The Greatest American Concern

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
I'm curious to know what others see as the single greatest concern in the US right now...

Is it environment?
Terrorism?
Disease?
Economy?
Poverty?
???

...and reasons why.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The ever expanding powers of government and the culture of entitlement. Together and unchecked, those two factors will destroy the greatest nation in world history and much of the world with it.
  • polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    apathy
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    getting high or laid..
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    The environment (global warming) is easily the highest concern, IMO.
  • PrlGrl23PrlGrl23 Posts: 22
    Wow! That's a tough one. I'm concerned about a lot of things because I have kids.
    The government, because the more corrupt it becoes, the more corrupt the american people become
    The Environment... mother nature is already trying to tell us something, air quality gets worse every year, and global warming is out of control.
    Disease... there's a new one every 2 months, and they all kill you
    Terrorism... just goes back to the government, no one knows how to handle it, or how to prevent it, so they came up with a color system to fake us out.

So yeah, I'm concerned about a lot of things. I'm afraid to even think about the state of the world for my little girls to grow up in... It's scary.
    ~The ocean is full 'cause everyone's crying~

One great big festering neon distraction,
    Ive a suggestion to keep you all occupied.
    Learn to swim.

http://www.myspace.com/wrinkle_in_time
    http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/prlgrl23/
  • The biggest problem this country faces is the onslaught of the homosexual swinging nudists who want to raise children and marry.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    The biggest problem this country faces is the onslaught of the homosexual multiculturalism believing swinging nudists who want to raise children and marry.
    Wait. I thought they were only the biggest threat to this board. I'm so confused now that I'm going home to drink beer.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    corporate control of gov't.
  • Commy wrote:
    corporate control of gov't.

What do you think the government is?

Corporation, noun:

1. A body that is granted a charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity having its own rights, privileges, and liabilities distinct from those of its members.
    2. Such a body created for purposes of government.
    3. A group of people combined into or acting as one body.
  • surferdude wrote:
    Wait. I thought they were only the biggest threat to this board. I'm so confused now that I'm going home to drink beer.

Editing my post in your quote without acknowledgement? For shame.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Editing my post in your quote without acknowledgement? For shame.
    This stupid board doesn't let you bold stuff to signify a change. It's not like I put anything bad in the quote though.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    the greatest concern in america is still the bush administration. not only bush, but the people around him. not to mention congress and the u.s. military commanders.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • worldworld Posts: 266
    My greatest concern:

People that think that Democrats are different from Republicans.
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    polaris wrote:
    apathy

^^^ this nailed it on the head. all the things the original poster mentioned are concerns, but the public's apathy is the biggest of all.
  • CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    working on solving all of those problems: multi tasking.
    I need to finish writing.
  • As far as long term concerns go (not within the next 2 years that Bush has left as President) my biggest concern involves families. I think so many of today's problems could be solved by creating stronger family units. I'm not talking about christian family makeups or anything like that. What concerns me is the number of single-parent families that exist nowadays, and the reason for my concern lies in how the absence of a parent, usually the father, affects children. If you sit down and think about troubled youths, what comes to mind? For me the consequences include child suicide, high school dropouts, mental distress/depression leading to hospitalization, youth violence leading to incarceration, chemical abuse, etc. I think it would be hard to argue that any of these are desirable, and I believe these consequences lead to so many of the problems we see today in the world and especially our country. Granted, the majority of children grow up in traditional families but for me, being in a family, it seems as though the public opinion on what family entails has changed. Some people on the far left (a minority) argue that men are unnecessary in raising children, and while this opinion is far and away the minority opinion, I feel that somehow the importance of the family as a unit has been overlooked a bit in recent years. I am in no way pushing for male dominance within the family, but I am arguing that it's impossible to deny the influence that a father's presence has on his children. It doesn't matter to me who in a family is dominant because I personally believe raising a family and children is a completely joint effort, which means BOTH parties must be present. Over 25 million children in the United States grow up without a father. They just are never around. My own father was one those children. But the statistics are appalling. According to the Bureau of Cencus, these approximately 25 million fatherless children make up 63% of teen suicides, 70% percent of juveniles in state-operated institutions, 71% of high school dropouts, 75% of children in chemical-abuse centers, 80% of rapists, 85% of youths in prisons, 85% of children with behavioral disorders, and 90% of homeless or runaway children.

I know that this may not concern most of you as much as the Bush administration or global warming, but it scares me. In this country we have close to a third of all children growing up without intact families, and whether you agree or not with the values that certain families pass on, families in which both parents are around are more successful in having their children COMPLETE and education (more educated children lead to a better overall society) and become well integrated into society as adults. It doesn't matter if your child grows up to be a millionaire or life-time waiter, if they grow up with both of their parents present, they are statistcally much more likely to become citizens to CONTRIBUTE to society, rather than hinder it. The reason I have focused on men and fathers here is not because I think they are any more important in families than women are, because they are not. I believe a family cannot work unless all parties share equal priveledge and responsibility, just as I view this country. But unfortunately, it is usually fathers who abandon their children, leaving mothers struggling to turn to other family members, churches, schools, etc. to help raise their children, and the statistics SEEM to argue that these mothers are already put at a disadvantage by having the father absent. I'm sure the same would be true if mothers abandoned their children, leaving them to be raised solely by fathers, but that simply isn't how it happens most of the time. The issue isn't a race one for me or a problem between conservatives and liberals, it boils down to a family issue. You all may not agree, and I apologize for my very long post, but this is what concerns me. I think many of the countries problems can be avoided by aiding the third of the child population that grows up in single-parent homes. Remember, that third of the child population will one day be one third of the adult population, and they will be voting to make decisions that affect us all.
  • steriods.

what did Neil say on the new record...
    thank God they're cracking down on steroids,

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    The biggest problem this country faces is the onslaught of the homosexual swinging nudists who want to raise children and marry.
    laughing my ass off.
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
    What do you think the government is?

