N. Korea Threatens Attacks on U.S.

pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
N. Korea warns of nuclear war if attacked
By JOSEPH COLEMAN, Associated Press Writer

North Korea would respond to a pre-emptive U.S. military attack with an "annihilating strike and a nuclear war," the state-run media said Monday, heightening anti-U.S. rhetoric amid close scrutiny of its missile program.

The Korean Central News Agency, citing an unidentified Rodong Sinmun newspaper "analyst," accused the United States of increasing military pressure on the isolated communist state and basing new spy planes on the Korean Peninsula.

The North Korean threat of retaliation, which is often voiced by its state-controlled media, comes amid U.S. official reports that Pyongyang has shown signs of preparing for a test of a long-range missile. North Korea claims it has the right to such a launch.

On Friday, Pyongyang accused the United States of driving the situation on the Korean Peninsula "to the brink of war," and said it is fully prepared to counter any U.S. aggression.

Monday's report accused Washington of escalating military pressure on the country with war exercises, a massive arms buildup and aerial espionage by basing new spy planes in South Korea.

"This is a grave military provocation and blackmail to the DPRK, being an indication that the U.S. is rapidly pushing ahead in various fields with the extremely dangerous war moves," the dispatch said.

"The army and people of the DPRK are now in full preparedness to answer a pre-emptive attack with a relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war with a mighty nuclear deterrent," the report said.

DPRK stands for the North's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

North Korea routinely accuses the U.S. of aerial espionage, issuing a tally of such flights at the end of every month. The U.S. military doesn't comment, although it acknowledges monitoring North Korean military activity.

Washington and Japan have said in recent weeks that spy satellite images show North Korea has taken steps to prepare a long-range Taepodong-2 missile for a test-launch.

Estimates for the range of the missile vary widely, but at least one U.S. study said it could be able to reach parts of the United States with a light payload.

Speculation that Pyongyang could fire the missile has waned in recent days since the country's top ally and a major source of its energy supplies, China, reportedly urged North Korea not to go ahead with the test.

A news report said Monday that China has offered a new proposal over the stalled six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear program.

Chinese State Councilor Tang Jiaxuan told Ichiro Ozawa, the head of Japan's main opposition party, that China had relayed the proposal to Japan, the two Koreas, the United States and Russia, Kyodo News agency reported, citing party officials.

The report did not elaborate on the proposal. An opposition party spokesman in Tokyo could not be reached for comment.

Ozawa is in Beijing for a six-day stay that party officials hope will include a meeting with Chinese President Hu Jintao, according to Kyodo.

Meanwhile, a South Korean government official said Seoul is considering buying U.S. shipborne SM-2 missiles to bolster its missile-defense system.

The move is the latest by South Korea and Japan to strengthen their defenses amid signs of the North Korean missile test. Seoul announced last week the purchase of Patriot interceptor missiles from Germany.

SM-2 missiles, however, are reportedly effective against cruise missiles and at striking aircraft but would not be able to hit a long-range missile.

"I understand that we have requested information" on the missiles for purchase, said Park Sung-soo, an official at the Defense Acquisition Program Administration, without elaborating.

The U.S. Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress of the possible sale last week, according to its Web site. The order would be for 48 SM-2 Block IIIB tactical standard missiles and associated equipment and training.

The agency estimated the cost at $111 million.

South Korea would use the missiles to defend its new KDX-III AEGIS destroyer, and already uses SM-2 Block IIIA missiles in its ship combat systems, the agency said. The prime contractor will be Raytheon Systems Company of Tucson, Ariz., the agency said.

In early June, the Pentagon notified Congress that the U.S. could sell Japan nine upgraded SM-3 missiles and related equipment for use on their AEGIS destroyers. The price tag was put at up to $438 million.

Japan already has four AEGIS destroyers operating with SM-2 missiles, and two more are under construction, the Pentagon said.

Last week, officials said that South Korea had notified Germany of its interest in buying Patriot interceptor missiles, with the aim of replacing its outdated Nike-Hercules missiles by 2010.

