keep burning those flags

2»

Comments

• Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    moeaholic wrote:
    ok, i can see that. but as it was said earlier in this thread, i think that message would come across better if you burned a picture of the president.

again, just my opinion.
    Well burning a picture is singling out one person. The problem here is it's an entire administration, the majority of congress and the majority of the supreme court.....I believe flag burning to be quite appropriate. Now I've never burned a flag and I don't have plans to but I certainly can't say that I won't.

One thought I had about this whole flag burning bullshit is that I'd bet my life on the fact that had it passed, there'd be a whole lotta flags being burned today. It would probably be the breaking point....I'd have to go burn a flag, legal or illegal, I'd do it and I bet there are lots that would do the same. It's a bit ironic, but the fact that this ridiculous ammendment got shot down makes me feel less like burning a flag anyway.
    Commy wrote:
    The idea of flag burning is to show discontent with the government, not the country. So you could say they are being more patriotic than those who aren't burning the flags, because they are acting on behalf of their country, are actually motivated enough and care enough about something to get off their asses and do something.
    Amen brother. Flag burning is patriotic. Taking away someone's right to protest and show their disdain for their corrupt leaders....now unpatriotic. All those fucking neocons trying to take away our rights in the name of patriotism.....I mean really. The goddamn thing is called the Patriot Act. You've got to be fucking kidding me. Someone please tell me what's patriotic about stealing and violating our civil rights. Anyone, please show me that patriotism in that bullshit.
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    I'm gonna go burn a flag....which is far more human than your post.

wow, you're such a better person than i could ever be. congrats on that, douche.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • hailhailkc wrote:
    That's fine if it's legal. I don't really have a problem with it being legal. I'll just never participate in it. However, like abortion, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it WAS made illegal.

I do think lines have to be drawn somewhere though. For instance, I don't think "freedom" entails that a man should be allowed to have cosensual (sp?) sex with a 12 year old boy. And I'm not equating flag burning to that example, I'm just saying...freedom is subjective up until the point of what I would describe as "common sense".
    You're missing the point though. There are more important things going on that need to be addressed than whether or not someone burns a flag..or cuts a hole in it and sticks their head through it ala Republican kiss-ass Kid Rock. There are more important issues than whether gay marriage should be abolished nationwide. These guys want to amend the Constitution and Bill of Rights on these issues. Why? To suck the cock of their base. That's why. Otherwise, they DON'T CARE. It's all about getting re-elected in 06.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • miller8966 wrote:
    Yea thats very true, its very disrespectful. But remember its ok to be disrespectful to anything conservative in america.
    Last I checked, the flag represents all Americans, not just the crazy ones.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Brink wrote:
    You're missing the point though. There are more important things going on that need to be addressed than whether or not someone burns a flag..or cuts a hole in it and sticks their head through it ala Republican kiss-ass Kid Rock. There are more important issues than whether gay marriage should be abolished nationwide. These guys want to amend the Constitution and Bill of Rights on these issues. Why? To suck the cock of their base. That's why. Otherwise, they DON'T CARE. It's all about getting re-elected in 06.

Exactly. We have 2500 dead in Iraq, couldn't they be doing something a little more productive than a flag burning amendment (sp)?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Brink wrote:
    Last I checked, the flag represents all Americans, not just the crazy ones.

zing!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    moeaholic wrote:
    wow, you're such a better person than i could ever be. congrats on that, douche.
    Well, the thread is about burning a flag, not enjoying the burning of an Iraninan....like your post charactarizes you of.
  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    zing!

Theres a plan for them to be
  • LazLaz Posts: 118
    is burning books illegal?
    Exactly. We have 2500 dead in Iraq, couldn't they be doing something a little more productive than a flag burning amendment (sp)?

Plus up to 43,140 dead civilians according to http://iraqbodycount.org

I agree with an earlier post that obviously this issue shouldn't be discussed at this time and the only reason it did manage to waste two days in congress is because of the upcoming mid-term elections and trying to rally the ignorant jingoes and nationalists and get re-elected. It's disgusting.
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    Well, the thread is about burning a flag, not enjoying the burning of an Iraninan....like your post charactarizes you of.

if the guy was canadian, italian, irish, chinese, loatian, australian, american, whatever...i'd still feel the same way. i'm not taking joy in a human being hurt, i'm laughing at the fact that he's a stupid asshole that didn't bother to wipe lighter fluid off his arm before he decided to light my flag up. as far as i'm concerned, it serves him right.

and you know what, i take back calling you a douche. i just don't like being called the equivilant of "inhuman". obviously this subject sits differently with me than you.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
    moeaholic wrote:
    if the guy was canadian, italian, irish, chinese, loatian, australian, american, whatever...i'd still feel the same way. i'm not taking joy in a human being hurt, i'm laughing at the fact that he's a stupid asshole that didn't bother to wipe lighter fluid off his arm before he decided to light my flag up. as far as i'm concerned, it serves him right.

and you know what, i take back calling you a douche. i just don't like being called the equivilant of "inhuman". obviously this subject sits differently with me than you.
    My mistake....I read your post as if it were racially motivated. I apologize.