Best non-pearl jam concert ever attended?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Whats the best non pearl jam gig you ever attended? I would have to say seeing Dylan the day we started bombing Afghanistan, and he played Masters of War and Blowin in the Wind. Pretty special and auspicious gig
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    The Very 1st Tibetan Freedom Concert:

Polo Fields, Golden Gate Park June 15th & 16th 1996 $800 000 raised 100 000 Attendees

The Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Chaksam-pa, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Pavement, Cibo Matto, Biz Markie, Richie Havens, John Lee Hooker, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Sonic Youth, Beck, Björk, De La Soul, Fugees, Buddy Guy, The Skatalites, Yoko Ono/Ima

Speakers: Chimi Thonden - Tibetan Activist, Palden Gyatso - Former Political Prisoner, Shen Tong - Chinese Democracy Activist, Robert A.F. Thurman, Professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies, Columbia University
    NERDS!
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Maybe The Smashing Pumpkins, in Belgium in 96
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Tom Petty/The Allman Brothers Band, then Aerosmith, then Bruce Springsteen with R.E.M., John Fogerty, & Bright Eyes.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Hard for me to pick the best but i've seen great shows from these bands that are just as good if not better then pj shows i've seen:

Wilco
    My Morning Jacket
    Arcade fire

And although I only got to see neil young in his later years nothing beats some of the moments at a neil concert. Like Hearing him close a set with Like a Hurricane :eek: awesome! and then come out for an encore with Mellow My Mind. Hearing Greendale for the first time Live and the crowd who had mostly never heard the song chanting Be the Rain with him. Catching Old Man live for the first time.

Oh and i almost forgot Mastodon for a good heavy show. nothing like seeing them in their hometown and watching the place go ape shit for blood & thunder followed by hearts alive.

damn i forgot about the mars volta. Not as much as an opening band but i saw them in a large club and the experience was phenominal. Saw them opening for SOAD and RHCP and they were good but far from the spiritual experience when i saw them on their own.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Arcade Fire, The Dismemberment Plan and, most surprisingly, The Walkmen. I wasn't a huge fan of any of the three before I went to see them, but they were all really great live. I still don't listen to the Walkmen that often, but they put on a great live show.
  • Tough one......gonna go with

Chris Cornell-- this past month on his solo tour. Really incredible & small venue
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    Dave Matthews Band - Dodger Stadium 2001

Mason Jennings - Troubadour 2006
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Audioslave in Manchester UK in 2005. I remember seeing some people i knew who went and they weren't really into Audioslave but they were totally blown away by that gig.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Probably STP, or Screaming Headless Torsos. SHT are such incredible players that I'm always in awe after watching all those guys.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • jamainiacjamainiac Posts: 429
    Pink Floyd, BC Place, Vancouver '95 ...

Hands Down!!

:D
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • BriskBrisk Posts: 84
    by quite a way The Hedrons and ALICE IN CHAINS @ Astoria 2006.

About 50 million degrees inside. Atmosphere was absolutely inredible!
  • DMB in Camden last summer both nights were pretty sick.

Tool kicked my ass as well.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • CaterinaACaterinaA Posts: 572
    I'm torn between Neil Young & Crazy Horse (2001) and
    White Stripes (2005), both here in Buenos Aires. Yeap, can't decide, both shows were soooo spectacular!!!
  • Probably My Morning Jacket in LA this past January. It was a nuts show.
  • clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    My Morning Jacket
    Muse
    Drive By Truckers
    Flaming Lips
    Arcade Fire
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 589
    DMB at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT....1995.....great show.

John Mayer at Theodore's in Springfield, MA.....really cool club, probably my favorite Mayer show.

Arcade Fire at Webster Hall in NYC a couple years ago.

Coachella '07......hard to single out one act (maybe Rodrigo y Gabriela and Amy Winehouse), but that was 3 AWESOME days of music.

Rusted Root at TLA in Philly.....back in the day, maybe 1999. The whole place was going nuts, literally shaking.

Robert Randolph & The Family Band at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT, maybe like 2004.......I think it was a Weds. night but you would have thought it was Saturday, the crowd was going CRAZY, definitely one of my favorites.

Sorry, hard to choose just one show.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,274
    still even after all this time

LED ZEPPELIN MSG 77"

i haven't felt anticipation like that since .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jimdietrichjimdietrich Posts: 42
    The Boss. Anytime Springsteen plays Giant's Stadium on the last night of the run it is hands down the greatest show of all time.
    Anger is a gift
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Whats the best non pearl jam gig you ever attended? I would have to say seeing Dylan the day we started bombing Afghanistan, and he played Masters of War and Blowin in the Wind. Pretty special and auspicious gig
    That had to have been an incredible moment.

I have a hard time choosing .... I guess I'd say Led Zeppelin in '77. Very, very close runners up would be Pink Floyd Animals tour, the Stones in '75, Neil & Crazy Horse sometime around '82 or so, and Ben Harper in '05.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,833
    Probably The Flaming Lips at the New York State Fair in Syracuse, September 2006.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    Ween - 1.30.98 Trocadero, Philadelphia

Out of fuckin' control.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Tom Petty, NIN, Paul McCartney, or Oasis.........cant decide
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Incubus in 2002

I would have said Dylan, but it was a festival and he only played for about 50 minutes. :(
    I wanted it to be more like 2 hours of Dylan.
  • sherrieannsherrieann Posts: 1
    Absolutely, without a doubt....
    Mudhoney, Seattle December 2006.
    Fucking unbelievable
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    Rolling Stones - Moncton 09/05
    U2 - Boston 10/05
    Radiohead Montreal - 06/06
    Red Hot Chili Peppers Boston - 10/06
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    chimpat wrote:
    Coachella '07......hard to single out one act (maybe Rodrigo y Gabriela and Amy Winehouse), but that was 3 AWESOME days of music.

Rod and Gab kicked some major ass! One of the simplest...most amazing specticals I've ever seen! They blew me away!

...again, not a single show, but the Tsunami benefit in Seattle....with the AIC reunion....that would be my pick!
  • For me:

My Morning Jacket (Atlanta and Asheville) - Both killer shows with very high energy and great crowds!

Kings of Leon - All 4 shows - these guys blew the roof off of each venue

Widespread Panic - New Years Eve '06 Atlanta
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I'd have to go with The Tragically Hip's benefit show for War Child here at The Forks in Winnipeg on 9/16/2000. It's the largest turnout Winnipeg's had for a concert I believe. There was over 80,000 people.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    Guns N' Roses Manchester 06. My second time seeing them. I got the dvd of this too and reminds me of how much fun the band were having and how good Axls voice was.