Corporation, noun:

1. A body that is granted a charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity having its own rights, privileges, and liabilities distinct from those of its members.
    2. Such a body created for purposes of government.
    3. A group of people combined into or acting as one body.

When was the last time you heard someone refer to the US gov't as a corporation? I know they can be indistinguishable at times, but seriously..

you knew where I was going with that...
  • Commy wrote:
    When was the last time you heard someone refer to the US gov't as a corporation? I know they can be indistinguishable at times, but seriously..

I don't really let the references of others control the way I see things.
    you knew where I was going with that...

Yes I did.
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    world wrote:
    My greatest concern:

People that think that Democrats are different from Republicans.

my greatest concern is that people that don't think there IS a difference between the two parties actually come to power someday.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    my greatest concern is that people that don't think there IS a difference between the two parties actually come to power someday.

That guy was Bush if you believed his lies -- "I'm a uniter". Hate to burst your bubble but you've been bamboozled, dumbfuck.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    That guy was Bush if you believed his lies -- "I'm a uniter". Hate to burst your bubble but you've been bamboozled, dumbfuck.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Bush hasn't divided anything, he's a pretty liberal Republican...which I can get in line with. But if you think he's a divider, you don't know much about political science. Clearly the parties in the electorate are divided, and Democrats would view ANY Republican President as a divider...

If you compare Bush to other Republicans in government and Republican voters....it's simple, he's a moderate, and obviously NOT a "polarizing" figure.

best regards,
    dumbfuck
  • RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    Hate to burst your bubble, but Bush hasn't divided anything, he's a pretty liberal Republican...which I can get in line with. But if you think he's a divider, you don't know much about political science. Clearly the parties in the electorate are divided, and Democrats would view ANY Republican President as a divider...

If you compare Bush to other Republicans in government and Republican voters....it's simple, he's a moderate, and obviously NOT a "polarizing" figure.

best regards,
    dumbfuck

Wow, those blinders must help you sleep all day long. Bush is not a divider -- try again you limpdick sheep. LOL, you truly are a dumbshit.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    Wow, those blinders must help you sleep all day long. Bush is not a divider -- try again you limpdick sheep. LOL, you truly are a dumbshit.

can you give an exampe of why he's a divider? or a true conservative for that matter? can you tell me how he is more conservative than JFK? Can you tell me where he stands ideologically in realation to Republican governors and Republicans in Congress? Or where he stands in relation to most Republican voters?

If the two parties are any different foreign policy would have changed in the last 60 years. Its hasn't, that should tell you something. And gov't, whether dem or rep, has been handing out tax dollars to corporations-giving away as many dollars to corporations as they spend on social services-again, a constant policy, regardless of the party in power.

There's doves and hawks... but they have the same agendas. Doves would prefer to let a country's army overthrow the popular elected leaders to replace them with a US puppet, while the hawks prefer outright invasion. Either way the goal is conquest. And you have doves and hawks labelled democrat or republican.

Its not a 2 party system...its a corporate party running gov't, and the people have no meaningful say in gov't policy, the idea of the policy makers from the beginning. If a country is democratic to the extent that the people have meaningful participation in the decision making process-which is true-then the United States can in no way be considered a democracy. And if you have a one party system they have a name for that-its called fascism.
    Commy wrote:
    If the two parties are any different foreign policy would have changed in the last 60 years. Its hasn't, that should tell you something. And gov't, whether dem or rep, has been handing out tax dollars to corporations-giving away as many dollars to corporations as they spend on social services-again, a constant policy, regardless of the party in power.

There's doves and hawks... but they have the same agendas. Doves would prefer to let a country's army overthrow the popular elected leaders to replace them with a US puppet, while the hawks prefer outright invasion. Either way the goal is conquest. And you have doves and hawks labelled democrat or republican.

Its not a 2 party system...its a corporate party running gov't, and the people have no meaningful say in gov't policy, the idea of the policy makers from the beginning. If a country is democratic to the extent that the people have meaningful participation in the decision making process-which is true-then the United States can in no way be considered a democracy. And if you have a one party system they have a name for that-its called fascism.

So...unless your view is that capitalism is evil (not a mainstream view)...the parties are further apart today than they have been in 80 years. I'm not trying to wage a personal attack here, but only people on either one of the fringes can't see a difference between today's Reps and Dems.
  • can you give an exampe of why he's a divider? or a true conservative for that matter? can you tell me how he is more conservative than JFK? Can you tell me where he stands ideologically in realation to Republican governors and Republicans in Congress? Or where he stands in relation to most Republican voters?

I would like this. In all the posts I've seen you make in the past couple of days, I've yet to see you actually respond to ONE post without solely bashing their point of view. I don't know how old you are, but I can tell you that you will not get very far in life at all if that is the only thing you. Seriously, be mature for a change and respond to his question, don't just call him some "Right wing zealot" or something like that (I'm not saying thats what that guy is).
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    1. Lack of individual responsibility and the tendency to blame others for one's situation

2. Laziness
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    know1 wrote:
    1. Lack of individual responsibility and the tendency to blame others for one's situation

2. Laziness

isn't that silly.. I can see where you blame these things for some of the wrongs in the world....

But surely even you'd prefer that oppression and starvation were conquered even at the cost of our having to deal with lazy people.