Good Fan Favorite Albums That Were Overlooked By The Masses?

2»

Comments

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I love Wilco's first album, AM, but I guess there are a lot of fans who think of that one as a joke. I don't imagine the average person who was blown away by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is going to love the often cheesy lyrics and country sound - but I do!

Other than that - I don't know. When it comes down all I really care about is whether or not I like a particular.

Edit: Did I get this backwards? Oh well. I'm sure I'm not the only crazy Wilco fan who likes that album . . .
  • Blind Melon (Soup) already mentioned but one of my all time fav albums by any band

Weezer (Pinkerton)
    The Tragically Hip (Road Apples)
    The Doors (The soft parade)
    Cypress Hill (Temple of Boom)
    Cake (Fashion Nugget)
    Master of Zen
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Weezer (Pinkerton)
    +100

Warning: by Green Day also comes to mind.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    +100

Warning: by Green Day also comes to mind.

Yep....true...

forgot to mention the Album 39/smooth loved the song 16 and the Album Kerplunk...

and another one to note is The Offsprings first album...called (The Offspring) when they were kinda real punk
    Master of Zen
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Yeah Warning is my favorite Green Day album.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    ...and the lyrics on that album? Meh.....

I don't agree with that at all.
  • Nirvana - bleach

I'm in love with this album now.
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Good Call on the Alice Cooper album earlier.......

sometimes it takes many years for albums to become accepted. In 1972, the media overwhelmingly panned "Exile on Main Street".....and now today many consider it to be the best album ever released (Rolling Stones).
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    LongRd. wrote:

My list!

Angel Dust by Faith No More : Did not sell as much as The Real Thing but it showed a lot of the diverse musical influences FNM had from metal, hip-hop, jazz, electronic, etc.

I vote all FNM's albums after The Real Thing. Heck, for this performance alone -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQaTNzVkm8U

Who continues to sing like this when they fuck themselves up this bad? Seriously?

On a side note - I'm curious to hear Disturbed's cover of Midlife Crisis on their new album. I hope they do it justice although nothing could top the original. That album is a classic.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    great call. this one got totally swept under the rug because of Scott's issues @ the time
    i remember when this came out... i remember it being called STP's comeback album. i thought "Down", "Sour Girl" and "No Way Out" did quite well on radio and MTV.
  • VMGACgVMGACg Posts: 135
    Weezer - Pinkerton

Their Masterpiece
    I am questioning my education
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Thin Lizzy Nightlife
    The beatles Let it be
    George Harrison Living in a MAterial World
    The Who WHo by numbers
    AC/DC Jailbreak
    Paul Weller Heavy Soul
    Moby Grape Moby Grape
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    MrSmith wrote:
    Nirvana - bleach

I'm in love with this album now.

By far my favourite Nirvana album.

Mudhoney - Since we've become translucent
    Mark Lanegan - Here comes that wierd chill
    Soulfly - 3
    Motorhead - Kiss Of Death
    Jerry Cantrell - Bogey Depot
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    Drive-By Truckers "Gangstabilly"
    Drive-By Truckers "Pizza Deliverance"
    Drive-By Truckers "Southern Rock Opera"
    Drive-By Truckers "Decoration Day"
    Drive-By Truckers "Dirty South"
    Drive-By Truckers "A Blessing and a Curse"
    Drive-By Truckers "Brighter Than Creation's Dark"
    ...ok, I happen to think DBT is the most underrated band of this decade, but back to the rest of the thread...

Weezer "Pinkerton" (the shining example of this sort of thing)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers "By the Way" (maybe my fav RHCP album)
    Wilco "Being There" (kicks the shit out of YHF)
    PJ "Yield"/"No Code" (duh)
    Bruce Springsteen "Nebraska"
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i don't think Yield was overlooked at all. "Given To Fly" and "Wishlist" were huge radio hits (In Hiding to a lesser extent), the band did TV promotions and made a groundbreaking video w/ Todd McFarline (years before Korn did). and toured! plus, Live on Two Legs was released soon after. i've always thought of Yield as a comeback record after the commercial dissapointment of No Code (although it did debut at number 1, i think that was more die hard PJ fans who bought it that first week).
  • fleahorsefleahorse Posts: 50
    RHCP freaky styley

doubt many people here have listened to or even heard of this album, but its a great album, definitively not properly recognised,
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    Springsteen's underrated album is The Wild, The Innocent, and the E street shuffle. It was his second album, before he broke out with Born to Run. It is only 7 songs, but seven classic long songs. Rosie, Kitty's back, Sandy, all classics.
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    Oh, and as mentioned before, R.E.M.'s New Adventures in Hi Fi is way underrated. Also, people overlook Up, which has really become a fan fav.
  • rudiger10rudiger10 Posts: 129
    fleahorse wrote:
    RHCP freaky styley

doubt many people here have listened to or even heard of this album, but its a great album, definitively not properly recognised,
    Very, Very true. It's really funny how many people "love" RHCP now, and yet if you play anything from Hillel Slovak's time, they will say "ew, this is weird." But I've always loved the funk/rap feel to the early RHCP stuff.
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    R.E.M.- Up
    Silverchair- Diorama
    Better Than Ezra- How Does Your Garden Grow?
    Pearl Jam- Binaural
    Bruce Springsteen- The Ghost of Tom Joad
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Lonesome Crowded West- Modest Mouse
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.