Mike Patton Appreciation Thread

mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I was following the thread 'artists everyone on this forum loves but you' and noticed Patton's name popped up. I didn't think he had much love on this board so I was curious to see who else here is a fan.

I've been following him since around '89 when I first heard Faith No More. That of course led me to Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom and all of his other various side projects.

I totally get that not all of his music is accessible, I cannot listen to some of it either but I appreciate the artistry behind it.

The new Tomahawk album 'Anonymous' has seriously impressed me (although Patton doesn't make much musical contribution to the album other than vocals) and the movie soundtrack he did 'A Perfect Place' is great. I'm really looking forward to hearing Crudo, his new project with Dan the Automator when it debuts.

Even if one doesn't like his music much, there aren't many vocalists out there with this guys range and ability. He can go from a croon, to a death growl, to a high falsetto in one song. His voice is tremendous.

If you're a fan, what's your favorite project of his (YouTube links are welcome)? If not, feel free to diss him here too. :)

I'll start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xfv8h6nI-8
Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Whats all they hype with this guy. Sure he does alot of projects. His voice is average at best. He may try different styles, which I'll give him credit for, but nothing he has done is great.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Whats all they hype with this guy. Sure he does alot of projects. His voice is average at best. He may try different styles, which I'll give him credit for, but nothing he has done is great.

i totally feel the same way.. i just don't get it. i couldn't even get into FNM back in the day.. and fantomas... i wouldnt even call that music. i saw them open for Tool and he was screaming and making ridiculous noises. i think the majority of the crowd was booing him.

whatever... to each their own i guess=p
  • Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    lephty wrote:
    i totally feel the same way.. i just don't get it. i couldn't even get into FNM back in the day.. and fantomas... i wouldnt even call that music. i saw them open for Tool and he was screaming and making ridiculous noises. i think the majority of the crowd was booing him.

Fantomas is not music that most are used to. I have a hard time with some of it myself but I thought their album Director's Cut was really well done. Mike often uses his voice as an instrument instead of traditional vocals. It's not something that a lot of people find accessible but that's the beauty of Patton. He's not afraid to try new things even if it's uncomfortable for some to listen to.

The reason why they opened for Tool is because Maynard is a huge fan and asked Fantomas to tour with them.

I'll post another link since I replied: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwhOjMI7F8g&feature=related
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Mike Patton is the coolest mother fucker on Earth!

...and since no one has listed Lovage, I'll add this side project to the list of his greatness! Great music to fuck to! ;)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    LongRd. wrote:
    Mike Patton is the coolest mother fucker on Earth!

...and since no one has listed Lovage, I'll add this side project to the list of his greatness! Great music to fuck to! ;)

Oh yes, you've gotta love the Lovage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwBRkN9__uc
  • *bows down to god*
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Cheers to a singer, composer, lyracist, and most of all a true musical artist. You have to respect a guy that has the integrity he has. Makes the music he wants to and puts it out on his own label. Has a solid enough fan base that will go on the journeys with him. And he works his ass off, always touring and recording..... Well i could go on and on..
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Good call!!! Great song off one of the best albums of the 90's. I listened to that cd every day for about a year.
  • mbangel10 wrote:
    I was following the thread 'artists everyone on this forum loves but you' and noticed Patton's name popped up. I didn't think he had much love on this board so I was curious to see who else here is a fan.

I've been following him since around '89 when I first heard Faith No More. That of course led me to Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom and all of his other various side projects.

I totally get that not all of his music is accessible, I cannot listen to some of it either but I appreciate the artistry behind it.

The new Tomahawk album 'Anonymous' has seriously impressed me (although Patton doesn't make much musical contribution to the album other than vocals) and the movie soundtrack he did 'A Perfect Place' is great. I'm really looking forward to hearing Crudo, his new project with Dan the Automator when it debuts.

Even if one doesn't like his music much, there aren't many vocalists out there with this guys range and ability. He can go from a croon, to a death growl, to a high falsetto in one song. His voice is tremendous.

If you're a fan, what's your favorite project of his (YouTube links are welcome)? If not, feel free to diss him here too. :)

I'll start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xfv8h6nI-8

hes not bad
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • BEST. ROCK. VOCALIST. EVER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMv6_2HqbF8

He has so much range in his vocals since his FNM debut with The Real Thing in '89. I think he was barely 20 when he join FNM in '88.

It's weird to listening all of his post-The Real Thing releases and then go back listening to The Real Thing. I would have love to hear that album recorded in the mid 90's.
  • LongRd. wrote:
    He has so much range in his vocals since his FNM debut with The Real Thing in '89. I think he was barely 20 when he join FNM in '88.

It's weird to listening all of his post-The Real Thing releases and then go back listening to The Real Thing. I would have love to hear that album recorded in the mid 90's.

