lynyrd skynyrd

scot88scot88 Posts: 217
edited August 2007 in Other Music
anyone else think that lynyrd skynyrd is one of the greatest american rock bands of all time?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    YES but not the version that goes around with that name now they really suck .........i would add "were" past tense .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    YES. Skynyrd does not get anywhere near enough credit. It sucks that some people wrtie them off as a redneck band, because they made great music. Songs like Gimme Back My Bullets, That Semll, On the Hunt, and many others are as good as anything from their time period. Ronnie Van Zant was an incredibly soulful singer, too.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Play Freebird you pussies.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Oh yes yes yes.They were.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    interesting that this thread comes along today....I've been playing Sweet Home Alabama on repeat all of yesterday and today.....such a good and catchy riff on that tune
  • interesting that this thread comes along today....I've been playing Sweet Home Alabama on repeat all of yesterday and today.....such a good and catchy riff on that tune

I was just gonna comment on the same thing...Sweet Home Alabama and
    Free Bird have been on constant rotation on my IPOD lately. They just do it for me...But then again, I'm from the south. See y'all!!!
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Lynyrd Skynyrd were one of the classic rock bands to come out of the 70's. The 5 albums made before the tragic death of RVZ are all timeless and contain some of the sweetest guitar playing ever commited to vinyl.
    I agree that the band that has been touring under the Lynyrd Skynyrd name for the past 18 years are nothing more than a tribute act and not a great one at that. IMO.
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    interesting that this thread comes along today....I've been playing Sweet Home Alabama on repeat all of yesterday and today.....such a good and catchy riff on that tune
    too bad kfc raped the song in their commercials.

btw, i know we have our differences, you being from columbia and me going to clemson. but i was expecting too meet a lot more skynyrd fans here in south carolina than i have so far.
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,784
    scot88 wrote:
    too bad kfc raped the song in their commercials.

This is EXACTLY Why I can't stand them anymore... And I'm not the type to cry "sell out" and hate a band whenever I see them sell a song to a commercial-- because I'd have to hate STP, Zepelin, the Who, and a few dozen others. But something about the KFC commercial, and that terribly annoying lick in the beginning of that song being played over and over again has just worn on me, and now none of their stuff sounds the same to me anymore. It's sad, because I used to kinda dig them... Now I despise just about everything they've done.

Well, Freebird is still kind of cool :)
    2 songs that people should listen to

needle and the spoon

ballad of curtis blow

those boys were great ......

Allan Collins & Gary Rosington and at the end they added fucking Steve Gains these 3 guitar players were great .......
  • You forgot Ed King.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "That Smell"..........what a great song..."Whiskey bottle, brand new, oak tree you're in my way...."

You know that a band is great when they inspire another great band to write a rock opera in their honor.....see "Southern Rock Opera" by the Drive-by Truckers.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    scot88 wrote:
    btw, i know we have our differences, you being from columbia and me going to clemson. but i was expecting too meet a lot more skynyrd fans here in south carolina than i have so far.

I'm from SC and I love Skynyrd. I have a friend (much older than myself of course) that saw them open up for the Rolling Stones and said they could play the Stones off any stage stage.

even their non-hit songs were magic. songs like "All I Can Do is Write it in a Song" and "Every Mother's Son". Ed King and Steve Gaines were great, but I still think they were better with just Rossington and Collins (and no female backup singers) because they were much more raw.
  • TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    Caught the farewell tour show last night in Virginia (it was my second time seeing them) and I've got to say, it was a great show! Much better than when I saw them on the Rowdy Frynds tour which I think was 2014. The openers were Atlanta Rhythm Section (who I missed), .38 Special, and Foghat. The two openers that I saw were great and the Skynyrd put on a great show, they actually played The Ballad of Curtis Loew which is not a song that they usually play and is a favourite of mine so I was very pleased with that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9jNgdoKmUI

I had special tickets where I was supposed to get a merch package and nobody was able to tell me where I was supposed to go and I eventually ended up being upgraded for free by the lady who works with Skynyrd and ended up in the party section and got to meet some of the band! Such a great lady, so kind...nothing but respect for her and the band! It was Johnny and Peter and they actually walked around and sat down and spoke to the fans took photos etc. Normally when I've been in a VIP situation the band members are in one stationary place and you are rushed by them in a matter of seconds. 

If you get a chance to see them on this tour I definitely recommend it! 
  • Saturday Night Special is one of my all time favourite songs. It's a great tune for lifting weights, picking up the pace on a jog, or biking up a mountain.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Simple Man....Tuesday's Gone.... You can't not be great writing those two songs. 
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    Simple Man....Tuesday's Gone.... You can't not be great writing those two songs. 
    Truth
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    Simple Man , Tuesday's Gone , Freebird. 
    If a song can be perfected ,mission accomplished x 3
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Truth
    +1
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Yes, sadly, all are gone.
    The loss of musicians already this year has been staggering.  And we're only a little over two months in.  :frowning:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Yes, sadly, all are gone.
    The loss of musicians already this year has been staggering.  And we're only a little over two months in.  :frowning:
    Damn it’s really sad seeing all these great artists we’ve lost in the last couple of years! 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    yes...and only 71
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • onemorshowonemorshow Posts: 375
    RIP!!
    I was lucky to have seen them on what would be their last tour with Original line up and after the plane crash a couple of years later I saw the Rossington&Collins band they were good too they closed out the show with an instrumental Freebird! 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I was lucky to have seen them on what would be their last tour with Original line up and after the plane crash a couple of years later I saw the Rossington&Collins band they were good too they closed out the show with an instrumental Freebird! 

Very cool!  Especially seeing the original band.  That must have been great.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Very cool!  Especially seeing the original band.  That must have been great.
    Man it’s still tough to see all these great artists pass on! 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,597
    Our souls are ALL intertwined.

Love you all
    Loujoe said:
    Our souls are ALL intertwined.

Love you all
    I can agree on this sentiment 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    HUGELY underappreciated band!