peter gabriel

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited May 2007 in Other Music
hmmm....i thought for sure a thread for the genius of gabriel existed already, but did a search, and nothing. don't know why this song just popped into my head....but gabriel lyrics tend to do that.

Signal To Noise

you know the way that things go
when what you fight for starts to fall
and in that fuzzy picture
he writing stands out on the wall
so clearly on the wall

send out the signals deep and loud

and in this place, can you reassure me
with a touch, a smile – while the cradle’s burning
all the while the world is turning to noise
oh the more that it’s surrounding us
the more that it destroys
turn up the signal
wipe out the noise

send out the signals deep and loud

man i’m losing sound and sight
of all those who can tell me wrong from right
when all things beautiful and bright
sink in the night
yet there’s still something in my heart
that can find a way
to make a start
to turn up the signal
wipe out the noise

wipe out the noise
wipe out the noise
you know that’s it
you know that’s it
receive and transmit
receive and transmit
receive and transmit
you know that’s it
you know that’s it
receive and transmit
you know that’s it
you know that’s it
receive and transmit

share some rambings on the genius of peter gabriel..........:D

btw - this also reminds me, where in the hell is sebastian/signaltonoise? haven't seen him around these parts in ages......
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    New album in 2006.....nuff said.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    tybird wrote:
    New album in 2006.....nuff said.

:eek:
    YAY!

i did not know this...thank you tybird. :) apparently the only other jammer on the forum to care. :o haha. sebastian is usually so good at keeping us all up-to-date on all the gabriel happeneings, i miss him.

wooohooooo......NEW peter gabriel in 2006! awesome. :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Melt is a work of genius. he hasn't topped his first 3 solo albums yet IMHO, but he does some extraordinary work. Passion for instance...
    enharmonic wrote:
    Melt is a work of genius. he hasn't topped his first 3 solo albums yet IMHO, but he does some extraordinary work. Passion for instance...

maybe not *topped* per se.....but he has gone off in different directions, really challenged himself musically. the album Us is a true favorite of mine.....and his latest release Up is pure genius as well. passion is unreal, so hauntingly beautiful.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Anybody purchased/watched/shop-lifted the new concert DVD??? Worth the expenditure if you already own "Growing Up Live?" Curious minds want to know....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • titefkatitefka Posts: 35
    Peter Gabriel is amazing .. but too personal to share with others ;)
    www.myspace.com/titefka
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    tybird wrote:
    Anybody purchased/watched/shop-lifted the new concert DVD??? Worth the expenditure if you already own "Growing Up Live?" Curious minds want to know....

If you're a fan, definitely. Not a whole lot of overlapping songs from the previous release, and different venues showcased (as opposed to one on GUL) offer an interesting view of the later touring cycle. The extras are great as well.

Up is his masterpiece as far as I am concerned. He has just gotten better with every release.
    AndySlash wrote:
    If you're a fan, definitely. Not a whole lot of overlapping songs from the previous release, and different venues showcased (as opposed to one on GUL) offer an interesting view of the later touring cycle. The extras are great as well.

Up is his masterpiece as far as I am concerned. He has just gotten better with every release.
    Good..... with Valentine's Day and a birthday in the near future, obtaining this dvd could be plausible. Thanks for the review.
    tybird wrote:

hmmm...hubby gave me the newer dvd for christmas, and then he received the older one, growing up live from my sister. we decided to keep his, simply b/c he had the receipt for the one he purchsed for me, it was the more expensive of the 2, and thought eh....we don't need both, so get the $$$ back. :o

if you DO get/watch the newer of the 2, do please let me know if you think it is worth owning. we may have go back and repurchase then. :p i still have yet to watch growing up live....been very busy as of late......and going out to see movies a lot....and also got other dvds for christmas as well. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

hmmm...hubby gave me the newer dvd for christmas, and then he received the older one, growing up live from my sister. we decided to keep his, simply b/c he had the receipt for the one he purchsed for me, it was the more expensive of the 2, and thought eh....we don't need both, so get the $$$ back. :o

if you DO get/watch the newer of the 2, do please let me know if you think it is worth owning. we may have go back and repurchase then. :p i still have yet to watch growing up live....been very busy as of late......and going out to see movies a lot....and also got other dvds for christmas as well. :D
    I can vouch for "Growing Up Live" as being well worth the price of admission.....so pop some popcorn and sit back for an entertaining ride.
    tybird wrote:
    I can vouch for "Growing Up Live" as being well worth the price of admission.....so pop some popcorn and sit back for an entertaining ride.