The Nike-Hercules missiles have served as South Korea's main anti-aircraft weapons for some 40 years, but the Patriot missiles are more advanced at intercepting and destroying incoming ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and enemy aircraft.

South Korea's military as yet has no Patriots, although some are already deployed on U.S. bases in the country, where about 29,500 U.S. troops are stationed as a deterrent against communist North Korea.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    pjalive21 wrote:

Seoul is considering buying U.S. shipborne SM-2 missiles to bolster its missile-defense system.

South Korea and Japan to strengthen their defenses amid signs of the North Korean missile test.

"I understand that we have requested information" on the missiles for purchase, said Park Sung-soo, an official at the Defense Acquisition Program Administration

The order would be for 48 SM-2 Block IIIB tactical standard missiles and associated equipment and training.

The agency estimated the cost at $111 million.

The prime contractor will be Raytheon Systems Company of Tucson, Ariz., the agency said.

the Pentagon notified Congress that the U.S. could sell Japan nine upgraded SM-3 missiles and related equipment for use on their AEGIS destroyers. The price tag was put at up to $438 million.

Japan already has four AEGIS destroyers operating with SM-2 missiles, and two more are under construction, the Pentagon said.

U.S. bases in the country, where about 29,500 U.S. troops are stationed as a deterrent against communist North Korea.

the worlds largest weapons dealer (U.S.A) makes more money
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Not just a nuclear war, but an "annililating strike" to boot!

What a bunch of backwards freakjobs running that country ... Truly. North Korea is what the U.S. would look like if they really were no checks on military spending.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Not just a nuclear war, but an "annililating strike" to boot!

What a bunch of backwards freakjobs running that country ... Truly. North Korea is what the U.S. would look like if they really were no checks on military spending.

good point

you know what, when another country barks threats i usually can brush it off, but when N. Korea speaks like this i take them alot more seriously

North Korea is what the U.S. would look like if they really were no checks on military spending.

the US spends more on the military then the rest of the world combined... i see no checks?
    pjalive21 wrote:
    good point

you know what, when another country barks threats i usually can brush it off, but when N. Korea speaks like this i take them alot more seriously

Few governments disgust me as much as this one does. Even the Iranian president looks kind of sane and rational by comparison. At least he only threatens Israel and the U.S. Kim would be perfectly content to burn the entire globe, I think ...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sounds like somebody is crying for attention.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    my2hands wrote:
    the US spends more on the military then the rest of the world combined... i see no checks?

If you truly saw no checks, there would no absolutely no spending on any humanitarian concerns, which is pretty much what North Korea looks like. The poorest there cannot even afford a little bit of rice.
    Of course the U.S. spends a lot on military concerns ... They also have a hell of a lot of money to spend. The U.S. also contributes more $ to international aid efforts than any other nation.
  • LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    pjalive21 wrote:
    N. Korea warns of nuclear war if attacked By JOSEPH COLEMAN, Associated Press Writer

Who is Joseph Coleman and why would he attack North Korea by himself?
    LBC1076 wrote:

haha..thats funny

good catch
  • falconfalcon Posts: 163
    LBC1076 wrote:

Ahhh, very witty.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    LBC1076 wrote:

Someone always says something like this. Yet I always find it hilarious.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • "You're breaking my balls Hans, you're breaking my balls. I told ya I don't have any weapons of mass destruction okay?".
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Korea is where we should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These guys are the biggest threat to us and the world right now. They are so trigger happy that they could blow any time. They hate us and they want and will try to kill us.
    I'll be back
  • Infinity_NowInfinity_Now Posts: 188
    "All options are on the table."
  • EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    It's been a while since there's been some good ole' military posturing, pre-emptive strikes get boring after a little while. They're so drearily predictable. No tension is created. Just the deaths of thousands of hapless citizens and soldiers.

A mad man with a button is much better for journalists. No statistics, just trying their dammdest to remain neutral.

If I was North Korea I would be saying the same fucking thing. If I was Iran I'd be racing to get nukes as soon as I could, so I COULD say the same thing. If you attack us we'll nuke you. These people aren't stupid, this is what kept the US and the USSR from starting the largest war in the history of mankind. MAD - mutually assured destruction.

Yes of course we have first strike capabilities and all that, and of course it isn't the same. But we would have to Nuke North Korea first, and no matter how out of line they get, the opinion of the international community mean a lot more when the president has bankrupt us.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I hope this doesn't amount to war. Damn I'm proud to be Canadian.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I hope this doesn't amount to war. Damn I'm proud to be Canadian.

see why cant we be like Canada??

sit to the north, ignore the worlds problems, and watch the rest of the world destroy itself?
    The U.S. also contributes more $ to international aid efforts than any other nation.

not as a % of GDP... many countries give more % wise compared to their GDP... we are not as generous as you might think
    Korea is where we should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These guys are the biggest threat to us and the world right now. They are so trigger happy that they could blow any time. They hate us and they want and will try to kill us.

jesus h christ... american propaganda REALLY works :rolleyes:

repeat after me...NORTH KOREA IS NOT A THREAT...

we have 10,000 nuclear weapons, i think that qualifies US as a threat to the WORLD
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790

North Korea is a major threat to their neighboring countires, but how are they a direct threat to the US? A nuclear bomb isn't going to get here, well, unless 5,000 North Koreans pick up a bomb and throw it as us.

Iran hates us and wants to kill us too. For 25 years, they have been shouting "Death to America" every Friday after prayers :rolleyes:
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
    JD Sal wrote:
    A nuclear bomb isn't going to get here, well, unless 5,000 North Koreans pick up a bomb and throw it as us.

i see you watched the last lewis black stand up :)
  • my2hands wrote:

Ugh.

The Chinese military budget, if adjusted accordingly, arguably approaches the US budget.

The Russian figures during the cold war often exceeded the US budget.

The US also subsidizes military expenditures throughout the industrial world. In the absence of US military spending, many nations would spend much more (though certainly not as much as the US spends).

Not defending the US military budget....I'm against all of it. But the above statistic is relatively meaningless.
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    my2hands wrote:
    i see you watched the last lewis black stand up :)

Yes, yes I did :D
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • my2hands wrote:
    not as a % of GDP... many countries give more % wise compared to their GDP... we are not as generous as you might think

Nice to see that you only hold the posts of others to that standard.

How about your own:
    my2hands wrote:

US Military spending as a % of GDP
    http://www.truthandpolitics.org/military-relative-size-graph.php?meas=GDP

Military spending as % of GDP for all nations (watch out for Madagascar :))
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2034.html

http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs/allied_contrib2000/chartIII-3.html
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

Yeah, whatever!
    my2hands wrote:
    jesus h christ... american propaganda REALLY works :rolleyes:

repeat after me...NORTH KOREA IS NOT A THREAT...

we have 10,000 nuclear weapons, i think that qualifies US as a threat to the WORLD

At last, a sane comment amongst all this hysterical, typically American bullshit. I think most of you mugs need to re-read the above article. It reads....

North Korea would respond to a pre-emptive U.S. military attack with an "annihilating strike and a nuclear war," the state-run media said Monday

Did you catch that? "...would respond to a pre-emptive U.S. military attack.." Right then, let's reassess this situation: The U.S is planning an illegal, pre-emptive military attack against a sovereign nation. So who's the threat? Who are the terrorists here? Why are so many Americans so gullible and war hungry? And why does the American media find it so easy to whip up war fever among the population?
    Few governments disgust me as much as this one does. Even the Iranian president looks kind of sane and rational by comparison. At least he only threatens Israel and the U.S. Kim would be perfectly content to burn the entire globe, I think ...

Unlike the Philanphropists in the Bush Administration right?

I take it your joking, right? You surely can't be that dumb?
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    North Korea threatens attacked IF the US attacks first...

"The army and people of the DPRK are now in full preparedness to answer a pre-emptive attack with a relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war with a mighty nuclear deterrent," the report said.

Simply said they'd defend themselves.
  • thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    N. Korea said they would be prepared to launch missiles as a result of a pre-emptive strikes against their country. They won't attack the USA, they will defend themselves in case of an attack...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau