The Greatest American Concern

2»

Comments

• know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Abuskedti wrote:
    isn't that silly.. I can see where you blame these things for some of the wrongs in the world....

But surely even you'd prefer that oppression and starvation were conquered even at the cost of our having to deal with lazy people.

I'm sorry - I thought the question was the greatest AMERICAN concern. As in - what's wrong with the USA. So that's the way I answered it.

By the way - what is YOUR opinion since you're so eager to criticize others?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • 1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    The growth of government power and corresponding erosion on privacy and freedom through the "War on Drugs", "War on Terror" and the "War on Whatever We Are Scared of Next".
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    I would like this. In all the posts I've seen you make in the past couple of days, I've yet to see you actually respond to ONE post without solely bashing their point of view. I don't know how old you are, but I can tell you that you will not get very far in life at all if that is the only thing you. Seriously, be mature for a change and respond to his question, don't just call him some "Right wing zealot" or something like that (I'm not saying thats what that guy is).

He called Bush a divider and me a dumbshit and part of the flock of sheep. I was the one asking a question...How is Bush a divider? How is that me bashing someone's view? I also started a thread asking how Democrats would fight the war on terror and never got an answer.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    surferdude wrote:
    This stupid board doesn't let you bold stuff to signify a change. It's not like I put anything bad in the quote though.

Have you looked at the vB code link in the bottom left corner?

Love,
    Kat
    Falling down,...not staying down

• kat is right

spot on in fact
    www.myspace.com/rockmastergeneral

To break down borders and realise that we are one species and then the true patriotism comes from pride and love of the human race, not from the tribes of which we currently are divided, open your eyes your mind will see! - ME
  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    know1 wrote:
    I'm sorry - I thought the question was the greatest AMERICAN concern. As in - what's wrong with the USA. So that's the way I answered it.

By the way - what is YOUR opinion since you're so eager to criticize others?

not eager to criticize.. just concerned and sensative to this kind of canned political thinking... get in the way and causes bad mistakes, like the one we are living with now.
  • know1 wrote:
    1. Lack of individual responsibility and the tendency to blame others for one's situation

2. Laziness

Two things that REALLY agitate and worry me as well.
  • He called Bush a divider and me a dumbshit and part of the flock of sheep. I was the one asking a question...How is Bush a divider? How is that me bashing someone's view? I also started a thread asking how Democrats would fight the war on terror and never got an answer.

Sorry, my quote made my post kind of confusing. I was supporting you, but my use of the word "you" was ambiguous and was referring to the other guy, not you. Sorry for that, I was saying I wanted him to give an example of how Bush was a divider and was agreeing with your post. Unfortunately I changed who I was talking to in the middle of my post. Sorry again for the misunderstanding.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    kat is right

spot on in fact
    kat is smarter than me. Thanks.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    Sorry, my quote made my post kind of confusing. I was supporting you, but my use of the word "you" was ambiguous and was referring to the other guy, not you. Sorry for that, I was saying I wanted him to give an example of how Bush was a divider and was agreeing with your post. Unfortunately I changed who I was talking to in the middle of my post. Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

no problem!
  • vedhead19vedhead19 Posts: 89
    My greatest concern is that fucking ass clown Bush is going to be office for two more years!
    are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?

can't escape from the common rule if you hate something, don't you do it too

• globalization, as with any other country.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • What do you think the government is?

Corporation, noun:

1. A body that is granted a charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity having its own rights, privileges, and liabilities distinct from those of its members.
    2. Such a body created for purposes of government.
    3. A group of people combined into or acting as one body.

Our government is supposed to represent it's people. The corporations Commy is speaking of only represent themselves and their profit. Our govt should represent us (as a whole) over representing the profits of these corporations.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • sonicreducersonicreducer Posts: 713
    the greatest average american concern is who won american idol,...
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • the greatest average american concern is who won american idol,...

and therein lies the rub.

-Oscar Wilde
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    So...unless your view is that capitalism is evil (not a mainstream view)...the parties are further apart today than they have been in 80 years. I'm not trying to wage a personal attack here, but only people on either one of the fringes can't see a difference between today's Reps and Dems.

Would the over half of the United States public that does not vote be considered "fringe"? They actually represent the majority...and granted they don't all see it as a one party system, but the majority choose not to vote because they feel that they really don't have a choice...

And you have an opinion...calling us the fringe-yet those of us on the "fringe" happen to back our opinion with facts-details you have seem to have left out of your post.

Not a personal attack here either...just saying...
    Commy wrote:
    Would the over half of the United States public that does not vote be considered "fringe"? They actually represent the majority...and granted they don't all see it as a one party system, but the majority choose not to vote because they feel that they really don't have a choice...

And you have an opinion...calling us the fringe-yet those of us on the "fringe" happen to back our opinion with facts-details you have seem to have left out of your post.

Not a personal attack here either...just saying...

The half of the population that does not vote are completely clueless to politics. Years of public opinion data backs this up. I didn't think I needed to cite sources because it seemed so obvious...but check out The American Voter, the origins of public opinion (Zaller 1993) and every other scholarly book ever written on public opinion.

I refer to the opinions expressed here as the fringe because they are. Perhaps "fringe" is a negative word but do you honestly think that the opinions expressed here are representative of the voting population as a whole? This is what I mean by fringe. It can be tedious to start a discussion on why the self-loathing world view of the Zinnions or Air America are not accepted by most voters. And no, it's not because of a lack of a desire to know the "truth." So, to avoid this never ending rhetorical discussion, I refer to fringe opinions as just that.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    The half of the population that does not vote are completely clueless to politics. Years of public opinion data backs this up. I didn't think I needed to cite sources because it seemed so obvious...but check out The American Voter, the origins of public opinion (Zaller 1993) and every other scholarly book ever written on public opinion.

I refer to the opinions expressed here as the fringe because they are. Perhaps "fringe" is a negative word but do you honestly think that the opinions expressed here are representative of the voting population as a whole? This is what I mean by fringe. It can be tedious to start a discussion on why the self-loathing world view of the Zinnions or Air America are not accepted by most voters. And no, it's not because of a lack of a desire to know the "truth." So, to avoid this never ending rhetorical discussion, I refer to fringe opinions as just that.

Call us what you will...

we're getting off topic anyway....

You claimed the biggest threat to America were the idividuals who don't believe there is difference between the democratic and republican parties...

And that statement might be true...but in inconsequential ways...

The overall affect of voting a Democrat or Republican into office has no affect on the important issues..things that matter, that affect us and others. Things like foreign policy-a major concern for much of the world, and many Americans too. Things like social spending, the environment, education, health care...all of these things are issues AMericans care about...yet whomever they vote into office will still cater to industry and the corporate class.

Again, a country is democratic to the extent the people have meaningful participation in the decision making process, in this case here in the US that amounts to none at all.

A voter should be able to check a box and have that affect their lives in some way-positively. THey should be given the oportunity for representation-that isn't happening. Democrat, Republican, it doesn't matter...they will both maintain the status quo...catering to the institutions that put them in power. Is the nature of authority...Machiavelli was very insightfut.