Anyone ever have money mysteriously deducted from your debit account?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I looked at my online banking just now, and $468 that I didn't spend was deducted from my account today.. spent at a clothing store I have never set foot in.

I didn't loose my debit card. Is it possible the computer system just made a mistake? I hope they fix it. I'll have to call my bank in the morning..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Can you report it online now????

Or ring up the customer service people for your bank NOW????

I wouldn't wait. If it's an unauthorized transaction I'd be wanting the bank to know about it immediately just in case your card has been skimmed.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    Jeanie wrote:

I wouldn't wait. If it's an unauthorized transaction I'd be wanting the bank to know about it immediately just in case your card has been skimmed.

Jeanie's right. if you use a bank with more than a few branches they should have a 1-800 24-hour customer service number
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Jeanie wrote:

I can't get a hold of them now. The bank is closed. Even over the phone. It's Harris. They are a pretty big bank. I sent an email, but thats about all I can do now.

The transaction was a "pos" sale, which makes it weirder. You would need a card for that. I has to be a computer mistake. Hopefully it will all be cleared up in the morning.

and yes, I've been freaking out about it. I called my mom to ask her what I should do and she said it happens every now and then and that they will fix it when I call in the morning.
    I can't get a hold of them now. The bank is closed. Even over the phone. It's Harris. They are a pretty big bank. I sent an email, but thats about all I can do now.

There must be a number that the bank has that's open for you to report it?
    If you've sent an email that's good. I don't know Harris, coz we don't have them here. But an email is good. I just know even with my dodgy bank here in Oz, if there is an unauthorized transaction on my card, I can ring customer service and even have them cancel the card if I need to.

But if you've logged it with them by email, I guess get on the phone to them in the morning as soon as possible. And keep an eye over your account until you can. I suppose you've got no one with you? Just so you can prove that you're not out shopping?
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Oops! Sorry. Didn't mean to freak you out. :o

But yeah, I'd get onto it as fast as possible.

Sometimes that kind of thing does happen and the bank adjusts it, but just in case.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Oops! Sorry. Didn't mean to freak you out. :o

But yeah, I'd get onto it as fast as possible.

Sometimes that kind of thing does happen and the bank adjusts it, but just in case.
    No, its ok. I've had a ruff week. I'm freaking myself out. I just got a new place and have spent allot of money. I haven't had internet for a week and signing on today to see my checking account was $468 less than it should be was the icing on the cake for the day of fun I've had.

I seriously can't afford to stress myself anymore at this point. Hopefully this will be resolved in the morning.
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    No, its ok. I've had a ruff week. I'm freaking myself out. I just got a new place and have spent allot of money. I haven't had internet for a week and signing on today to see my checking account was $468 less than it should be was the icing on the cake for the day of fun I've had.

I seriously can't afford to stress myself anymore at this point. Hopefully this will be resolved in the morning.

oh man. just relax, breathe easy. but make sure the bank knows. call first thing in the morning.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around

I hate days like that! :( Just try to relax. :) You've sent the email. If you can't ring the bank now there's not a whole lot you can do. So I say, crack a can, or open a nice bottle of wine, have a shower, have some dinner maybe, kick back and relax. You can sort it all out in the morning with the bank. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    I hate days like that! :( Just try to relax. :) You've sent the email. If you can't ring the bank now there's not a whole lot you can do. So I say, crack a can, or open a nice bottle of wine, have a shower, have some dinner maybe, kick back and relax. You can sort it all out in the morning with the bank. :)
    lol, the bottle is 3/4 done. :)
    lol, the bottle is 3/4 done. :)

And you feel calmer right? :D

What flavor? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    And you feel calmer right? :D

What flavor? :)
    Charles Shaw Shiraz.. $2.99 a bottle. :)
    Charles Shaw Shiraz.. $2.99 a bottle. :)

mmmm..... :) Maybe that's what I need to do? Open a bottle of something. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    What's the update? Did you get it sorted with the bank? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Yep, banks do make mistakes. I reconciled our shelter's bank account last month and they paid a check written for $118.00 for $1180.00. I hadn't seen that since the 70's or 80's, when it was actually quite common. Just a heads up for you that don't reconcile your accounts. Of course they fixed it, but if I hadn't caught it early it could have meant fees etc. that also would have needed to be fixed. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I would be angry to find a mistake like this.

Bother them until they fix it! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    i remember looking at one of my online statements about 1 year ago and seeing some charges that i couldn't explain. i printed it out and took it to the bank. the teller asked if i had lost my card, which i hadn't.

i was filling out the dispute form when she asked if i would mind her calling the numbers that were listed after the charge. funny, i totally overlooked the numbers. i told her to go ahead...and after each number she called she started to blush a little. she's leans over and tells me they were both "sex numbers". yep, that's what she said, "sex numbers". what's even funnier is i didn't hear her the first couple times so she raised her voice loud enough that i and everybody around me could hear.

anyway, you get things taken care of?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • $20 says it was a legitimate forgotten purchase.

I've done it. Called the bank....and after a little memory jogging...doh...shit...forgot about that one!
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    Jeanie wrote:
    What's the update? Did you get it sorted with the bank? :)
    Well, turns out, somebody in South Dakota made a purchase online using my debit number.. have no idea how they got it considering I only use my debit card at ATMs.. They canceled the online order, and the money never got to the point where it actually left my account.. I've been told I can press charges, but am wondering if thats even worth the time.
    $20 says it was a legitimate forgotten purchase.

I've done it. Called the bank....and after a little memory jogging...doh...shit...forgot about that one!
    Not $468.. no way.. anything over $20 and I know exactly what I bought.
  • Not $468.. no way.. anything over $20 and I know exactly what I bought.

I have a habit of dropping far too much money sometimes.

Did you call them? What did they say?

edit: oops read above...a couple posts
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    Well, turns out, somebody in South Dakota made a purchase online using my debit number.. have no idea how they got it considering I only use my debit card at ATMs.. They canceled the online order, and the money never got to the point where it actually left my account.. I've been told I can press charges, but am wondering if thats even worth the time.

skimming maybe? you must have that there? they put a little device on the atm get your card number and your pin. or maybe somehow they've managed to hack into your computer and get the number? or maybe into one of the online sites where you've used your card? maybe they hacked into the bank?

anyway, I'm glad the bank is onto it and have cancelled the transaction.
    I know it's a pain in the arse, but I'd be pressing charges.

I'm glad it's sorted though LAO. It's so stressful!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
This discussion has been closed.