I just feel like starting a Jeff Buckley Thread

luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Grace was a sort of personnal Christmas album this year. I was listening to it during my work, in the car and at home. It was almost everwhere.
Yesterday while I was driving home from work I had a lot of questions in my head about this amazing artist. Why isn't this album known as one off the best albums in the 90's,why do people always just talk about Hallelujah when he sung songs like Lilac Wine, Lover you should have..., Eternal Life... why did someone who made such great, intelligent, powerfull music died in such a dumb way?
If there's anyone out there who wants to talk about Jeff Buckley...do it here.
Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeff Buckley is, obviously, a legend.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • luxpjamer wrote:
    Grace was a sort of personnal Christmas album this year. I was listening to it during my work, in the car and at home. It was almost everwhere.
    Yesterday while I was driving home from work I had a lot of questions in my head about this amazing artist. Why isn't this album known as one off the best albums in the 90's,why do people always just talk about Hallelujah when he sung songs like Lilac Wine, Lover you should have..., Eternal Life... why did someone who made such great, intelligent, powerfull music died in such a dumb way?
    If there's anyone out there who wants to talk about Jeff Buckley...do it here.

jeff buckley was awesome!
    though i go through phases of listening to his stuff then i dont touch it for months, but yes, amazing!
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Grace is in my top ten albums and it will always be... I was lucky enough to see him in 1995. Awesome performance. Lover you should have come over is my favorite. I've also listened to this album quite much during the past tow weeks..
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I ended up with a really cool pic of him by mistake. I'll send it to the first person to pm me their address. :) I didn't know what to do with it, so when I saw this thread I just thought of this. :D
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Julien wrote:
    Grace is in my top ten albums and it will always be... I was lucky enough to see him in 1995. Awesome performance. Lover you should have come over is my favorite. I've also listened to this album quite much during the past tow weeks..

I have "mystery white boy ", great life album. He was a great musician.
    I just read that there's a BIOPIC (I hate that word) is planned
    http://www.jeffbuckley.com/news.asp?id=85
    luxpjamer wrote:
    I have "mystery white boy ", great life album. He was a great musician.
    I just read that there's a BIOPIC (I hate that word) is planned
    http://www.jeffbuckley.com/news.asp?id=85
    yes, I alos have thi slive album. great.
    I didn't know they were writing a book... why not?
  • Julien wrote:
    yes, I alos have thi slive album. great.
    I didn't know they were writing a book... why not?

I think lux means a film :o
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

I think lux means a film :o
    ah, ok... I didn't know the word BIOPIC.... but now taht you say it's a film, it's logic, because of "PIC" in the word.. sometimes I'm stupid :D
  • lover you should've come over, what a song raise a glass to jeff
  • Julien wrote:
    ah, ok... I didn't know the word BIOPIC.... but now taht you say it's a film, it's logic, because of "PIC" in the word.. sometimes I'm stupid :D

No worries, I added the :o so as to appear sensitive.. because I usually would've made a sarcastic and derogatory comment like 'Duh!' but you seemed alright :D

No worries, I added the :o so as to appear sensitive.. because I usually would've made a sarcastic and derogatory comment like 'Duh!' but you seemed alright :D
    no problem, i didn't take your comment as negative
  • I just got So Real: Songs from Jeff Buckley for Christmas. So many good songs on there.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Grace was recommended to me by a friend recently. I love it :)
    I can't believe I never listened to it before now.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • No artist has ever touched me the way Buckley has... (okay that kind of came out wrong).

Truly an amazing person.

Rest in peace.
  • "forget her" is also an amazing song. If you dont have grace already, get the "deluxe" version with the extra cd, the 2nd disc is great as well. And of course get sketches for my sweetheart the drunk...
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Buckley is probably my favorite artist of all time and Grace is my favorite album ever. IMO hes one of the most underrated and talented musicians there ever was. Morning Theft has got to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written.
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Yep, saw him live. Pity the fucker died, eh.
  • No artist has ever touched me the way Buckley has... (okay that kind of came out wrong).

do you want to talk about?

;)
  • Yep, saw him live. Pity the fucker died, eh.

Wow, that's amazing.

Lucky you.
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Jeff Buckley was amazing, it's such a shame he had such a small collection of songs compared to a lot of artists would love to have heard more.
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    Guy wrote some amazing music, the last months Dream Brother is a song a play very often and Grace never gets old, beautiful.
    your light's reflected now
  • NanouNanou Posts: 191
    I listened to Jeff Buckley in the 90's and his death came as a real shock. The shock is even greater now, almost 19 years after his death, because I'm even more aware what a musical genius he was, and how much the world lost the day he died.
    I didn't listen to his music in years, and started again recently. I'm discovering his music live. A live version of Dream Brother blew my mind and I kept on listening to it, thinking "why the hell didn't I go to one of his concerts in Paris?!". Big regret!
    I have just watched a documentary on HRT3 tonight, simply called Jeff Buckley - You and I (album), and it's the first time I have watched a documentary about him. Excellent! I'm happy for You and I as it will get more people (younger?) into his music.
    I especially appreciate my favourite artists expressing their love for his music and talking about Jeff, such as Eddie Vedder, Ben Harper and Chris Cornell. It warms my heart!
    Jeff Buckley once said: " You know, I don't really need to be remembered... I hope the music's remembered."
    It surely is, and so are you!
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    This album is a true diamond in the rough!
    People who know know!
    Great album thanks for posting I'm a big fan:)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