Me too. Their music is so good, but some of the tones are so damn 80s it kills me. haha
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I've always been a fan of his. Fait no more is my favorite of his projects. I don't know peeping tom though. I'll have to gie that a listen coz it soudns great

edit: here's my link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJCHSMHNugw
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    mr bungle wrote:
    Cheers to a singer, composer, lyracist, and most of all a true musical artist. You have to respect a guy that has the integrity he has. Makes the music he wants to and puts it out on his own label. Has a solid enough fan base that will go on the journeys with him. And he works his ass off, always touring and recording..... Well i could go on and on..

So true.... also, great username! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfpemepDh08
    Julien wrote:
    I've always been a fan of his. Fait no more is my favorite of his projects. I don't know peeping tom though. I'll have to gie that a listen coz it soudns great

edit: here's my link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJCHSMHNugw

Here are some great Peeping Tom vids to get you started. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USwKZbcU4pw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwetH5x3Nvk&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLjQgDe4ifg&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQjf0KEkUCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8UBsY2o38E&
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    There's a difference between you not liking his voice and it being average. Just accept that you're dislike is a matter of taste and that assuming he is bad because you don't like his music is sheer lunacy. I know someone who HATES Patton's music and recognises that his voice is unnaturally impressive. He uses it as an instrument in the most literal sense. His range is insane, his power unparalleled by any of his contempories and some of his music (FNM, his work with Eyvind Kang, Kaada and the Dillinger Escape Plan) is utterly brilliant.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    There's a difference between you not liking his voice and it being average. Just accept that you're dislike is a matter of taste and that assuming he is bad because you don't like his music is sheer lunacy. I know someone who HATES Patton's music and recognises that his voice is unnaturally impressive. He uses it as an instrument in the most literal sense. His range is insane, his power unparalleled by any of his contempories and some of his music (FNM, his work with Eyvind Kang, Kaada and the Dillinger Escape Plan) is utterly brilliant.
    speaking of Dillinger Escape Plan- a band I'm not familiar with other than Patton have worked with them and I believe has members of Pantera involved?

Anyways, one of my favoirte FNM song is Malpractice of Angel Dust album. I searched yuotube for live performances and only found this one. I realized FNm never performed it live ever. Fucking sucks they didn't!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kUzMod_7W8

But man, i'd pay hundreds and thousands to see them reunite for a tour. I know Mike hasn't really commit to anything since he left FNM but damn, just one summer would be amazing!!!!!!
    mbangel10 wrote:

Peeping Tom is OK, nothing great. would have been better if Dan The Automatic on there as full producer! :D
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    LongRd. wrote:
    speaking of Dillinger Escape Plan- a band I'm not familiar with other than Patton have worked with them and I believe has members of Pantera involved?
    Hang on, are you asking if DEP have members of Pantera involved? if so, no. Other than that, not that I know of. He has a band called Fantomas which has Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Buzz Osbourne from the Melvins.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Hang on, are you asking if DEP have members of Pantera involved? if so, no. Other than that, not that I know of. He has a band called Fantomas which has Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Buzz Osbourne from the Melvins.
    oops My bad, I was thinking of DAMAGEDPlan. Dimebag was in that band when he got killed?

BTW, this post is a fan ;)
    http://forums.pearljam.com/member.php?u=44996
  • cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    mr bungle wrote:

Well put, Patton is the man.
    LongRd. wrote:
    Peeping Tom is OK, nothing great. would have been better if Dan The Automatic on there as full producer! :D

That's why I'm so excited about hearing Crudo. Mike described it as fucked up R&B, so it should definitely be interesting. When him and Dan work together you just know it's gonna be entertaining.

I enjoyed the Peeping Tom demo's more than I did the finished product but from what I've seen in downloads and YouTube, they seemed great live. I really wish I could have seen them when they played Philly last year.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    mbangel10 wrote:
    That's why I'm so excited about hearing Crudo. Mike described it as fucked up R&B, so it should definitely be interesting. When him and Dan work together you just know it's gonna be entertaining.

I enjoyed the Peeping Tom demo's more than I did the finished product but from what I've seen in downloads and YouTube, they seemed great live. I really wish I could have seen them when they played Philly last year.
    Crudo??? whoa nice, I haven't read much on the recent activities of Patton. Last I heard was he did the voice-over for alot of the characters in I Am Legend.

Can't wait for that Mike-Dan duo. Been a fan of the Automator since he released the HandsomeBoy Modeling School stuff. Then discovered his old produced classic "Dr. Octagon" CD with Kool Keith- which is freckin' insanely hilarious.
  • Mike Patton is my favorite singer, period. I just got a ticket to see the first Crudo show ever and I can't wait. If anyone is in the Bay Area, it's May 22nd at the Great American Music Hall and I think tix are still available
    Eric
  • Loved Peeping Tom.

Can't wait to hear Crudo. i hope it comes out soon.
  • lephty wrote:

He's a crooner. That's why I like him. On the flipside though, his voice sounds great on songs like 'Surprise you're dead'. Oh and 'RV'. :D
    I always just found Faith No More's stuff to be really catchy. I don't know any of his side projects.