i'm sure it is. christmas 2004 i gave hubby - and i guess it was a gift to me too ;) - peter gabriel: play the videos and peter gabriel: secret world live - both awesome. hell, it IS gabriel, so of course it would be brilliant. eh, maybe i should've held onto the newer dvd as well. either way, do let me know what you think if you see it. damnit, i was trying to be practical :o....sooo not my style, what was i thinking?! :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

i'm sure it is. christmas 2004 i gave hubby - and i guess it was a gift to me too ;) - peter gabriel: play the videos and peter gabriel: secret world live - both awesome. hell, it IS gabriel, so of course it would be brilliant. eh, maybe i should've held onto the newer dvd as well. either way, do let me know what you think if you see it. damnit, i was trying to be practical :o....sooo not my style, what was i thinking?! :p
    I will have to check those two older news out......I think Best Buy runs those a lot in sales.

I guess you need to write yourself a new rule for 2006: Once good music gets in your hands, it stays in your hands.
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    Shock The Monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
    tybird wrote:
    I will have to check those two older news out......I think Best Buy runs those a lot in sales.

I guess you need to write yourself a new rule for 2006: Once good music gets in your hands, it stays in your hands.

indeed, indeed. i think hubby and i will be sitting down tonight with a nice fire....and finally watch the growing up live dvd. :cool:

eh, you live...you learn. :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

indeed, indeed. i think hubby and i will be sitting down tonight with a nice fire....and finally watch the growing up live dvd. :cool:

eh, you live...you learn. :p
    I hope a good time was had by all.....:D
    tybird wrote:
    I hope a good time was had by all.....:D

that it was. :D great to almost relive the experience of live peter gabriel....and hear some discussions of his thoughts/ideas/processes. the man is just such a musical genius......and his whole idea shown music as theatre.....unique visions indeed.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• bump...bump...bump...for THE man. :cool:

a real fave...an oldie, but a great, amazingly brilliant, tune:

Indigo

It's too late, this model's out of date.
    Got every spare part, but there ain't much heart inside here.
    Not like the start, I was good at the art of survival;
    I've always tried to keep my feelings deep inside
    Where I can hide them, now I'm open wide.

When it ends, again I'll see my friends,
    They'll give me a lift, I've been running adrift, so easy...
    Shifting the gear, I've got nothing to fear from a showdown,
    I'll go down quiet.
    And the kids downstairs making a hell of a din,
    I'm all alone, getting a quote for the wages of sin.

Beyond the indigo, indigo,
    Where the chilly winds, winds will blow,
    My time is running low.
    Going to cross the dark, dark river,
    Going to see my good life-giver,
    Better cover my yellow liver.

All right, I'm giving up the fight,
    I didn't know when I'd be a stranger again in my own land.
    The days are okay, but oh, how I hate these long nights.
    You understand?
    Darling, please just hold my hand.
    You feel so warm, in the eye of the storm,
    I'm going away, I'm going away, I'm going away.
    See you again someday...
    Darling, I'm going away.
    Feel like I'm going away, this time I'm going away.

absofuckinglutely.....gut-wrenching.

sheesh....where IS buru and signaltonoise in this thread?! :rolleyes: ha.
    i'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • i wonder when his new album will be released....and tour?!

I Have the Touch

The time I like is the rush hour, cos I like the rush
    The pushing of the people - I like it all so much
    Such a mass of motion - do not know where it goes
    I move with the movement and ... I have the touch

I'm waiting for ignition, I'm looking for a spark
    Any chance collision and I light up in the dark
    There you stand before me, all that fur and all that hair
    Oh, do I dare ... I have the touch

Wanting contact
    I'm wanting contact
    I'm wanting contact with you
    Shake those hands, shake those hands
    Give me the thing I understand

Any social occasion, it's hello, how do you do
    All those introductions, I never miss my cue
    So before a question, so before a doubt
    My hand moves out and ... I have the touch

Wanting contact
    I'm wanting contact
    I'm wanting contact with you
    Give me the thing I understand

Pull my chin, stroke my hair, scratch my nose, hug my knees
    Try drink, food, cigarette, tension will not ease
    I tap my fingers, fold my arms, breathe in deep, cross my legs
    Shrug my shoulders, stretch my back - but nothing seems
    to please

I need contact
    I need contact
    Nothing seems to please
    I need contact
    i'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    I love this man.

