Options

Daniel Johnston

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited January 2006 in Other Music
Anyone a fan? I am thinking about getting some of his cd's. I remember ed was a fan and so was Kurt Cobain.

Noone talks about him anymore.

Is he really all that good?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    VortexVortex Posts: 8,772
    Anyone a fan? I am thinking about getting some of his cd's. I remember ed was a fan and so was Kurt Cobain.

Noone talks about him anymore.

Is he really all that good?

He is really great, there´s a tribute album called The Late Daniel Johnston: Discovered Covered who has the covers of some indie rock bands on the first cd and the originals on the second one, maybe you can start with that one.

Keep in mind that some of the songs are lo-fi recordings but Daniel is a great lyricist anyway.

I started listening to him in 1996, i heard a version of Speeding Motorcycle from Yo La Tengo´s rare stuff compliation Genius + Love on the radio, then that radio show broadcasted some songs from the Kids OST (there are some of his songs on that cd) and then a different weekend some songs from Fun and Yip Yump Music but i think that the tribute album is good to start with.
    If you follow every dream
    You might get lost
  • Options
    i do believe eddie spun one of his songs during self pollution radio i 1995 .......go to pearljamlive.com and check it out......

they also covered "walking the cow" in 94

if you've never heard his music, you may be suprised what it sounds like......
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    Vortex wrote:
    He is really great, there´s a tribute album called The Late Daniel Johnston: Discovered Covered who has the covers of some indie rock bands on the first cd and the originals on the second one, maybe you can start with that one.

vortex beat me to it ;)
    get this cd!!!!!!!!!! i think more tribute albums should follow this concept and include the originals...

i think there's such a painful beauty to his music...
    but have you heard any of his songs before or know anything about his life?
    because if your answer to these questions is no, please listen before you buy... daniel johnston is not for everyone...
    his voice is rather high pitched and the music is VERY lo-fi...
    daniel suffers from bipolar disorder... there are lot's of artists you'd label as mentally unstable but his condition is serious...
    but then again, don't think of his art as some novelty music by a handicapped person but take it for what it is - a damn good collection of great songs!
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    RIP
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    RIP
    Hard to believe he made it as long as he did.

He was quite an extraordinarily unique talent.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Eddie covered him a lot on the solo tours.  Glen Hansard was also a fan, check out The Swell Season performing with him at ACL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMYjCINcH9g