High School Reunion This Friday!

AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,107
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Scary thought. Can't believe it's been 10 years already. I know, some of your elderly :p folk on here think it's no big deal at this point, but it's kind of weird wondering what's happened to a lot of people. Wasn't sure if I wanted to go, but most of the friends I still keep in touch with are going, and I don't want to be the asshole sitting home.

So my questions to all of you is: did you go (if you're old enough)? Were you glad you went/regret you didn't go? What were your experiences and what should I expect.

They scheduled it for Friday after Thanksgiving...what's with that? I thought they're normally in the summer. :confused:
24 years old, mid-life crisis
nowadays hits you when you're young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My 10 yr was this past October. I didn't go and have no regrets. Too soon for that bullshit. I'll make it for my 20th. lol
  • My 10 yr was this past October. I didn't go and have no regrets. Too soon for that bullshit. I'll make it for my 20th. lol

Yea, that's what I was thinking too. I know all the people I really care about, and I'm sure the assholes haven't changed much. If I didn't feel like the odd man out by not going, I probably wouldn't go. I am kind of interested in seeing which of the 'hot' girls are knocked up and homely now. :D I guess you can look at it like a potential dating ground too. Hmmm...
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i graduated back in 2000 and still keep in close contact with many of my HS friends. several of which i have known and been best friends with since i was about 5. our HS reunion will be no different than a saturday night out. same faces, same laughs.

although it would be nice to see a few randoms and see what they have done with their lives.

3 more years!
  • Mine is the same day. Its my 5 year reunion. I'm not going though. I'll be in Michigan for thanksgiving, and my reunion is in Philly. Sorta weird to have it then, I guess they figure people would be home for the holidays.
  • My 10 is Friday.

I am not going. I wasn't unpopular, heck a bunch of people saw my "not going" reply on the evite and wrote to me asking me to come. But my philosophy is "the past is the past." Whenever I run into someone, even if we were friends back then, it is always awkward. The reunion would be that awkward encounter x 100.

I'll pass.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I went to mine, it was fun. Except it was $80 a person for the dinner, so we just got drunk at a friends house and crashed the party after the dinner. :D I had a good time. We finished the bar off and all went to another one in the area we were at. It was just like high school . . . kinda :o
    NERDS!
  • I think it SHOULD be mine this year (it's usually over christmas) but I'm not sure if anyone's organising it. I haven't kept in touch with anyone from school... the odd one I'd bump into every now and then and we'd go for a couple of drinks and promise to keep in touch :o but I'm really bad at that kinda stuff. I really really wanna go though. Even though I haven't kept in touch with anyone, I'd some really good friends back then and we all pretty much got on pretty well so it would be good to catch up. The kinda place I'm from, there'd be no snobbery... I think a couple of people did really well for themselves but they were really nice anyway so there'd be no jealousy either :D

Ooohh... I should really try and get in touch with someone and see if it's on
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I always wondered, do they track you down ? I mean, I don't even live in the same city I went to high school in. Are they going to go to the government to find me to invite me to some high school reunion ?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    smarchee wrote:
    I always wondered, do they track you down ? I mean, I don't even live in the same city I went to high school in. Are they going to go to the government to find me to invite me to some high school reunion ?

Usually it's the student body president of your senior year takes care of it. That's how ours was done. I think they get a list from the high school or something.
    NERDS!
  • Usually it's the student body president of your senior year takes care of it. That's how ours was done. I think they get a list from the high school or something.
    My sister told me that in our school it was whoever decided in our leaving cert year that they would organise it. She always knew who was organising hers. They got a list from the school and sent the invites to the home addresses... so maybe if you've moved and there's one coming up, it may be a good idea to inform the school.

I can't remember anyone volunteering to organise ours though :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    so maybe if you've moved and there's one coming up, it may be a good idea to inform the school.

Nah, I don't care enough to inform them. If there is one, they can find me. I just wonder how they go about it. Plus, the high school I went to had like 2000 students, so a graduating class would be about 500. That's alot of people to find.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • I had my 10 year last thanksgiving, and I did not go. There was a myspace site set up with a list everyone who had RSVP'd, and there was really no one on the list I wanted to see. I went to a huge inner city high school, so out of necessity it was clicky- there were so many people and so many different people, you just kinda had to find a group. thus, I didn't know all that many people in my class as a whole-I knew more people across classes and stuff. The people I was really interested in seeing- mostly this group of guys I was friends with but then lost touch with-didn't go, so I didn't really see the point. I don't regret not going. I talked to the guy who ran it afterwards and he said there wasn't a very good turn out.

