Options

Dinosaur Jr.

verb_to_trustverb_to_trust Posts: 178
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Hey guys,

Anyone here really into this band or J Mascis? I've heard some sound clips online but that's abouit it. From what I have heard it sounds like some pretty cool stuff even though the vocals sound pretty poor.

I can't find any cd's of these guys for the life of me though.

If anyone has any thoughts on this band feel free to share.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    big fan of Dinosaur Jr. and J. Mascis. If people have a problem with vocals, you bet, they could be a tough listen. However J is without a doubt one of the most underrated guitarists on the planet.

I prefer Green Mind on (Warner Bros releases) more than the previous SST (later Merge) work however I have them all and like each one.

J. Mascis solo work is also just as good and others here will attest (there are a couple big J fans here) his work on Maggot Brain (off Mike Watt's Ball Hog disc) is borderline underground legendary.

got to see J perform acoustically opening up for Modest Mouse a year or so ago, fine fine fine guitar player.

My first choice to start would be Where Ya Been. If the intro of 'Out There' doesn't grab you......oh my.
  • Options
    amazon.com is your friend

Yeah alot of their stuff you will not find in the ru of the mill CD stores, you must look harder
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Anyone here really into this band or J Mascis? I've heard some sound clips online but that's abouit it. From what I have heard it sounds like some pretty cool stuff even though the vocals sound pretty poor.

I can't find any cd's of these guys for the life of me though.

If anyone has any thoughts on this band feel free to share.

dinosaur jr is awesome.
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing.
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him.
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact.
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
  • Options
    Green Mind is amazing...and the best f*ing cover to an album...a (looks like) 14 y.o girl puffing away on a cig. Funny as shit.
    "Worship the music, not the musician"
    EV
    4/16/92 ; 7/22/92 ; 9/20/92 ; 12/7/93 ; 6/7/95 ; 9/14/96 ; 9/16/96 ; 9/1/98 ; 11/2/00 ; 10/22/01 ; 12/6/02 ; 12/8/02 ; 5/30/03 ; 7/6/03 ; 7/8/03 ; 7/9/03 ; 10/22/03 ; 11/24/03 ; 9/1/05 ; 9/2/05 ; 7/9/06 ; 7/10/06 ; 7/22/06 ; 7/23/06 ; 8/22/2009 ; 8/23/2009 ; 9/21/2009 ; 9/22/2009 ; 9/3/2011 ; 9/4/2011
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    You're Living All Over Me has a lot going on within each song. Probably my favorite of all their stuff -- reissues were recently released and can be purchased here: http://www.surefiredistribution.com/cgi-bin/showlabel.pl?label=bakedgoods

I would agree w/ others that Green Mind is good, too. But this isn't really a collective effort from the classic/original lineup -- no Barlow and Murph doesn't play on many of the tracks here. Still a great record/cd.

Get 'You're Living...' and you WILL NOT have regrets.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Dinosaur Jr. are one of my favorite bands. I saw them last month, and it was incredible. They are one fucking LOUD band.

I'd have to say that all of their records up through Where You Been are absolutely essential.

Their first one is great, YLAOM is one of my top ten favorite records of all time, Bug is good, and Green Mind is fantastic. Where You Been has some spotty moments, but overall its killer.

J Mascis rocks!
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    i kick myself for not seeing them on their last tour.

Where You Been rocks hard...J is climbing up the list of my favorite guitarists.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    http://www.freesofree.net this website is the goldmine of downloads for Dinosaur jr, J Masics, J Masics and the Fog, Sebadoh and any related Dinosaur band, its a live bootleg heaven and dinosaur jr forum, register and download tons of beautiful live music for free, so free.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    dinosaur jr. is extremely underrated. j is easily one of the best guitarists to come out of the late '80's/90's. i had a chance to see them last year on their "reunion" tour. they were incredible. my ears are still bleeding.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    they are great. i used to have alot of their tapes, which didn't do them justice (but when did tapes anyway)as the bass didn't come through. dino jr. is awesome. i love where ya been. free so free by j is awesome as well.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    dirt wrote:
    Get 'You're Living...' and you WILL NOT have regrets.

i just got into them in the past few months and this was the first one i bought and was a good move. i love them and i actually really like his voice, although i can understand how some feel it is rough.

anyway, i can't believe i never knew about this band when i was younger. i know i heard of them, but never actually heard them. i can't see why i wouldn't have loved them in the early nineties. fuck!
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    I'm not that big of a fan, but just felt like posting something here because today I'm wearing my Dinosaur Jr. t-shirt (with the cover of Where You Been?), by the way WYB, what an awesome album, as transplant said if that guitar storm at the beginning of the album doesn't grab you, then nothing would do, great album from beginning to end... J Mascis' acoustic album -as I posted in some other thread-, Martin + me, is really sweet, his cover of "The boy with the thorn on his side" there, just lovely.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    How this thread has escaped my attention until now is beyond me. I love J Mascis and Dinosaur Jr. His guitar work is phenomenal. He melts people’s faces that is the best way to put it. His vocals are not that strong. Many comparisons to Neil young for guitar style and vocal style. I enjoy his lyrics but bob Dylan he is not.

As for albums My three favorites are:
    Where Ya Been
    Green Mind
    You’re Living All Over Me

Also as mentioned the solo albums particularly free so free and martin and me are pretty good too.

All this said do not let the song Alone slip past you. It is on the album hand it over. Just download that song and you can thank me later ! :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22