The Wallflowers

deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
edited December 2005 in Other Music
i was ordering some random CDs from bmg the other day, and i decided to pick up the rest of the wallflowers' albums that i didn't have. so i got the self titled one in the mail today,and wow, it's really fucking good. they were a much more keyboard/organ-based band at first. and jakob dylan's voice sounds more raw on this older recording. i can't believe how much different it is from bringing down the horse and the records after that. i almost wish they had continued in this vein, it feels much more classic rock-ish (if that makes sense).

does anyone else have this album or heard it before?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bringing down the horse is a great cd
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    I have that first album you talk about, and yeah, I love the sound they had on that one, they still keep some of that for Bringin Down the Horse, but the debut just has certain rawness that makes it charming... a shame they don't sound like that anymore, their latest wasn't as bad as previous efforts though.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • i was ordering some random CDs from bmg the other day, and i decided to pick up the rest of the wallflowers' albums that i didn't have. so i got the self titled one in the mail today,and wow, it's really fucking good. they were a much more keyboard/organ-based band at first. and jakob dylan's voice sounds more raw on this older recording. i can't believe how much different it is from bringing down the horse and the records after that. i almost wish they had continued in this vein, it feels much more classic rock-ish (if that makes sense).

does anyone else have this album or heard it before?

i love their first work, yet, to me, it doesn't compare with BDTH.
    ThisIsNotAnExit
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I think they are underrated. They are a really good band and it seemed after bringing down the horse...they were pretty much ignored.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    libragirl wrote:
    I think they are underrated. They are a really good band and it seemed after bringing down the horse...they were pretty much ignored.

yeah, but the thing is the 2 records that followed it were mediocre to say the least, fortunately with their new one they seem to be getting their touch again.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    barcoach wrote:
    yeah, but the thing is the 2 records that followed it were mediocre to say the least, fortunately with their new one they seem to be getting their touch again.

red letter days was eh....but yeah if you don't keep making "hits" you lose most people.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • libragirl wrote:
    red letter days was eh....but yeah if you don't keep making "hits" you lose most people.

You know, Red Letter Days grew on me and isn't too bad. It's decent.
  • Jeez. I think "Breach" (their follow up to BDTH) is their best album. I love that album
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Jeez. I think "Breach" (their follow up to BDTH) is their best album. I love that album

i would have to agree with this statement.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • i havn't quite gotten into "breach" fully but, "red letter days" and their latest are my favorite right now with "bringing down the horss" being my least favorite. i don't have the self-titled.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914