Ever heard of the Libertines?

jimmythingjimmything Posts: 11
edited January 2006 in Other Music
If you're from the UK, probably yes, if not probably no, I'm guessing.

They're a great garage-type rock band. Now split up, however they have two fantastic CD's.

I can't get enough of them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ms11781ms11781 Posts: 88
    jimmything wrote:
    If you're from the UK, probably yes, if not probably no, I'm guessing.

They're a great garage-type rock band. Now split up, however they have two fantastic CD's.

I can't get enough of them.

I thought they were ok. To me they seemed like a band that people thought we destined for heights they could never attain. It wasn't their fault that people hyped them so much, but if you just take a look at Pete Doherty you had to realize that they were in trouble from the start. I first checked them out because I'm a huge Clash fan and Mick Jones produced one (maybe both, I'm not sure) of their albums and spoke so highly of them.
  • ms11781 wrote:
    I thought they were ok. To me they seemed like a band that people thought we destined for heights they could never attain. It wasn't their fault that people hyped them so much, but if you just take a look at Pete Doherty you had to realize that they were in trouble from the start. I first checked them out because I'm a huge Clash fan and Mick Jones produced one (maybe both, I'm not sure) of their albums and spoke so highly of them.

From what I gather, many critics had them pegged as the second coming of the Strokes before their first album landed. Doherty's vocals seem so disjointed and unpolished (which I like), especially on the second album.

It was a band I definitely had to warm up to, but have since enjoyed more.
  • VONVON Posts: 259
    I've heard cant stand me now and read heaps about them in Q but thats it. They're not very big outside of the U.K
  • Yeah I've heard Can't Stand Me Now.
    Cool song but not cool enough for me to buy the albums!
    hehehe
    :)
    Wave came crashing...
  • Their first album is amazing, "Up the Bracket" (nearly perfect). Their second album (simply self titled) is a but underwhelming but still worth checking out. They were a terrific band only if Pete could lay off the drugs. I had high hopes for Babyshambles, and while I like that album, it's not nearly as great as either Libs album. Best band to come out this decade

Here's to Dirty Pretty Things making a great album
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • ms11781ms11781 Posts: 88
    jimmything wrote:
    From what I gather, many critics had them pegged as the second coming of the Strokes before their first album landed. Doherty's vocals seem so disjointed and unpolished (which I like), especially on the second album.

It was a band I definitely had to warm up to, but have since enjoyed more.

When I said that people had them destined for heights they never could attain, I didn't really have the Strokes in mind. As far as critics having pegged them as the second coming of the Strokes, I don't think that's far off. The Strokes are more hype than anything else. The only difference that I see is that the Strokes are still a band. I think saying that the Libertines were pegged as the second coming of the Strokes is giving the Strokes far too much credit. I don't think either band is relevant, nor will the ever be, but it seems as if they both had/have the potential to be.
  • I get along is my I'm late for work shower song. I can play that song and shower & brush my teeth in the shower & shave in the shower and be done at the same time the song is done .... 2:53

try it. it's fun and clean
    holier than Thou
    Bring it on cause i'm no victim
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    am I the only one who liked the second record better then the first?
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • I thought the second album was a clear attempt to sound like the libertines as opposed to just letting it come natural (a la micheal jackson and his "hehe"). the second libertines album was good, but the first album just has something
    holier than Thou
    Bring it on cause i'm no victim
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    hmm , think i have heard of them
  • i am from europe and here you hear a lot about pete doherty...about his drug problems,his life,his relationship with kate moss...blah blah...but the libertines doesn't exist anymore....pete's new band are the babyshambles...you heard anything about them???
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    They're like a band I wouldn't usually like, but truth is I love 'em.
    On the last few days I've blasted "Don't Look Back into the Sun" with the same frequency Pete Doherty snorts cocaine... just can't have enough of that song, is almost like a physical need... brilliant rock and roll.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • CortoCorto Posts: 36
    black eyed wrote:
    i am from europe and here you hear a lot about pete doherty...about his drug problems,his life,his relationship with kate moss...blah blah...but the libertines doesn't exist anymore....pete's new band are the babyshambles...you heard anything about them???

They're great in Europe... and I think that they're "overestimate" (I'm french speaking and I can find a better word).. Babyshambles' album is really good.
    "all you need to play guitar is five strings, three notes, two fingers, and one asshole!" Keith Richards
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    they are cool
  • yes, i heard of them through my college radio station, they are or were very good.
    I attack with love, pure bug beauty, curl my lips and crawl up to you.
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    I love the Libs !
    fav songs - Vertigo, Campaign of Hate, Time For Heroes
    Babyshambles fukin rule an all :D Killa wot a tune and Loyalty Song
  • OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    i've heard of them, but don't know much about them
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Libertines were good enough, but I think Babyshambles are terrible. They can't play. Any performance I've seen on the tv has been out of tune and out of time. Pete Doherty is a mess. He can't perform at all, which is a shame because underneath all the heroin and crack-cocaine there is some talent.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me