robert deleo vs. jeff ament

i am a targeti am a target Posts: 799
edited January 2008 in The Porch
with the rumour of a stone temple pilots reunion i've been on an early 90s kick. between watching live STP clips and listening to purple and tiny music.. i'm quickly becoming impressed by how fucking amazing a bass player (ability and bass lines) robert deleo is.

better then jeff? perhaps.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hobbes wrote:
    with the rumour of a stone temple pilots reunion i've been on an early 90s kick. between watching live STP clips and listening to purple and tiny music.. i'm quickly becoming impressed by how fucking amazing a bass player (ability and bass lines) robert deleo is.

I've never thought to compare them. The DeLeo brothers both seem to have more of a jazz background. I guess I've always thought them too stylistically different to really compare.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • i dont wanna be so quick to compare the two... but id say robs stuff is a more apparent part of STP's work than jeffs is with PJ... jeff definitely stands out on a few tracks but id say usually PJ is a straight ahead pure rockin band where the bass is keeping time along with the drums... STP gets a lil more experimental with some of their stuff and since they have less members the bass probably just stands out a lil more... i love both of their work tho and it fits perfectly for both bands!

i would LOVE to see an STP reunion! (scotts voice sounded a lil shaky live with velvet revolver IMO but it could still work)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    hobbes wrote:

jeff all the way man
    danny d
  • i agree. i would be very excited to go see them. i saw them twice (for tiny music and no. 4) and they were such an incredible band back when tiny music came out. the show i was at in san diego was their last show for a long time (scott went to jail).

but i agree. robert plays a more integral part of STPs music. the guy is incredible.
  • Robert DeLeo certainly knows how to look damn cool.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Robert DeLeo certainly knows how to look damn cool.
    nice! one of my favorite STP songs! scott looks like hed fit in better with judas priest tho :D

(and come to think of it, scotts voice was never really that strong live so that definitely shouldnt be a deterent to reforming the band)

• sgossard3 wrote:
    nice! one of my favorite STP songs! scott looks like hed fit in better with judas priest tho :D

(and come to think of it, scotts voice was never really that strong live so that definitely shouldnt be a deterent to reforming the band)

I think his voice is just better suited to slower songs, live at least. I'm definitely for an STP reunion, so long as they include Ireland in the itinerary.:D

And now I'm watching more clips of this gig... Robert really was the cornerstone of this band... A very strong songwriter, a decent backing vocalist, and a cool presence on stage.

Him and Jeff are very alike.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I think his voice is just better suited to slower songs, live at least. I'm definitely for an STP reunion, so long as they include Ireland in the itinerary.:D
    agreed... their MTV unplugged performance is incredible! and i remember their SNL performances being real strong too... i was too young to have seen em live before so itd be great to a second chance (ive gotten alot of second chances lately with SP, AIC, RAGE, etc :D )

i hate to play into the whole "grunge" thing from back in the day but itd be great for all the great bands from that movement to tour together... would never happen... but DAMN would that be cool... provided SG reunites of course!

• Robert really was the cornerstone of this band... A very strong songwriter, a decent backing vocalist, and a cool presence on stage.

you nailed it! robert is just amazing..
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    i hate to play into the whole "grunge" thing from back in the day but itd be great for all the great bands from that movement to tour together... would never happen... but DAMN would that be cool... provided SG reunites of course!
    ok... i was just thinking about this some more... who wouldnt go see this lineup?

-Pearl Jam
    -Soundgarden
    -Temple of the Dog (of course)
    -AIC
    -maybe a Mad Season tribute thing
    -Mudhoney
    -Green River (of course)
    -STP
    -Smashing Pumpkins
    -Janes Addiction
    -Rage Against the Machine
    -Foo Fighters (not nirvana but the closest connection)
    -Nine Inch Nails (same time period, not really "grunge")
    -Red Hot Chili Peppers

yah... that would be sweet... lets start one of our famous petitions :D

• sgossard3 wrote:

i would LOVE to see an STP reunion! (scotts voice sounded a lil shaky live with velvet revolver IMO but it could still work)

yeah i felt that way too. Scott was such a goof ball on stage as well. I didn't realize he pranced around like that with STP too until i saw the video below. Such a cheezeball with extra parmasian.
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    great band,my first ever concert in 94 at leeds town & country club
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    I've met rob and dean, both awesome guys.

Can't say whose better at bass though...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• sgossard3 wrote:
    ok... i was just thinking about this some more... who wouldnt go see this lineup?

