Anyone watching the World Cup?

LazLaz Posts: 118
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
I am, just wondering if anyone else was...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Most definitely. My DVR has come quite in handy. Now that the US is out I can just enjoy the games and not care who wins. Although it would be nice to see Germany win.
  • LazLaz Posts: 118
    I think Germany will take it... I had hopes in Mexico but once again they disappointed...
  • MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    gabers wrote:
    Most definitely. My DVR has come quite in handy. Now that the US is out I can just enjoy the games and not care who wins. Although it would be nice to see Germany win.

haha! Yeah, I'm glad the yanks are out, sadly I still have to put up with those sucky american announcers, nevertheless what a world cup so far!

Brasil/France is gonna be great,
    MrBrian wrote:
    haha! Yeah, I'm glad the yanks are out, sadly I still have to put up with those sucky american announcers,

They make me glad I can speak Spanish, the guys on Univision are far better than the ESPN crew...
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    No, its a boring-ass sport. Sorry. My opinion and all that.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    Laz wrote:
    They make me glad I can speak Spanish, the guys on Univision are far better than the ESPN crew...

I'm also spanish speaking, my old mans from spain.

But I can't get myself to watch univision, it's an insult to spanish people.
    Don't you find those shows just soooo wrong?

nevertheless, I guess just for the soccer it should be alright. I'll give it a chance.

and reborn, dude, you gotta take that hockey stick outta your ass and watch brasil/france this weekend, it won't be a snooze fest.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    I've been watching it sparingly on weekends when I'm near a TV. I'm rooting for England.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    MrBrian wrote:
    But I can't get myself to watch univision, it's an insult to spanish people.
    Don't you find those shows just soooo wrong?

I know most of the shows on there are utter trash, but I just watch soccer on the station. I didn't say the announcers are Emmy material, they're not. It hasn't been the same since Andres Cantor left...

hey know1, like the Crowder quote...
  • yuglwekyuglwek Posts: 13
    I watch most of the matches, i have exams now :)

Too bad Holland is out :(

My fav. team now is England.

But Argentina is great too.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Its all about Brazil now...maybe France.

I've actually been waking up at 8 am to catch some of these games. I haven't been awake that early in a long time. So yeah I'm watching the World Cup.

Here's my conspiracy theory on the lack of network coverageof the world cup. Soccer is a sport not dominated by Americans, so the networks don't market or cover it at all. Granted, you could say Americans aren't interested, but the major networks could turn a pick-up game between two shit ass football teams and market it to be the greatest game ever played and millions would watch. They create the want, the television marketing. So, since the US sucks at soccer the networks don't want us Americans watching our team get the shit kicked out of them, so they shove it to the side and cover one of 5000 baseball games being played for like an hour, and devote 30 seconds to world cup highlights. Despite the fact that it is the most popular sport in the world, and the fact that many Americans are interested in the World Cup. That's my take.

I love soccer, play twice a week.
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    Commy wrote:

I've actually been waking up at 8 am to catch some of these games. I haven't been awake that early in a long time. So yeah I'm watching the World Cup.

Here's my conspiracy theory on the lack of network coverageof the world cup. Soccer is a sport not dominated by Americans, so the networks don't market or cover it at all. Granted, you could say Americans aren't interested, but the major networks could turn a pick-up game between two shit ass football teams and market it to be the greatest game ever played and millions would watch. They create the want, the television marketing. So, since the US sucks at soccer the networks don't want us Americans watching our team get the shit kicked out of them, so they shove it to the side and cover one of 5000 baseball games being played for like an hour, and devote 30 seconds to world cup highlights. Despite the fact that it is the most popular sport in the world, and the fact that many Americans are interested in the World Cup. That's my take.

i've been watching world cup sparingly, but if there's a baseball game on i'll watch that instead.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    Commy wrote:

Most americans hate soccer, so why should we broadcast it? Baseball and real football are 10 x better.

If you like soccer so much stop bitching and go move to some third world country...try canada
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
    moeaholic wrote:
    i've been watching world cup sparingly, but if there's a baseball game on i'll watch that instead.
    I can't stand baseball...i'd rather have someone shoot me...in the arm or someplace non lethal-still baseball has like 150 games a year and there's something like 100 teams. The World Cup is once every 4 years...but they still devote more coverage to 1 meaningless baseball game than they do the quarter finals of the World Cup.
    miller8966 wrote:
    Most americans hate soccer, so why should we broadcast it? Baseball and real football are 10 x better.

If you like soccer so much stop bitching and go move to some third world country...try canada

Canada..a third world country. thats actually funny...

Most Americans hate George Bush, so why don't all the supporters pack up and leave...practice what you preach, you know?
    Commy wrote:
    I can't stand baseball...i'd rather have someone shoot me...in the arm or someplace non lethal-still baseball has like 150 games a year and there's something like 100 teams. The World Cup is once every 4 years...but they still devote more coverage to 1 meaningless baseball game than they do the quarter finals of the World Cup.

If i went to England and complained about this soccer shit when the yankee game was on id be laughed out of the Pub. Same thing here in america, except the reverse is true.
    miller8966 wrote:
    If i went to England and complained about this soccer shit when the yankee game was on id be laughed out of the Pub. Same thing here in america, except the reverse is true.
    If baseball were the world's most popular sport and they only had the championship tournament every 4 years, your analogy might apply in this case.
    Commy wrote:
    If baseball were the world's most popular sport and they only had the championship tournament every 4 years, your analogy might apply in this case.

They play it on Espn and ABC..why run it 24/7 when no one is going to watch it?
    miller8966 wrote:
    They play it on Espn and ABC..why run it 24/7 when no one is going to watch it?
    Marketing miller, its all about marketing. There's no hype on tv, no money spent on advertising. They don't care about it so the impression that Americans don't care is given, while that migh tnot necessarily be true.
    one thing i really can't stand about the world cup so far....the logo. i don't like logo's smiling and winking at me. it's creepy.
    ~Michael Bolton
    moeaholic wrote:
    one thing i really can't stand about the world cup so far....the logo. i don't like logo's smiling and winking at me. it's creepy.

might not want to watch then...just an idea.
    Commy wrote:
    might not want to watch then...just an idea.

well like i said, i've watched a bit. it's not bad...i just enjoy baseball more. i have to admit though, if the US were still in, i'd be watching more.

too bad they couldn't have played at the same time the spelling bee was being broadcast by espn. that one i'll never understand, no matter what anyone says. spelling bees are not athletic competitions. and the same goes for the scrabble tournament they show.
    ~Michael Bolton
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    know1 wrote:
    I've been watching it sparingly on weekends when I'm near a TV. I'm rooting for England.

Good call dude! Although unless England crank up their game a few notches they'll be on their way back home soon. We certainly can beat any team in the world on our day - see our last game against Argentina where we scored two goals in the last 5 minutes to beat them in a classic encounter. I think we'll beat Portugal on Saturday and then it's either Brazil or France. I have a feeling that we're gonna get to the final against Italy. I had this feeling about 2 weeks ago before I even knew the schedule and it's looking quite likely now.
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    off course i do;);):):)