:cool:
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • I luv...
    The Book of Love...make sme cry, wahhhh
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Buru wrote:
    I love this man.

:cool:

i love my beautiful argentian goddess. :p

just for you:

Here Comes The Flood

When the night shows
    the signals grow on radios
    All the strange things
    they come and go, as early warnings
    Stranded starfish have no place to hide
    still waiting for the swollen Easter tide
    There's no point in direction we cannot
    even choose a side.

I took the old track
    the hollow shoulder, across the waters
    On the tall cliffs
    they were getting older, sons and daughters
    The jaded underworld was riding high
    Waves of steel hurled metal at the sky
    and as the nail sunk in the cloud, the rain
    was warm and soaked the crowd.

Lord, here comes the flood
    We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
    If again the seas are silent
    in any still alive
    It'll be those who gave their island to survive
    Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry.

When the flood calls
    You have no home, you have no walls
    In the thunder crash
    You're a thousand minds, within a flash
    Don't be afraid to cry at what you see
    The actors gone, there's only you and me
    And if we break before the dawn, they'll
    use up what we used to be.

Lord, here comes the flood
    We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
    If again the seas are silent
    in any still alive
    It'll be those who gave their island to survive
    Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry.

< Repeat chorus once >
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    Thanks dreamn, you know how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Buru wrote:
    Thanks dreamn, you know how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song

*wishes for a kissy emoticon*

you know i love, love, love far too many to mention. genius, pure and simple. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

ok, this was the gabriel thread i was really looking for....one focused on his genius, not commercials. ;) haha.

just thinking/discussing 'greats' in music, and of course...led my mind right here...to gabriel. so then, thought a little thread ressurrection appropriate. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• smokeabudsmokeabud Posts: 253
    Gabriel is a god !

best song is I Go Swimming ....

or Biko
    Vote for PJ to play in Alaska

11/91 chicago
    7/11/95 chicago
    6/29/98 chicago
    5/30/00 london UK
    6/4/00 manchester UK
    10/8/00 alpine valley
    10/9/00 chicago
    6/18/03 chicago

PLAY ALASKA U PUSSIES
    I finally sat down and watched the majority of the "Still Growing Up" dvd. This dvd used a lot of footage from different venues in its presentation, however I felt like there was a little too much song repetition from the "Growing Up" dvd. That said, this was still a very good dvd package............the extra songs of the band rehearsing in the studio were neat.
    tybird wrote:
    I finally sat down and watched the majority of the "Still Growing Up" dvd. This dvd used a lot of footage from different venues in its presentation, however I felt like there was a little too much song repetition from the "Growing Up" dvd. That said, this was still a very good dvd package............the extra songs of the band rehearsing in the studio were neat.

you got the *better* dvd..i didn't have all of that. mine was just one? concert i think? i'd have to go and get the dvd and check...which i am far too lazy right now to do. ;) however, i think it was a concert in milan...sounds about right anyway. but yea, no matter what....very damn cool...like the man himself.

*smokeabud, i like the way you think. ;) agreed. altho i have different favorites....but the rest, right on. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

you got the *better* dvd..i didn't have all of that. mine was just one? concert i think? i'd have to go and get the dvd and check...which i am far too lazy right now to do. ;) however, i think it was a concert in milan...sounds about right anyway. but yea, no matter what....very damn cool...like the man himself.

*smokeabud, i like the way you think. ;) agreed. altho i have different favorites....but the rest, right on. :)
    There are two dvds out, dearie............the one that we both have, Growing Up Live, and the newer one "Still Growing Up Live." I have both of them. The newer one makes a good bookend for the first one. Overall, the one we have in common is a much better total performance.
  • Personally, I think "Darkness" may be one of his best songs. It just sounds like noise the first few times and then bam!!, you realize it is an awesome song.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • ...from the same album, I think "No Way Out" is the most depressing song ever.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage