Pearl Jam's Concept Albums

FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Yield was based around Ishmael... or inspired by...

Vitalogy i also feel was a concept album. A very broad one.. but a concept album none the less...

My question is this .... Is a concept album just an album that has a rhythm, a "vibe" if you will? also, what is pearl jam's most conceptual album?

When i think of concept album , i think of an album that relates to a specific thing, or at least all songs stem from something specific. Am i right in thinking this? Or can a concept album be more than one thing?

Next question (just for fun) : If you could pick a concept album for pearl jam to do next... what would it be? what would the title be?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My question is this .... Is a concept album just an album that has a rhythm, a "vibe" if you will? also, what is pearl jam's most conceptual album?

I think you're right. In my opinion, the 'vibe' as you put it, is what makes it a concept album. I don't think it needs a story like say Tommy or The Wall. I think that Sgt. Pepper's by the Beatles and OK Computer by Radiohead can be called concept albums despite that fact that there isn't anything specific holding the albums together.

the only PJ album that comes to qualifying is Vitalogy if you ask me.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I think you're right. In my opinion, the 'vibe' as you put it, is what makes it a concept album. I don't think it needs a story like say Tommy or The Wall. I think that Sgt. Pepper's by the Beatles and OK Computer by Radiohead can be called concept albums despite that fact that there isn't anything specific holding the albums together.

the only PJ album that comes to qualifying is Vitalogy if you ask me.

Really? I always saw "binaural" as a concept album for whatever reason...

You had good examples.. I think maybe Ten had a story line somewhere within it as well.. (as we all know there was a least a couple :D) It seems like alot of the greatest were concept albums...
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I've always considered YIELD a concept album.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Interesting read here as far as NO CODE being a concept album...

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67290
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Interesting read here as far as NO CODE being a concept album...

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67290

Wow, preciate that! Very nice read....