Now, 2.5 years ago I went to my 5 year college reunion. THAT I would recommend.
  • smarchee wrote:
    Nah, I don't care enough to inform them. If there is one, they can find me. I just wonder how they go about it. Plus, the high school I went to had like 2000 students, so a graduating class would be about 500. That's alot of people to find.
    ah... we're just 80 so it's probably slightly easier
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    yeah, I was just thinking we graduated in 1996, so 10 years would have been last year. There is a couple of people who I am still friends with from high school, so I'm sure I'll hear it from them if there is a HS reunion.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:
    yeah, I was just thinking we graduated in 1996, so 10 years would have been last year. There is a couple of people who I am still friends with from high school, so I'm sure I'll hear it from them if there is a HS reunion.

woo, class of 96!

:)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    high school renunions are the biggest cause of marriage breakdowns in the known universe... i just made that up, but i reckon that a few people see their old boy/girlfriends and then have a quickie to remember about old times.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    woo, class of 96!

:)

Woohoo is right fellow 1996 high school graduate year grad. High school years in the early 1990s ruled
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    Scary thought. Can't believe it's been 10 years already. I know, some of your elderly :p folk on here think it's no big deal at this point, but it's kind of weird wondering what's happened to a lot of people. Wasn't sure if I wanted to go, but most of the friends I still keep in touch with are going, and I don't want to be the asshole sitting home.

So my questions to all of you is: did you go (if you're old enough)? Were you glad you went/regret you didn't go? What were your experiences and what should I expect.

They scheduled it for Friday after Thanksgiving...what's with that? I thought they're normally in the summer. :confused:

I went to mine last year and had a blast. It was so great to see all the jocks married to overweight nasty chicks and to see all the once hot girls gone bad. It was also great to see the kid everyone picked on turn out to be the cool guy everyone admires now. Definitely a thing you should go to. And don't expect anything, if you do you will only be disappointed. Just expect to go, be yourself and have fun. Take lots of pictures too. Then compare them to your yearbook. And mine was the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year too. I think they figure so many people are home for the holidays that it's a perfect time for it. Have fun!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,444
    well I looked at the guest list and none of my exes were going
    and neither were the girls I had crushes on

so I passed

;)
  • ooohh I did a google search on my school followed by '10 year reunion' and came across a bebo page of a guy who was in my year... looked through his friends list and found LOADS of old faces :eek: :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I went to mine last year and had a blast. It was so great to see all the jocks married to overweight nasty chicks and to see all the once hot girls gone bad. It was also great to see the kid everyone picked on turn out to be the cool guy everyone admires now. Definitely a thing you should go to. And don't expect anything, if you do you will only be disappointed. Just expect to go, be yourself and have fun. Take lots of pictures too. Then compare them to your yearbook. And mine was the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year too. I think they figure so many people are home for the holidays that it's a perfect time for it. Have fun!

Thanks! The reasons you noted are what I'm looking forward to. :) I can't wait to see how some of the stuck-up snobby kids turned out. Do teachers usually attend these things. For some reason I was always under the impression that some old faculty/staff element were involved with reunions.
  • ooohh I did a google search on my school followed by '10 year reunion' and came across a bebo page of a guy who was in my year... looked through his friends list and found LOADS of old faces :eek: :)

Yeah, it's frightening. I've done a couple myspace/facebook searches and found a ton of familiar yet oddly different faces. :D
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    Thanks! The reasons you noted are what I'm looking forward to. :) I can't wait to see how some of the stuck-up snobby kids turned out. Do teachers usually attend these things. For some reason I was always under the impression that some old faculty/staff element were involved with reunions.

And like you, I went to highschool in upstate NY. So I'm sure you will get the same laughs I did!

I don't recall seeing any teachers.
  • Yeah, it's frightening. I've done a couple myspace/facebook searches and found a ton of familiar yet oddly different faces. :D
    although the downside being that the reason it came up in the search was cos there IS no reunion this year :( nobody organised it :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life