anybody want to join me on a great white dive?

Comments

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Jeanie wrote:
    :eek: :eek:

Whaaaa aaat??? Are you MENTAL????? :eek:

I can barely watch them on the tele they freak me out so much! Never mind actually knowingly getting in the water with them!!! Screw that!!!

But I admire you immensely for having a go at it. Do make sure and come back and tell us all about it so I can revel in the horror of your stupendous stupidity and bravery! :)

i went on the trip already 3 years ago lol
    no danger at all

they really have no interest in us once they realize we are not food

all the surfing attacks happen because they mistake the surfers for seals

but people standing in steel cages with cameras and video cameras are not mistaken for food therefore they just say hello and move along to the tuna
    Jeanie wrote:
    Nope!!! NO WAY!!! **shakes head violently**

There's not a cage strong enough that I'd feel safe in.

Those creatures are just so powerful, such an effective human killing machine that I know when I'm licked and I have no plans to invade their territory.

I'm happy enough to watch them and appreciate them from dry land. No need to be dangling meself around as fish food! ;)

But I really admire people that can and do go into their world. I'm just not one of them and I'll never be. :)

effective HUMAN killing machines???? huh

thats so far from the truth

u watch to many attack shows and not enough shows about the truth
    Jeanie wrote:
    Nope!!! NO WAY!!! **shakes head violently**

There's not a cage strong enough that I'd feel safe in.

Those creatures are just so powerful, such an effective human killing machine that I know when I'm licked and I have no plans to invade their territory.

I'm happy enough to watch them and appreciate them from dry land. No need to be dangling meself around as fish food! ;)

But I really admire people that can and do go into their world. I'm just not one of them and I'll never be. :)

double post
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i went on the trip already 3 years ago lol
    no danger at all

they really have no interest in us once they realize we are not food

all the surfing attacks happen because they mistake the surfers for seals

but people standing in steel cages with cameras and video cameras are not mistaken for food therefore they just say hello and move along to the tuna

Do you have pics??? :) It would be an awesome experience but not one for me. :) Did you get to touch? I would like to know what they feel like but not enough to go visit them. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    effective HUMAN killing machines???? huh

thats so far from the truth

u watch to many attack shows and not enough shows about the truth

No it's not. They are very effective at killing humans. And have done.
    I don't think that means they stalk and plot to kill humans specifically or that there's anything wrong with them following their natural instinct but the fact remains that if one came across me in the water and for whatever reason decided to bite me there's a better than average chance that I will be killed. So to that end they are very effective human killing machines. I don't think they're programmed to kill humans but it does happen. And I do think that you would be much more likely to come away from a great white attack dead than if you were attacked by a rabid wombat. ;)

I rarely watch shark attack shows, most of my viewing when it comes to sharks are documentaries. The best one of which was about these two crazy marine biologists heading out in this WAY TOO small boat every day for weeks just to study them. A fantastic piece of footage. One that I'm more than happy to watch. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie, think about how many people swim, surf, whatever every year worldwide... now compare that to how many attacks there are worldwide. It's a tiny tiny tiny barely even there percentage. There's a MUCH bigger chance of drowning or being run over by a speedboat/jetski or being killed by seaweed. How many of these attacks occur against somebody in a cage? Think about THAT next time you cross the road :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Also, I think there are more people killed every year by elephants than any other animal :o and elephants are lovely gentle things.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Jeanie wrote:
    Do you have pics??? :) It would be an awesome experience but not one for me. :) Did you get to touch? I would like to know what they feel like but not enough to go visit them. :)

actually i have a dvd of the trip

i do have pics but all hard copies

i dont use photobucket or any of that crap

all i can say is send me ur email and i can send u 1 or 2

just the setup no sharks in these pictures

but yes i got awesome pics and video
    Jeanie, think about how many people swim, surf, whatever every year worldwide... now compare that to how many attacks there are worldwide. It's a tiny tiny tiny barely even there percentage. There's a MUCH bigger chance of drowning or being run over by a speedboat/jetski or being killed by seaweed. How many of these attacks occur against somebody in a cage? Think about THAT next time you cross the road : eek:

This from the girl that's too scared to come to Oz because of the spiders? ;)

I know that statistically shark attack is most likely not going to happen, but put it down to my personal :eek: factor ok? I really love sharks and I think they're amazing but they do eat people and that's not how I would want to die. Actually I wouldn't even want to be bitten by one, because I know I'd come off second best. AND as I mentioned before today, maybe not in this thread, but somewhere here today, I am the girl most likely to be bitten. I've been bitten by practically EVERYTHING so knowing that I live under the cloud of a Murphy's Law type deal, why would I risk it? :)

And aside from all that, in order to see one the way you're talking about here I'd have to scuba dive. And I just can't see that happening either. It's really not my thing. Well it's not not my thing I just acknowledge that it's probably not a good idea for me. A bit like I don't think I should bungy jump. :)
    It's not about me hating sharks or seeing them as evil, it's about recognizing what I would enjoy and what I would not enjoy and dropping down into the ocean in a cage, with an oxygen tank strapped to my back while giant sharks swam by really isn't something I'd enjoy. BUT I do get a buzz out of other people doing it. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Just use image shack http://imageshack.us/

no sign up or login....just upload then click the thumbnail pic after.... then copy and past the url of the pic after you click on it. Anonymous...instant...effective...easy

viola...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Jeanie wrote:
    :) Exactly. I'm a BIG wuss and here I am trying to convince everyone to do it :p
    see... not scary at all :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Jeanie, think about how many people swim, surf, whatever every year worldwide... now compare that to how many attacks there are worldwide. It's a tiny tiny tiny barely even there percentage. There's a MUCH bigger chance of drowning or being run over by a speedboat/jetski or being killed by seaweed. How many of these attacks occur against somebody in a cage? Think about THAT next time you cross the road :eek:

u rwalize this is 1 of the few things we agree on :) lol

and when a shark bites its to investigate ,,it bites a human by mistake,,realizes "hey this isnt my food,,too many bones and shit" then moves on '
    unfortunately a bite by a large great white can be deadly

but they're NOT AEFFECTIVE HUMAN KILLERS

affective killers of pinnipeds yes humans no
    Jeanie wrote:

I know that statistically shark attack is most likely not going to happen, but put it down to my personal :eek: factor ok? I really love sharks and I think they're amazing but they do eat people and that's not how I would want to die. Actually I wouldn't even want to be bitten by one, because I know I'd come off second best. AND as I mentioned before today, maybe not in this thread, but somewhere here today, I am the girl most likely to be bitten. I've been bitten by practically EVERYTHING so knowing that I live under the cloud of a Murphy's Law type deal, why would I risk it? :)

And aside from all that, in order to see one the way you're talking about here I'd have to scuba dive. And I just can't see that happening either. It's really not my thing. Well it's not not my thing I just acknowledge that it's probably not a good idea for me. A bit like I don't think I should bungy jump. :)
    It's not about me hating sharks or seeing them as evil, it's about recognizing what I would enjoy and what I would not enjoy and dropping down into the ocean in a cage, with an oxygen tank strapped to my back while giant sharks swam by really isn't something I'd enjoy. BUT I do get a buzz out of other people doing it. :)

actually this trip,,u dont have to scuba dive ..not required

u do use a regulator but ur only 10 ft down
    Just use image shack http://imageshack.us/

no sign up or login....just upload then click the thumbnail pic after.... then copy and past the url of the pic after you click on it. Anonymous...instant...effective...easy

viola...

thanx but im just not into pictures like that

i dont use any of that stuff

i have no patience for it

im lucky i can log onto this board
    :) Exactly. I'm a BIG wuss and here I am trying to convince everyone to do it :p
    see... not scary at all : o

haha! :D Well I was gonna say! :p

I mean I do still swim in the ocean and surf, although not for a long time, but I just figure if one gets me then at least I probably won't even see it coming. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    haha! :D Well I was gonna say! :p

I mean I do still swim in the ocean and surf, although not for a long time, but I just figure if one gets me then at least I probably won't even see it coming. :)

oh u can count on the fact u wont see it coming

it will stalk u from below than race up and hit u from underneath
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    actually this trip,,u dont have to scuba dive ..not required

u do use a regulator but ur only 10 ft down

:D It's a good thing you weren't around to see my keystone cop like antics when I even attempt simple stuff like snorkelling! :D

10 feet down, sorry, I'd be phobic. I know it. :o
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    oh u can count on the fact u wont see it coming

it will stalk u from below than race up and hit u from underneath

yeah, I know. :eek:

But you don't think that makes them effective? :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    yeah, I know. :eek:

But you don't think that makes them effective? :D

effective HUNTERS...... YES

OF HUMANS.. NO
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    effective HUNTERS...... YES

OF HUMANS.. NO

But they probably don't bother with whales right? And it's not like they're gonna come up against an elephant or a rhino so you'd have to say that we are part of their food chain to some degree. Right? :)

We have had incidents of rogue great whites here btw.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    You know, I can see sharks just fine on the discovery channel, close enough for me...what is the matter with these lunatics? lol.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    u rwalize this is 1 of the few things we agree on :) lol

and when a shark bites its to investigate ,,it bites a human by mistake,,realizes "hey this isnt my food,,too many bones and shit" then moves on '
    unfortunately a bite by a large great white can be deadly

but they're NOT AEFFECTIVE HUMAN KILLERS

affective killers of pinnipeds yes humans no
    yeh, I realise that... cos I remembered when you said that you never read my posts and threads :confused::p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Jeanie wrote:
    haha! :D Well I was gonna say!

I mean I do still swim in the ocean and surf, although not for a long time, but I just figure if one gets me then at least I probably won't even see it coming.
    :eek: so you'll actually get in the water WITH them? And you find getting into the cage scary? :D Think about it Jeanie :p

The funny thing is I'm afraid of sharks, I'm also afraid of open water... but the thought of being in a cage in open water where there are sharks doesn't scare me :D . It scares me when I'm about to jump into the cage BUT thinking about it at other times doesnt.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Jeanie wrote:
    But they probably don't bother with whales right? And it's not like they're gonna come up against an elephant or a rhino so you'd have to say that we are part of their food chain to some degree. Right? :)

We have had incidents of rogue great whites here btw.

they will eat dead whales but thats about it

but i disagree with the food chain part

we dont have enough blubber for them ,,like i said when they bite a human they feel the bones and realize A) we're not what they were expecting and B) its a waste of time

and their has been documented proof of killer whales killing great whites
    amazing as it seems
    yeh, I realise that... cos I remembered when you said that you never read my posts and threads :confused::p

not never just very rare lol
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    we dont have enough blubber for them ,,like i said when they bite a human they feel the bones and realize A) we're not what they were expecting and B) its a waste of time

Speak for yourself. I have some blubber in certain parts.

Also, I have been thinking about Helen's shark trip. Did I understand right Helen, you didn't have a regulator? You had to hold your breath and drop down? Tell me about that. I'm not good at holding my breath even though I am physically fit. I probably wouldn't have been able to see as much as I wanted.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Speak for yourself. I have some blubber in certain parts.

Also, I have been thinking about Helen's shark trip. Did I understand right Helen, you didn't have a regulator? You had to hold your breath and drop down? Tell me about that. I'm not good at holding my breath even though I am physically fit. I probably wouldn't have been able to see as much as I wanted.
    Yep you understood right. I don't have a diving cert and a lot of tour operators require one... so to find one which didn't was quite difficult. But you get into the cage and simply wait (not for too long though) so they're standing on the boat and can see further... when they see one coming they let you know and you just take a deep breath and go under... it's amazing how long you can hold your breath for when you can't breathe anyway :D

It was in this place:

http://www.thegreatwhitehouse.co.za/greatwhitesharkcagediving.html
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Yep you understood right. I don't have a diving cert and a lot of tour operators require one... so to find one which didn't was quite difficult. But you get into the cage and simply wait (not for too long though) so they're standing on the boat and can see further... when they see one coming they let you know and you just take a deep breath and go under... it's amazing how long you can hold your breath for when you can't breathe anyway :D

It was in this place:

http://www.thegreatwhitehouse.co.za/greatwhitesharkcagediving.html

Cool. I like the part where they say they will come and get you off the boat if you get seasick. Unfortunately, I would be one of those people.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Cool. I like the part where they say they will come and get you off the boat if you get seasick. Unfortunately, I would be one of those people.
    Hmm... I'm looking at the pics and they've definitely upgraded since I was there :D they have the big cages and all... although I think the boat looks like it MAY be the one we were on... one of the crew I recognise too... the big guy... he was very very helpful. Nobody picked us up when we got seasick though :D we all just kinda got on with it and once we'd all done a dive we were ready to go back... we'd a serious hangover on top of the seasickness and no sleep either
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    yeah i passed this idea by the wife last night she said i would have a heart attack and shit my wet suit ha ha ha ha but i still wan't to try it .....:D
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....