Options

NY is keeping an eye on you

1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Nothing like having you private medical info monitored by the all-knowing government nanny. What will be next???

Big Brother Prescribes
Are mandatory aerobics classes in your future?
Ronald Bailey

"When anyone dies at an early age from a preventable cause in New York City, it's my fault," New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden declared recently (Financial Times registration required). In his campaign to make sure that no New Yorker dies before his or her time, Frieden has adopted an expansive notion of public health.

Historically, public health has focused on protecting people from the risks of communicable diseases. Thus public health officials have been empowered to mandate vaccinations, require the chlorination of water, order that milk be pasteurized, and quarantine sick people in order to control epidemics. Even the city's recent broad smoking ban was justified in part on the grounds that smokers were harming the health of others by exposing them to second-hand smoke.

But safeguarding people from the risks potentially imposed on them by third parties is no longer enough—Frieden now wants to protect people from themselves. So New York's Board of Public Health has turned its attention to the city's diabetics. In January 2006, the city's health bureaucrats began implementing a surveillance program that will eventually include nearly all of the city's 530,000 diabetics. In the current issue of Science, Columbia University professor of sociomedical studies Amy Fairchild, writes, "If New York comes to serve as a model, public health surveillance will take on a radical new form, entailing a reconfiguration of the relation between public health and medicine."

New York's radical new surveillance system requires mandatory electronic reporting of the glycosylated hemoglobin A1c values of all diabetics tested by all city laboratories to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOH). Keep in mind that diabetes is not a communicable disease. The recent increase in diabetes among Americans is associated with the increase in obesity. Unlike measles, a person cannot catch it merely by standing next to someone munching on a Krispy Kreme donut or pigging out on slices of Famous Ray's pizza.

Nevertheless, diabetes is a health problem for 20 million Americans. Diabetics have higher than normal levels of glucose in their blood. Years of higher blood glucose eventually damage small blood vessels leading to high blood pressure, and to kidney, heart, and nerve disease. One physician friend told me that he adds ten years to the age of his diabetic patients. Testing for A1c measures the average level of glucose in the blood for the past 2 to 3 months. Thus it's a convenient way for diabetics and their physicians to check how well they have been controlling their glucose levels. Generally A1c values for non-diabetics are below 7 percent and studies show that the closer a diabetic can keep this value to 7 percent or below, the less likely he or she is to suffer from the complications of the disease. Unhappily, one study estimated that only 37 percent of diabetics in the United States maintained A1c values below 7 percent.

Under the new city diabetic surveillance system, the results from all tests for A1c (estimated to be between 1 million and 2 million annually) will go the city's DOH. The registry will record the full name, date of birth, and address of each person tested and the date each test was performed. Diabetics whose A1c levels are too high will receive a letter and educational materials from the DOH and their physicians will be alerted to their test results. Frieden says that the surveillance information collected will remain confidential and any diabetics who don't want to hear from the DOH can opt out, but they cannot prevent their test results from being filed in the registry.

In her discussion of the diabetic surveillance program, Fairchild makes a distinction between "hard" and "soft" paternalism. "What distinguishes hard paternalism from its softer counterpart is the role of coercion," she writes. Fairchild concludes that the surveillance system is acceptable soft paternalism because "no one would be forced to undergo treatment or lifestyle change." What's wrong with a little education, courtesy of the DOH? As it stands, nothing much; but will the DOH's interventions stop at non-coercive letters, phone calls and pamphlets?

In the United States, the health care costs for diabetes top $45 billion annually and absorb 25 percent of Medicare's budget. In addition, 42 percent of diabetics receiving Medicaid in New York City have dangerously high A1c levels of above 9 percent. Should the chiding approach of letters and phone calls fail to get results, it's not difficult to imagine that Frieden and other city health officials would argue for applying a bit of "hard" paternalism because poor diabetics are busting city and state health care budgets. One step toward harder paternalism might be compulsory exercise and nutrition classes.

And why stop at monitoring diabetics? After all, far more Americans suffer from cardiovascular diseases than they do from diabetes. For example, 65 million Americans have hypertension (there is some overlap with diabetics); 100 million Americans have above-normal cholesterol and 35 million have high cholesterol. Heart disease costs nearly $200 billion in direct medical costs every year, much of it also picked up by Medicare and Medicaid. New York's diabetic surveillance program could be the harbinger for similar mandatory programs for monitoring everyone's serum cholesterol, hypertension, and even percentage of body fat.

In the past, Americans recognized a distinction between public and personal health. If I smoked, drank too much, supersized regularly or failed to get to the gym, it was my own fault, not Health Commissioner Frieden's. However, when (and if) government-funded universal health insurance becomes a reality, the distinction between public and personal health will fade away. Then get ready for your prescription for compulsory biweekly aerobics classes.

http://www.reason.com/rb/rb071406.shtml
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Great article. I'm opposed to universal heath care for a variety of reasons, but this highlights one of them. It is a logical extension to say that if you want the gov't owning your healthcare, you should want them owning your well-being and preventative care as well. Mandatory gov't run health clubs would be just the ticket to help lower universal healthcare costs. You could take your national ID card, swipe it through the gov't healthclub reader so they could log your visit into the national database. If you don't work out often enough, or if your BMI is too high they could send you to a fat camp until you worked it off. Think of how healthy we'd all be if the government just got more involved in our lives.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    Someone needs to tell the writer that not all people with blood sugar problems are fat. What the f?

That's quite an alarmist and ill-informed piece.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:
    Someone needs to tell the writer that not all people with blood sugar problems are fat. What the f?

I missed that part. Where did he say that? A correlation exists between an increase in obesity and an increase in diabetes. The state of NY is now monitoring and cataloging the results of mandatory electronic reporting of the tests, and those with elevated levels are getting sent educational material. At the very least this is the nanny state taking on an expanded role. Others might even consider this an invasion of privacy. But I'm sure there are plenty of folks who sleep better now that they know the government is taking care of them.
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    I missed that part. Where did he say that? A correlation exists between an increase in obesity and an increase in diabetes. The state of NY is now monitoring and cataloging the results of mandatory electronic reporting of the tests, and those with elevated levels are getting sent educational material. At the very least this is the nanny state taking on an expanded role. Others might even consider this an invasion of privacy. But I'm sure there are plenty of folks who sleep better now that they know the government is taking care of them.

Did you read the article? Throughout the WHOLE thing (and read the title!) he suggests there may be mandatory exercize (alarmist and presumptious). It's the foundation for his 'thoughts on paper'. Check again for the Krispy Kreme and Famous Ray references.

Yeah genius, I know there's a correlation between obesity and Type II diabetes, thanks. That's not the only correlation, and that's not the only type of diabetes.
  • Options
    1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    VictoryGin wrote:
    Did you read the article? Throughout the WHOLE thing (and read the title!) he suggests there may be mandatory exercize (alarmist and presumptious). It's the foundation for his 'thoughts on paper'. Check again for the Krispy Kreme and Famous Ray references.

Yeah genius, I know there's a correlation between obesity and Type II diabetes, thanks. That's not the only correlation, and that's not the only type of diabetes.
    The cause of diabetes does not alter the fact that the city of New York is collecting and monitoring the results of individuals test results for a disease that is non-communicable.
    If you want to dwell on donuts & pizza, go for it. As jeffbr said, I find this program an intrusive expansion of government and am certainly "alarmed" about where programs like this will lead.
  • Options
    It's a bit of a jump from getting an informational pamphlet (a pamphlet you can choose not to recieve, by the way) in the mail to state-mandated aerobics classes, isn't it?? The piece was a little over-the-top.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:
    The cause of diabetes does not alter the fact that the city of New York is collecting and monitoring the results of individuals test results for a disease that is non-communicable.
    If you want to dwell on donuts & pizza, go for it. As jeffbr said, I find this program an intrusive expansion of government and am certainly "alarmed" about where programs like this will lead.

Diabetes is a serious disease. I think information on how to handle it is not inapporpriate. Maybe it can even start a dialogue on why it is increasing so much and how this society can improve the situation.

In other words, I don't give a shit that the department of public health here is monitoring that.
  • Options
    It's a bit of a jump from getting an informational pamphlet (a pamphlet you can choose not to recieve, by the way) in the mail to state-mandated aerobics classes, isn't it?? The piece was a little over-the-top.

What isn't over the top is that they are creating a database, monitoring users' test results, and taking proactive action to do "something". You statists seem to think that's fine, we libertarians think not.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    VictoryGin wrote:

indeed.
    family history does play a part for many as well...but sure, one can do much to help/prevent it for themselves too.

that said, yikes!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    If the gov't wanted to really do something good in this regard they would force these fast food killers to actually make and sell nutritious, healthy food.

Yes it can be done (and taste good) so don't roll your eyes. But why would they want that? They are making zillions from all the drugs they sell to sick and dying people.

The gov't always says one thing then does another. And why are we still surprised? The goodness in us clouds us from admitting that those in true power are *the* most evil people of all in our society.

It's just one long neverending mind-F of deception...
  • Options
    CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    If the gov't wanted to really do something good in this regard they would force these fast food killers to actually make and sell nutritious, healthy food.

Yes it can be done (and taste good) so don't roll your eyes. But why would they want that? They are making zillions from all the drugs they sell to sick and dying people.

The gov't always says one thing then does another. And why are we still surprised? The goodness in us clouds us from admitting that those in true power are *the* most evil people of all in our society.

It's just one long neverending mind-F of deception...

its not that easy.....its such everyone's problem....not just the gov't's everything is so intertwined.....you can't just point fingers at the people who do all the official work.....it is so about the simple statement: be the change you wish to see in other people.....
    I need to finish writing.