The best thing about riot act.....

UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
edited December 2007 in The Porch
Is by far matt's drumming. He tears it up throughout the entire album. Great fills on save you, beautiful energy on lbc, cropduster is a masterpiece of tempo.

Not to ignore the rest of the guys...as the whole band puts on a freaking clinic in half full. This album also contains some of my absolute favorite solos: Get right has a sick set up (awesome live), I am mine builds for the solo the entire song, and the mike's entrance in all or none is epic.

I like this album a lot.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's definitely my favourite Matt album, along with Binaural. Some complex stuff going on. I don't think the Avocado material stretches him enough.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • It's definitely my favourite Matt album, along with Binaural. Some complex stuff going on. I don't think the Avocado material stretches him enough.

I agree with your assessment of Matt's work on Avocado.
    The one exception would be Marker in the Sand. I think the drumming here is pretty impressive. The beat sort of stutter-steps through the first few verses, but coming out of the bridge into the last verse (I feel a sickness...) he goes in to a more "rolling" type of beat. It makes that last verse seem a little more intense.

Obviously, I'm not a drummer so I don't know the technical terms for what he's doing, but listen to the song and you'll see what I mean.
    motel money murder madness
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    binaural = best Cameron drumming
    (amongst other things)
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Actually...his best drumming was on his Soundgarden albums...due mostly to the odd time signatures.

His drumming is great on his PJ albums also...but it's usually more straight forward and a little more punk oriented on the faster songs.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Actually...his best drumming was on his Soundgarden albums...due mostly to the odd time signatures.

His drumming is great on his PJ albums also...but it's usually more straight forward and a little more punk oriented on the faster songs.

I must agree with this as well.
    motel money murder madness
  • I love the drumming on Half Full and Can't Keep. But the whole thing is great.
  • djerdap wrote:
    I think we're underestimating Avocado a little bit. I think it was the first time where Matt really blended in with the band. Marker in the Sand and Severed Hand are brilliant songs drum-wise.

Personally I don't think the SH drumming is anything great.

He does some clever work on Marker in the Sand and the outro of Big Wave, but apart from that, he's just 'good' on the album. Imo.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    glasshouse wrote:
    binaural = best Cameron drumming
    (amongst other things)

bingo.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The best thing about Riot Act is Arc... so no drumming there.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    Cropduster and Half Full: two of the most underrated PJ songs ever
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    the best thing about riot act is that it's a fucking great album !!!
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm

Same here. While he rocks the hell out of Avocado, the drumming is less complex because the songs on the album are A LOT more straightforward and rockin. I think this is good for a change, but not constantly. This is one reason why we love PJ is that every record has distinct characteristics. Avocado and Riot Act are my favorite PJ cds. Riot Act more than likely ties with Binaural. Matts drumming on Riot Act is awesome. Drums on Cant Keep and Cropduster are really incredible. Great drumming and they sound so warm. Its cool how Riot Act and Avocado kind of make for a great pair. One album thats layered and unique sounding with the other being hard rocking. They are good to listen to back to back.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Julien wrote:
    the best thing about riot act is that it's a fucking great album !!!

Amen.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    .........is when it ends
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    fanch75 wrote:
    .........is when it ends
    you're a bit hard...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    fanch75 wrote:
    .........is when it ends

Even then I feel like smashing it to pieces with my cock..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    lol

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the thread; I made my contribution if you will. Carry on, lovers of riot act.
  • I find Riot Act to be a lot better than Yield if that says anything about how much I love the album.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I find Riot Act to be a lot better than Yield if that says anything about how much I love the album.

No, but it does say a lot about your poor taste though ;)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Matt's drumming on Life Wasted is my fave of any tunes. Period.

The outro of Half Full is crazy tho. It sorta swings, but completely polar opposite to the guitars.

Cheers for Riot Act, especially Half Full and All or None. and Can't Keep. 3 of the most underrated Pj songs.

um
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I find Riot Act to be a lot better than Yield if that says anything about how much I love the album.
    I like Riot Act but that's just crazy talk :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    fanch75 wrote:
    .........is when it ends

Almost a full page before this. After reading the title I bet myself that within 3 posts this exact comment would have appeared. Good Stuff. Love Riot Act over here. It's the album that got me back into PJ. I disappeared after Yield for a few years. What a welcoming is all I can say!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Is by far matt's drumming. He tears it up throughout the entire album. Great fills on save you, beautiful energy on lbc, cropduster is a masterpiece of tempo.

Not to ignore the rest of the guys...as the whole band puts on a freaking clinic in half full. This album also contains some of my absolute favorite solos: Get right has a sick set up (awesome live), I am mine builds for the solo the entire song, and the mike's entrance in all or none is epic.

I like this album a lot.

I wish his drums were a touch louder so you could hear the great shit he's doing. I really have to concentrate on just Matt to hear it all. In fact, I still don't think the drum production on any Matt PJ album has been real good. Which, in my mind, is a criminal shame...

For the record, Cropduster is musically one of the coolest things PJ has ever done...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I wish his drums were a touch louder so you could hear the great shit he's doing. I really have to concentrate on just Matt to hear it all. In fact, I still don't think the drum production on any Matt PJ album has been real good. Which, in my mind, is a criminal shame...

For the record, Cropduster is musically one of the coolest things PJ has ever done...

I agree........back with dave and jack, it was like the rest of the sound was centered around the drumming. On these albums, it seems like Matt is more mixed in than anything.

I always thought Matt played a flatter sounding kit than the other guys as well.
  • eyedclaar wrote:

Nod nod.

• riot act is fucking awesome
    fuck all of you who think it sucks, one day you'll see how good it is
  • riot act is fucking awesome
    couldnt agree more. takes a couple months/years to get into, but once you do its just fuckin amazing. I LOVE GHOST!
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10

Why would I do that?
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    riot act is fucking awesome

It's not for everybody. Their loss is how I see it.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    It's definitely my favourite Matt album, along with Binaural. Some complex stuff going on. I don't think the Avocado material stretches him enough.
    I disagree; think his most intense and intricate work is on Avocado
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me