Options

Pumpkings line up revealed

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Smashing Pumpkins Unveil New Members?

The band's new bassist is Ginger Reyes and guitarist Jeff Schroeder has also joined Billy Corgan's group.
Friday, May 11, 2007
The Smashing Pumpkins have unveiled the two new members of their band, according to reports.

The Chicago Tribune names the group's new bassist as Ginger Reyes, formerly of the Halo Friendlies, while Jeff Schroeder, the guitarist from California band Lassie Foundation, has also allegedly been signed up.

The pair will replace D'arcy Wretzky and James Iha respectively at the band's upcoming comeback gig in Paris later this month, although neither has issued official confirmation.

Only frontman Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlain remain from the original band.

The group is set to release their comeback album Zeitgeist on July 7.

Photo Copyright Getty Images

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2007

http://www.thebuzz.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104661&article=2116502
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I think this is a rumor. The headline has a question mark. I'm still hoping for James to come out on the 22nd and say, "gotcha!"
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    bass player is hot

no surprise there
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    this is just not true ...
    it was all started by some website ...
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    If it is true, I think it's best that the new members aren't well known, that way fans will give them a chance to prove themselves.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    this is a 17 second clip of the pumpkins reharsing a new song ...
    it was taped by a security guy in the chicago music garage last week...

http://76.162.227.190/misc/

it sound rocking :)

what do you think?
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    Regarding Ginger Reyes (by the way-she is so cute)
    she was contacted by MTV last week
    and she said that we will all see what is true in Paris on the 22 May

MTV was not able to find guitarist Jeff Schroeder
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    So it's not really pumpkins then is it? That's like PJ getting back together after splitting up and stone and jeff are replaced. Doesn't do it for me.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    mole1985 wrote:
    So it's not really pumpkins then is it? That's like PJ getting back together after splitting up and stone and jeff are replaced. Doesn't do it for me.

bands change there lineups all the time ...
    the cure, NiN ...
    even the beatles had a diffrent guy on bass ...
    nirvana changed there line up
    pumpkins have a unique sound ...
    and that is the key
    not who plays on bass
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    mole1985 wrote:
    so by that logic as soon as jimmy was booted for drugs, they stopped being the pumpkins

and when d'arcy was booted and melissa put in did they stop being the pumpkins then?

SP have a history of changing their line-up, the only important man is billy corgan to be honest
  • Options
    duggro wrote:
    so by that logic as soon as jimmy was booted for drugs, they stopped being the pumpkins

and when d'arcy was booted and melissa put in did they stop being the pumpkins then?

SP have a history of changing their line-up, the only important man is billy corgan to be honest

i agree 100%

it is billys songs, billys band
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    but having jimmy there too is awesome!

his replacement was nowhere near as good
  • Options
    duggro wrote:
    but having jimmy there too is awesome!

his replacement was nowhere near as good

jimmy is a realy cool drummer
    i just hope he stays away from drugs and car racing
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    its a shame james isn't in it.

But at least one of the best drummers ever is in.
  • Options
    did anyone hear like jimmy chamberlin complex -life begins album?
    the songs on it are ok, but the drumming is amazing :)
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    BriskBrisk Posts: 84
    sasoj wrote:
    did anyone hear like jimmy chamberlin complex -life begins album?
    the songs on it are ok, but the drumming is amazing :)

ye.

PSI is probably my fav drumming track
  • Options
    Brisk wrote:
    ye.

PSI is probably my fav drumming track

my fav is loki cat and lullaby is great to :)
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    mole1985 wrote:

I felt this way initially, but...

duggro wrote:

...then I have to agree with the above statement to a certain extent. I wish they could have/would have brought Melissa Auf Der Maur back to the fold, I thought she was a good fit.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Yeah, it is still Smashing Pumpkins, but it is not the same Smashing Pumpkins. This is a perfect example of Billy Corgan wanting to make some money. "I want to reform Smashing Pumpkins. Hmmn....I guess I'll need all new members." It is a band named Smashing Pumpkins, but it is not the same band. Don't be fooled.
  • Options
    Yeah, it is still Smashing Pumpkins, but it is not the same Smashing Pumpkins. This is a perfect example of Billy Corgan wanting to make some money. "I want to reform Smashing Pumpkins. Hmmn....I guess I'll need all new members." It is a band named Smashing Pumpkins, but it is not the same band. Don't be fooled.