I found this article in the Glen Hansard appreciation thread, but it fits in this one too and I feel like continuing the Jeff Buckley thread, so... :wink:

theguardian.com/music/2016/mar/08/remembering-jeff-buckley-music-collaborators-you-and-i?CMP=twt_a-music_b-gdnmusic
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Wow, I need to see You and I. Was watching another documentary about him the other day, I hope this one is on yoo toobe as well.
    I never tire of his music. A friend of mine saw him live in Roskilde festival in 1995 and took a photo for me, I still have that photo inside one of my wardrobes.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
    You have a treasure in your wardrobe, bluegrace! Would you share it with us if you find it?
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Even though I had the album Grace for a good few years before I "got" it, Jeff and Grace have become to be the most influential music on my life when you just look at how the music has played a role in my life. Grace (especially the song Grace) has been the soundtrack to some of the hardest emotional work I've ever done in my life. Forever grateful for that music.

I'm also lucky to have seen him live, twice. Actually 3 times, but the very first time I don't remember at all, I just have friends who I was with who remember. He was unknown then, hadn't even moved to NYC yet, but he still stunned those present with the one song he sang.

The 2nd time I saw him I also met him, and honestly it was just like meeting the Sun, his light was so bright and he literally warmed you and made you feel like the center of the galaxy in those moments you spoke, Amazing presence, just indescribable.

I always thought if he and Eddie had ever met, they'd have at least 2 incredible things in common to talk about: their love and respect for Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan... and the fact that they each have phenomenal songs about their absent birth fathers.

This is Jeff's song about that (or one of them): What Will You Say (probably my 2nd most favorite song next to Grace, though it's so hard to pick!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWJyCcElm8
    Thank you so much for sharing your story, JH6056! You're lucky indeed!

"The 2nd time I saw him I also met him, and honestly it was just like meeting the Sun, his light was so bright and he literally warmed you and made you feel like the center of the galaxy in those moments you spoke, Amazing presence, just indescribable."

Wow! Just wow!

Eddie & Jeff did meet once. The quote below is from Jeff Buckley website.

Eddie Vedder (Monkeywrench Radio):

“Man I had this Guy with me once … and we were sittin’ down and talkin’ and jammin’… He played has version of Indifference for me… man I tell ya… I’ ll never forget the way He did it… I was just fuckin’ speechless… one of the most memorable moments of my life… I just wish I had seen him more.”

I would love to hear that version of Indifference. I'm sure it would be on repeat!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    There's a Glen Hansard boot where he talks about being on the road with Jeff. Apparently Jeff was a guitar tech for The Commitments when they went on tour.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited May 2016
    Nanou said:

Thank you so much for sharing your story, JH6056! You're lucky indeed!

"The 2nd time I saw him I also met him, and honestly it was just like meeting the Sun, his light was so bright and he literally warmed you and made you feel like the center of the galaxy in those moments you spoke, Amazing presence, just indescribable."

Wow! Just wow!

Eddie & Jeff did meet once. The quote below is from Jeff Buckley website.

Eddie Vedder (Monkeywrench Radio):

“Man I had this Guy with me once … and we were sittin’ down and talkin’ and jammin’… He played has version of Indifference for me… man I tell ya… I’ ll never forget the way He did it… I was just fuckin’ speechless… one of the most memorable moments of my life… I just wish I had seen him more.”

I would love to hear that version of Indifference. I'm sure it would be on repeat!

WOW, I never knew Ed met Jeff! I wish I could hear the rest of the story: the context, the conversation... wow again! And yes, HELL YES I would **love** to hear that version of Indifference!!! His take on covers was so incredible... would love to hear that!

Whenever I see a Jeff mention on this site, I think about how very different meeting each of them was for me. I first met Ed at a time when probably the LAST thing he wanted was to invite more fans into his personal orbit, (early '93) so even though he was totally gracious and actually engaged in conversation for awhile, he was maintaining a necessary boundary, probably for his sanity as well as his safety.

Jeff was already considered absurdly talented by those paying attention when I met him (it was '95-'96 New Year's Eve, Sin-e), but he hadn't had even close to the same outrageous explosion of fame and recognition that Ed had experienced, so even though a LOT of people realized Jeff was... he was legend already, he still hadn't had to deal with the level of pandemonium that I think Ed experienced. So Jeff could engage REALLY directly and warmly, plus he was in a familiar place with a lot of familiar people around that night (not me, I was a stranger but the show was "secret" so a LOT of his friends were there)("secret" in quotes because of course word spread and it was jam packed).

Ed also has a phenomenal presence. Truly amazing. And, he was also understandably guarded initially, which when I learned (from others, not Ed) more about what he'd been through in terms of confused fans, honestly it was impressive he didn't just go into the Witness Protection Program and drop out of sight completely! :) . Both Ed and Jeff are otherworldly talents, and both gracious and amazing humans..

This is from the New Year's Sin-e show I met Jeff at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcEmaTkPxd0
    Post edited by JH6056 on