So Turkey wants to do what Isreal is doing..........lol

truroutetruroute Posts: 251
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/world/15068976.htm

Turkey calls for action
Officials say they will send troops into Iraq unless the U.S. and Iraq act against Kurds.
The Associated Press

ANKARA, Turkey | - Turkish officials signaled Tuesday that they are prepared to send the army into northern Iraq if U.S. and Iraqi forces do not take steps to combat Turkish Kurdish guerrillas.

American officials, including Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, have repeatedly warned Turkey against entering northern Iraq, one of the few stable areas of the country.

Turkey is facing increasing domestic pressure to act after 15 soldiers, police and guards were killed fighting the guerrillas in southeastern Turkey in the last week.

“The government is really in a bind,” said Seyfi Tashan, director of the Foreign Policy Institute at Bilkent University in Ankara. “On the one hand, they don’t want things to break down with the United States. On the other hand, the public is crying for action.”

Diplomats and experts cautioned the increasingly aggressive Turkish statements were likely aimed at calming public anger and pressing the United States and Iraq to act against the Turkish Kurdish guerrillas. But they also said that Turkish politicians and military officers could act if nothing is done.

U.S. officials in Turkey and Washington were in contact with Turkish officials and military commanders to press them to work with Washington to combat the guerrillas and not to act alone, a Western diplomat said.

Turkey’s NTV television and the Hurriyet newspaper reported that the government has told the military to draw up plans for a push into northern Iraq, and to advise on the possibilities that such an incursion could lead to a clash with Iraqi Kurds or U.S. troops.

Any operation was unlikely before the end of August, when the military chief of staff is replaced, NTV said.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    What is good for the US and Israel should be good for everybody else on the planet.

Preemptive what?
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    Turkey has been asking America's help for the last 15 years to combat terrorism in the southeastern part of the country that borders Iraq. The USA has done nothing, have not even sent in "experts" to help them figure out the best way to deter the terrorists. They let the USA use their air space to attack Iraq, they have every right to go in and clean house. The US is clearly not going to stir anything up in the Kurdish piece of Iraq.
  • I think they were worried a while ago when there was talk of splitting the country into three parts, shia, sunni and kurd - Turkey was thinking this would somehow disrupt the southeast corner of their country.
    Now, that idea is mostly off the table, as far as I know...
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    Turkey has been asking America's help for the last 15 years to combat terrorism in the southeastern part of the country that borders Iraq. The USA has done nothing, have not even sent in "experts" to help them figure out the best way to deter the terrorists. They let the USA use their air space to attack Iraq, they have every right to go in and clean house. The US is clearly not going to stir anything up in the Kurdish piece of Iraq.
    the use of the words "Kurdish terrorism" underlines how much you can use the word terrorism for your own convenience...
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

well more fool ankara for sucking up to washington, thinking that they would honestly give a toss about anything but their own agenda.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • well more fool ankara for sucking up to washington, thinking that they would honestly give a toss about anything but their own agenda.
    The EU won't put up with em, so...trying to find somebody.
  • EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    The EU won't put up with em, so...trying to find somebody.

The EU won't add them, because their population would instantly make them one of the biggest political power brokers in the EU.
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Aw screw this..now it's just turning into a sideshow... what an orchestrated and premeditated joke...

Can anyone else see through this?
  • truroutetruroute Posts: 251
    Just do some reasearch on the Kurdish. they want their own country. Turkey does nothing but oppress them any way they can. No one hears about it, but Turkey bombs the fuck outta them (before Iraq anyways). I seen w/ my own eye turkish f-16s taking off loaded to the hilt w/ bombs and coming back at end of day empty. And no, they werent practicing.

Its a delicate balance w/ US, Iraq, the Kurds when i comes to Turkey. They're an ally, we cant simply say, " hey kurds, you take the north of Iraq" cause it'll piss off the Turks and we dont need any more crap over there right now.

And to the person who said Turkey allowed thier airspace for the invasion of Iraq...you dont know what you're talking about. They specifically said no. They even went so far as to arrest an aircrew when they made an emergency landing after being shotup during the beginning of Iraq.
    But my point in posting this was that Good ol' Isreal has set a fine example right now. Going after Hezbollah and thier kidnapped troops I support... but bombing cities and town full of civilians that have no part in Hezbullah is crap, and our gov't should at least issue some harsh words or something.................
    I really hate to admit this but, this whole war thing could all work out and look very excellent on paper in a US gov't office.

I'll definitely give them that.

However it's not a paper world...and people don't erase quite the same with those pink rubber thingies...
    I really hate to admit this but, this whole war thing could all work out and look very excellent on paper in a US gov't office.

how so?
    truroute wrote:
    how so?

Ikes...another tough question just when my fingers are giving out.

Well, I see it as the US finally got their foot in the door. They're now in, and it's game on.

Now they can play country after country in that region back and forth to get at what they finally want or are hoping to achieve in theory. We could very well see a whole new order in the middle east, however the rest of the world will probably be freaking out long before that. The whole region is now under a magnifying glass and getting the attention it "deserves" ugh...makes me sick to say that really.

The Iraq war is fading away almost now. The ol bait and switch routine. They could never accomplish this type of meddling from overseas. Now they can. So what they set out to do on paper is actually happening just the way they want it to, and they are just watching it now. Time to sit back and make deal after deal. The US gov't and war machine is ruthless and sinister at this.

They wanted control of the middle East, and they are now in a position to get it. However are people (societies) that predictable? time will tell. perhaps lots and lots of time...maybe too much time in fact. If their gonna ramrod the American phallus throough the heart of that region they better have the cheeks to crash through to the other side for the money shot :D

I need a break I'm going crosseyed...
  • I read this earlier. Two things:

1) The Turks DO NOT get along with certain sects of the neighboring coutries. 2) And do note this, the Turk army is a fucking joke. These guys jumped in the game late. They are the Eur-asian version of Switzerland, or your common playground pussy. They wait for the dominoes to fall, then choose sides. Fucking gutless. The Swiss are still paying Jews back for the art they warehoused for the Nazis. You will hear similar stories about the Turks in 10 years.
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Aw screw this..now it's just turning into a sideshow... what an orchestrated and premeditated joke...

Can anyone else see through this?

only you and a select few have "the vision". ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • truroute wrote:
    Its a delicate balance w/ US, Iraq, the Kurds when it comes to Turkey.

that's why we're allies really...strategically positioned between Europe and the middle east...I'd expect a lot of "diplomatic" efforts with them soon so to be able to use airspace and things like that...

But at the same time, I do believe Turkey is strange demographically...I think they're the country with the highest percentage of its people living in one city (Istanbul) which, for all intents and purposes...is in Europe. The whole eastern part of the country excepting Ankara is really quite empty population wise...for the most part...relatively
  • danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    that's why we're allies really...strategically positioned between Europe and the middle east...I'd expect a lot of "diplomatic" efforts with them soon so to be able to use airspace and things like that...

But at the same time, I do believe Turkey is strange demographically...I think they're the country with the highest percentage of its people living in one city (Istanbul) which, for all intents and purposes...is in Europe. The whole eastern part of the country excepting Ankara is really quite empty population wise...for the most part...relatively

Turkish airspace has been used for years by Nato.

Turkey plays a very difficult balancing act. It is a secular, Muslim country. But is politically allied with Nato and the western powers. Hence the need for anything Turkey does in aiding the Western imperialists to be kept quiet and below the radar.

Did you know that Turkey's air force, throughtout the nineties, had preference over air space over Northern Iraq? When the turks wnet up, the US and British fighters / bombers had to stand down and let the turks continue their assault, their genocide, upon the Kurds.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!