American Gangster

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Who else has seen this? I went to see it last night and I reckon it's one of the best films I've seen in a long long time. I've never been much of a fan of Russell Crowe but he was absolutely fantastic and Denzel Washington was brilliant as always... I think when the two of them finally got in the room together, it was better than Pacino and DeNiro in Heat. The acting was just brilliant.
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Russel Crowe is a frikkin legend!!! Never speak ill of him, or else he'll throw a phone at your head. Anyways, I'm going to see it tonight. Can't wait.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    :cool:
    Been looking at the reviews of this and quite liking what I see...

I love going to the cinema anyway and need very few excuses :)

May even go alone ;)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Russel Crowe is a frikkin legend!!! Never speak ill of him, or else he'll throw a phone at your head. Anyways, I'm going to see it tonight. Can't wait.
    Ooohh... have fun hitch :)

I'll probably even go and see it again in a week or two... it was THAT good! I was just so excited at the end :D probably woulda been shouting at the screen at the acting stand off if I wasn't in a room full of people :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • :cool:
    Been looking at the reviews of this and quite liking what I see...

I love going to the cinema anyway and need very few excuses :)

May even go alone ;)
    well I was kinda thinking of going to rendition but then I thought this one would be good and my housemate came along with me... go alone :) it's engaging enough to go alone... I didn't even notice if there WERE people on their own there it was so engaging :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Who else has seen this? I went to see it last night and I reckon it's one of the best films I've seen in a long long time. I've never been much of a fan of Russell Crowe but he was absolutely fantastic and Denzel Washington was brilliant as always... I think when the two of them finally got in the room together, it was better than Pacino and DeNiro in Heat. The acting was just brilliant.

okay first up...that scene in heat with pacino and de niro was, imo crap and too staged. not to mention ridiculous within the arc of the story. i heard it was done only to appease the studio bosses who couldnt fathom those two men being in a film and not sharing a scene.

and secondly. you do realise crowe and washington have worked together before, yeah? virtuosity(1995) :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • okay first up...that scene in heat with pacino and de niro was, imo crap and too staged. not to mention ridiculous within the arc of the story. i heard it was done only to appease the studio bosses who couldnt fathom those two men being in a film and not sharing a scene.

and secondly. you do realise crowe and washington have worked together before, yeah? virtuosity(1995) :)
    I didn't know that... and I don't care :) cos well I'm not quite sure why but I've suddenly got pretty giddy :D

Anyway, I agree... watching that scene last night was pretty much saying 'in your fucking FACE, this is how it SHOULD be done' :D and it was FANTASTIC. Now shuddup and go see the film :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    I didn't know that... and I don't care :) cos well I'm not quite sure why but I've suddenly got pretty giddy :D

Anyway, I agree... watching that scene last night was pretty much saying 'in your fucking FACE, this is how it SHOULD be done' :D and it was FANTASTIC. Now shuddup and go see the film :)

hasn't been released here yet. :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hasn't been released here yet. :(
    Ooops, oh ok then :( when ya getting it?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Ooops, oh ok then :( when ya getting it?

hang on i'll just consult my crystal ball. :D:p ..... i have no idea.
    we havent even got into the wild yet. :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hang on i'll just consult my crystal ball. :D:p ..... i have no idea.
    we havent even got into the wild yet. :(
    :o oh dear... well look at it this way though, you've a LOT to look forward to :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :o oh dear... well look at it this way though, you've a LOT to look forward to :)

so tell me...who's the good guy and who's the baddie?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • so tell me...who's the good guy and who's the baddie?
    Before I say anything... just know that I'm not giving anything away at all. It's based on a true story which is probably well known in the states anyway. And any info I give will be in most reviews... so if you're gonna be one of those fussy people who go 'why the fuck did you have to go and say that? I didn't know that', don't bother even READING the thread cos there may or may not be some discussion about the film :rolleyes: (sorry Cate, not you, but there's always ONE)

So yeh :) Denzel's the bad guy... the biggest heroin dealer in the states in the 70s. Russell's the narc. It IS slightly overglamourised... but in a goodfellas kinda way.

*kinda spoiler alert*

I like the way, having got to like BOTH guys in the film, they get to work together at the end... BRILLIANT ending!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Ooops :o sorry!

In the other thread it was also discussed that this was not their first movie together..as I thought it was too...They made 'Virtuosity' back in 1995, which I fucking hated..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    Before I say anything... just know that I'm not giving anything away at all. It's based on a true story which is probably well known in the states anyway. And any info I give will be in most reviews... so if you're gonna be one of those fussy people who go 'why the fuck did you have to go and say that? I didn't know that', don't bother even READING the thread cos there may or may not be some discussion about the film :rolleyes: (sorry Cate, not you, but there's always ONE)

So yeh :) Denzel's the bad guy... the biggest heroin dealer in the states in the 70s. Russell's the narc. It IS slightly overglamourised... but in a goodfellas kinda way.

*kinda spoiler alert*

I like the way, having got to like BOTH guys in the film, they get to work together at the end... BRILLIANT ending!

oh yeah! denzel as a baddie. he does that so well. well why wouldn't he be? he's a superb actor. :)
    if denzel's deep undercover, i dont want to know about it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I never saw virtuosity :o but best to leave this thread now and go back to the other one :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    The Champ wrote:
    In the other thread it was also discussed that this was not their first movie together..as I thought it was too...They made 'Virtuosity' back in 1995, which I fucking hated..

i did mention that on page 1. :)

what? you didnt like sid 6.7? :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I never saw virtuosity :o but best to leave this thread now and go back to the other one :o

Why? I only pasted the thread here in case some were interested in reading that as well..Like you, many thought it was their first time working together....
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    i did mention that on page 1. :)

what? you didnt like sid 6.7? :D

I think I turned that shit off after about thirty minutes or so...
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • *SPOILER WARNING*

I thought it was OK, but not great. Denzel is excellent in it, but the story wasn't all that interesting...especially the end where he and the cops suddenly chum up together. That seemed cheesy to me. The Frank Lucas character was great, but the movie didn't let him fully shine.

I dunno...I give it a 6 out of 10 or so. If you wanna see Denzel play a bad guy in a great movie, see Training Day.
  • The Champ wrote:
    Why? I only pasted the thread here in case some were interested in reading that as well..Like you, many thought it was their first time working together....
    ah ok, no probs :)

and saturnal, I thought of course Denzel was great in training day (as he always did) but the film did nothing for me :o

*spoiler alert*

did the teaming up together thing not REALLY happen? Who's side did the story come from? The lawyer or the dealer?

and the story wasn't interesting? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ah ok, no probs :)

and saturnal, I thought of course Denzel was great in training day (as he always did) but the film did nothing for me :o

*spoiler alert*

did the teaming up together thing not REALLY happen? Who's side did the story come from? The lawyer or the dealer?

and the story wasn't interesting? :o
    I dunno if they really teamed up, but seeing them laughing together and shit just seemed silly.

But your questions are exactly right...who's side did the story come from? That's the whole reason why I didn't like it. This should've been a character piece about Frank Lucas, but it wasn't. They had to make half the story about the cop, which was not interesting to me at all. The history, brutality, intelligence, innovativeness, etc. of Lucas should've been developed way more than they were, which would've made his downfall more dramatic and spectacular. But there wasn't enough time to do this because someone decided that the cop's story should be told as well.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    I dunno if they really teamed up, but seeing them laughing together and shit just seemed silly.

But your questions are exactly right...who's side did the story come from? That's the whole reason why I didn't like it. This should've been a character piece about Frank Lucas, but it wasn't. They had to make half the story about the cop, which was not interesting to me at all. The history, brutality, intelligence, innovativeness, etc. of Lucas should've been developed way more than they were, which would've made his downfall more dramatic and spectacular. But there wasn't enough time to do this because someone decided that the cop's story should be told as well.
    I dunno... seeing them teamed up made perfect sense to me... cos I was rooting for both of them. It was a bit silly cos, to have done what Lucas did, he must have been some fucker so to come away from the film actually liking him and glad he only served 15 years was quite an achievement I suppose :eek: . Of course they were trying to make it as much about the cop, in a kinda 'heat' way and I did find it interesting cos it all wrapped together in the end. It showed how some of the cops were maybe worse than the bad guys and the two of them worked together to bring them down.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Saturnal wrote:
    I dunno...I give it a 6 out of 10 or so. If you wanna see Denzel play a bad guy in a great movie, see Training Day.

oh i did.. and he was most excellent. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • oh i did.. and he was most excellent. :)
    mhmmm...Alonzo is by far the best villain I've seen in a long long time. The best villains are people who are as seductive as they are evil, so you can't tell they're evil until it's almost too late.