court. I watched games in the old Seattle Center Coliseum. I met Tom Chambers , Dale Ellis, Jack Sikma , Xavier McDaniel to Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp, those were the fucking days.

Shultz fucked Seattle , the fans and the city. Don't BS people and say there was no support and its Seattles fault. If he wanted to sell there were plenty of local owners willing to buy the team for fair market price, not top dollar to a billionaire red-neck who planned on moving the team to OKC the whole time.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• teskeinc wrote:

If anyone is to blame its Starfucks owner Shultz. He singlehandedly gave the Sonics away.

They will be successful in OKC short term, but look what happened in Memphis.

Shultz fucked Seattle , the fans and the city. Don't BS people and say there was no support and its Seattles fault.
    I agree that Shultz fucked over the city and the fans by selling the team to someone he probably knew had intentions of moving the team elsewhere.

As for being successful in OKC, I think it is unwise to equate OKC with Memphis. For better or worse, Oklahoma has very loyal fans and will support their teams, even in the worst of times (see OU's football in the 90s for an example). Although we don't know if that loyalty will carryover to the Thunder if they suck for a long time, previous behavior would suggest that OKC fans would remain more loyal than Memphis fans. Furthermore, I strongly believe that the Thunder has much more direction and focus under Sam Presti than the Grizzlies do, so I think they have a bright future and the loyalty to a bad team issue is moot anyway.

As for BS-ing people about support, it is absolutely NOT BS that there hasn't been the support for the team lately. Sure, that can be blamed on Shultz or the team's bad decisions, or just the poor play in general, but the support definitely wasn't there for the past 3 years I was attending Sonics games. I loved watching them, but was consistently disappointed in the level of support for them. As for providing public funding for a new arena, it's understandable that a major city with 3 major teams (two of which recently got new venues), would be skeptical about paying even MORE taxes for another arena. I think that is why OKC will support this team so much, because this will be the only major sports team in the state, so fans are really excited and are willing to pay for it.

In the end, I think it is sad the way this went down and that the NBA is no longer in Seattle. I hope they get a new team soon.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Congrats to OKC!

Clay Bennett (And Schultz) is a huge crapbag....also, keep an eye on the NBA's Napoleon, Stern.

Seattle....with no Sonics? Boooooooo!
  • Don't most new cities to the nba do this - to attract the kids and sell the merchandise at the start. I remember when the raptors first started, the logo and colours were awful - really, a purple dinosaur? It'll change in a few years.
    What about Nordiques?
    GoiMTvP.gif