Don't be fooled by the rocks that i got,
    i m still, i m still billy from the block ...

he s got alot of money ...

well ...
    we just have to wait and see
    21. may when the single tarantula gets out
    and 22. may when the first concert is played

by the way ...
    here is a link to the MTV article about ZEITGEIST:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1559098/20070508/smashing_pumpkins.jhtml
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486

hmm doesn't bother me if ithey want to make money.. He isn't charging 1000000 dollars or whatever currency you use for a ticket to their show. And i get to go see a band i have been wanting to see live for maybe 5 years. They might not be the 'band' but at least my 2 fave band members are in it.....

same with Alice in chains.......
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    LOOOOOOOOOOOL

that's not smashing pumpkins. it's zwan w/ different members playing pumpkins songs.

LOL.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    LOOOOOOOOOOOL

that's not smashing pumpkins. it's zwan w/ different members playing pumpkins songs.

LOL.

That's such a retarded logic, what exactly did Iha and D'arcy bring to the band (realistically) that can't be reproduced by others? Corgan and Chamberlin on the other hand are pretty much virtuosos with their respective instruments.
  • Options
    LOOOOOOOOOOOL

LOL.

please dont post crap here :)
    i love rock chicks
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I think this is a rumor. The headline has a question mark. I'm still hoping for James to come out on the 22nd and say, "gotcha!"
    I 'm hoping James just walks out on stage unannounced at the first show, but I fear it won't happen :(

Best case scenario:

- Those 2 people are really cool but just touring musicians (which is probably true).
    - James hasn't said that he won't come back, and he's working on his next solo album now. Hopefully when that's over he'll join the pumpkins again.
    - D'arcy I could take or leave. Corgan's got a plethera of bass players (all women to my knowledge...) such as the beautiful Mellissa Auf Dem Maur to choose from.

In any case it's good to have them back.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    That's such a retarded logic, what exactly did Iha and D'arcy bring to the band (realistically) that can't be reproduced by others? Corgan and Chamberlin on the other hand are pretty much virtuosos with their respective instruments.
    yep.

Something that people are forgetting is the power that playing under the name will give Corgan. It's like going home again, even if the members are different. He won't be worrying about 'not' sounding like the pumpkins now as well.

D'arcy is expendable, but I thought James actually brought a lot to the band. I love his songs, his voice, and his Ebow fetish. Also he's an extremely capable second guitar that fit perfectly in the Pumpkins.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I 'm hoping James just walks out on stage unannounced at the first show, but I fear it won't happen :(

Best case scenario:

- Those 2 people are really cool but just touring musicians (which is probably true).
    - James hasn't said that he won't come back, and he's working on his next solo album now. Hopefully when that's over he'll join the pumpkins again.
    - D'arcy I could take or leave. Corgan's got a plethera of bass players (all women to my knowledge...) such as the beautiful Mellissa Auf Dem Maur to choose from.

In any case it's good to have them back.
    My best proof for my wishful thinking is that it took James over 2 years to say he wasn't in the reform. Surely he hadn't disappeared for that time. And just because he's working on a solo album doesn't mean he can't work with the Pumpkins.

Look at it like this. His first one came out around the same time as Adore I think. So he's fully capable of doing it again. Also, how much does he contribute to the writing process? That's mainly Billy's department, though James brings more depth to the songs.

And James is somewhat of a comedian (at least on stage). This would be a great joke if it happens, I would laugh hard about it --- especially all the people who write the Pumpkins off because of the statement, won't they feel shallow.

Rumor has it that D'arcy is back. Some guys that were in the same building as their rehersal space saw her set up I think, with her name on it.

:eek:

Wishful thinking :D:D:D
  • Options
    It's gonna be an interesting few months that's for sure.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    I could take James being back as potential good news (but it isn't going to make or break anything). Darcy not so much, she actually kinda sucked. I really don't see how her coming back to the band does any good other than to satisfy some of the "OMG its not really the Pumpkins!!!" people. And those people crack me up... seriously now... If this record comes out in July and James and Darcy are on it, it will sound exactly the same as it would if they weren't on it. The only real difference would be some of James' guitar playing at the shows and maybe the outside chance of them playing Blew Away or something.

It's Billy's record, and he needs Jimmy to play drums, because we already learned that Jimmy is fucking irreplaceable. That is really about all there is to it.

This isn't like Jeff and Stone in Pearl Jam, they write songs, good songs, important songs. I can probably count the number of songs James wrote on my fingers. I can count the number of songs he (co)wrote that I like on one finger.

But I think I say this about once a week in whatever Pumpkins thread is going on at the time.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    Ali babaAli baba Posts: 36
    Q101 will play the single today!!!
  • Options
    superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    Exactly. This isnt like bands where they share duties. You lose a member, you lose something.

Like when Depeche Mode lost Alan Wilder, it lost I think its best musician. That loss hurt ALOT.

Smashing pumpkins losing Darcy/james? Who cares? Billy writes the music, lyrics and sings all the vox.