-Pearl Jam
    -Soundgarden
    -AIC
    -Mudhoney
    -Green River (of course)
    -STP
    -Smashing Pumpkins
    -Janes Addiction
    -Red Hot Chili Peppers

Can we add Candlebox to that? Ill sign it after they are added....
    " Well, we drove by a few other names and decided to keep moving until we could find one that we could make ourselves at home in. And it was...I think the name's open to interpretation...even though the real story is the fact that my great grandma was married to an indian chief and... Actually I don't know if he was a chief... Yeah, actually he was demoted. He was a chief for a while and then... When he moved into like white society, he was no longer ordained...but they also...like the ultimate combining of their cultures was the fact that like my great grandma made this jam that was passed down for generations but then she added his end of it by adding, like peyote and hallucenogenics and it was this kind of hallucenogenic jam..."-EV

• Can we add Candlebox to that? Ill sign it after they are added....
    of course! lets add sponge, toad the wet sprocket, seven mary three, the afghan whigs, jesus and mary chain, bush, dinosaur jr, and guns n roses too

• i hate comparing musicians...but i think its fair to say that both jeff ament and robert deleo are two of the best bass guitarists out there. I love DeLeo's "James Jamerson" motown style though
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    he's good, but Jeff's the master
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan. And they are my favorite band of all time. That being said, if you don't think Robert is better than Jeff, you're just fooling yourself. Robert was the main song writer for a band that maintained superstar status in probably the most competitive time for rock in history. Not trying to demean Jeff in anyway. Robert DeLeo is just one of the most underrated song writers pretty much ever. Nothing Jeff has written, with the exception of Jeremy, can hold up to his songs.

-Creep, Plush, Crackerman, Interstate Love Song, Kitchen and Candybars, Big Bang Baby, Lady Picture Show, Down, and the highly underrated, almost criminally ignored, Glide. These are songs where he receives all musical credit, with the exception of the words.

His songs are always the most throughly composed, you think Jeff could write any music even close to Interstate Love Song, Kitchen and Candybars, or Glide?
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • btb002 wrote:
    I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan. And they are my favorite band of all time. That being said, if you don't think Robert is better than Jeff, you're just fooling yourself. Robert was the main song writer for a band that maintained superstar status in probably the most competitive time for rock in history. Not trying to demean Jeff in anyway. Robert DeLeo is just one of the most underrated song writers pretty much ever. Nothing Jeff has written, with the exception of Jeremy, can hold up to his songs.

-Creep, Plush, Crackerman, Interstate Love Song, Kitchen and Candybars, Big Bang Baby, Lady Picture Show, Down, and the highly underrated, almost criminally ignored, Glide. These are songs where he receives all musical credit, with the exception of the words.

His songs are always the most throughly composed, you think Jeff could write any music even close to Interstate Love Song, Kitchen and Candybars, or Glide?

i couldn't have said it better myself.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    btb002 wrote:

I am still voting for Jeff
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    btb002 wrote:

yep. think he can write one better. you should check out sleight of hand ;).

robert deleo is amazing and underrated. no doubt. and maybe technically he is even better, i don't know. however, i prefer jeff because yes, pj is my favorite band and i am alot more attached to jeffs songs. i honestly think most of jeff's are better then the ones you listed because pj is my favorite band. just naturally i tend to love their songs more then any other band. a great pj song is normally better then a great song by another band. but stp is excellent, and so is robert. kitchenware and candybars and glide are absolutely amazing. no doubt.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,539
    btb002 wrote:

Well said!
    I will include Nothingman along with Jeremy.
    I will swallow poison
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I've always loved the bass lines in ST, especially in Tiny Music... but Jeff is great too. They both have their own style.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • From what I've read Jeff has always seemed to have been a bass player. Robert is actually a gutiar player converted to playing bass. Which personally as a bass player this isn't always a good thing. Because to me a converted bass player tends to do to much. But I think Robert does a fantastic job. And prefer to play more walk type likes like Robert does. But don't get me wrong I love what Jeff does period. And if he ever wants to get rid of that Modulous Silvertone shaped bass, I'd love to take it off his hands. Of course I'd have to swap out the pick ups on it!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=EIQf_3Cw6Q4

some awesome bass work on this bad boy, fucking wicked performance from STP
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    i hate comparing musicians...but i think its fair to say that both jeff ament and robert deleo are two of the best bass guitarists out there. I love DeLeo's "James Jamerson" motown style though

bingo

once you reach a certain level its about preference for the individual style
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    sgossard3 wrote:

-Pearl Jam
    -Soundgarden
    -AIC
    -Mudhoney
    -Green River (of course)
    -STP
    -Smashing Pumpkins
    -Janes Addiction
    -Red Hot Chili Peppers

holy shit dude you just posted my top favorite bands of all time. thanks.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=EIQf_3Cw6Q4

some awesome bass work on this bad boy, fucking wicked performance from STP
    Awesome ! I got chills looking at that video. I hope they will reform and come in Europe...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Julien wrote:
    Awesome ! I got chills looking at that video. I hope they will reform and come in Europe...

Yeah the energy from the crowd at that show was insane!