New Killers Album Anyone?

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
edited November 2008 in Other Music
what are your thoughts? i am a big fan thus far after a couple spins...love Joyride...
chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• After reading all the reviews I wasn't too excited.

Bought it on Monday and have listened straight through 3 times.

I like it from start to finish with the exception of the last song. It flows well as an album and it seems like they have squeezed a ton of music into 10 songs.

Favorite Track is "I Can't Stay".
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Its meh....maybe a few more listens will turn me
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    After reading all the reviews I wasn't too excited.

Bought it on Monday and have listened straight through 3 times.

I like it from start to finish with the exception of the last song. It flows well as an album and it seems like they have squeezed a ton of music into 10 songs.

Favorite Track is "I Can't Stay".

yea i like the caribean feel to that song. i dont know why they get a bad rap. maybe its their popularity. but it sounds to me that they are interested in going different directions with their sound which is cool with me
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • i dont know why they get a bad rap. maybe its their popularity.

Unfortunately that's correct.....

Some people have a hard time accepting the fact that something can be good as well as popular.....

It's just music snobbery.....shame people aren't more open minded.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I love this CD
  • Unfortunately that's correct.....

Some people have a hard time accepting the fact that something can be good as well as popular.....

It's just music snobbery.....shame people aren't more open minded.....

Yeah I could never understand the hate for this band there's absolutely nothing wrong here. I used to think of them as a guilty pleasure.... but why should they be?
  • I am glad to hear the positive reviews! I love their other albums, so I'll have to pick this one up.
    $9.99 at Target on Friday, if you can brave the stores...
    9/1/2005, 7/3/2006, 7/6/2006, 7/22/2006, 7/23/2006, 9/21/2009, 9/22/2009
    Yeah I could never understand the hate for this band there's absolutely nothing wrong here. I used to think of them as a guilty pleasure.... but why should they be?

i am a big fan. all of these things ive done is an amazing song
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • I am a Killers fan and am relieved, the first two songs I heard a month ago "Human" and "Spaceman" were tough to swallow, human with it's music and Spaceman with it's awful lyrics. But, I like the album as a whole.

Losing Touch
    This is Your Life
    Neon Tiger

and the bonus downloads

Crippling Blow
    Forget What I said

Are all great songs.
  • Yeah I could never understand the hate for this band there's absolutely nothing wrong here. I used to think of them as a guilty pleasure.... but why should they be?

They shouldn't be a guilty pleasure.....

They write great, catchy pop rock songs and they have their own sounds.....

Living in England I hear countless indie acts that NME buttfuck every week that all sound the same....The Killers have their own sound.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Yeah I could never understand the hate for this band there's absolutely nothing wrong here. I used to think of them as a guilty pleasure.... but why should they be?

Plus the rythm section totally dig Pearl Jam.
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    Through one spin, I dont like it as much as Hot Fuss and Sam's Town, but I think it's a grower. Picked it up for 3.99 at Amazon mp3.

You guys need to check out Amazon. They've been having some amazing deals lately, really kicking the shit out of itunes.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • listening to it via stream on their myspace...Losing Touch was pretty good..Human while not great didnt seem as bad as I thought it was when it first came out...on Spaceman now and the album definitely has a different feel than their others but thats not a bad thing at all...I'll probably have to pick this one up over the holiday
  • I don't care what people think - I enjoy the killers.

Going back to Hot Fuss - I still say that "All these things that I've Done" is the best song this decade.
    I still say that "All these things that I've Done" is the best song this decade.

wow you and i are on the same page my friend. i was telling that to people after i first heard it back in 05 or whatever year it came out. great fucking tune.

as far as "human" goes, i really like it. the lyrics make no sense what so ever. i just think it sounds cool. one of my friends requested it at a wedding we were at over the weekend and we rocked out to it. good times.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • "Are we Human - or Are we Dancer" references a Hunter S. Thompson quote

I found this little tidbit in an interview with Flowers:

"I think (Thompson) was very concerned with the direction of where we were headed in America -- you know, the kids -- and it's amazing how simply worded he put it, just by saying, 'I'm afraid that we're raising a generation of dancers.' It says so much and so I stole it and made it into this song," Flowers said. "One ironic thing is Hunter S. Thompson hated disco music. And the song isn't disco, but it is a very dance-(oriented) song."
  • wasnt too impressed with their performance on leno last night... but ill probably buy the album and check it out...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    haven't listened to the whole thing yet but the first half is good. not as good as Sam's Town but good.

can anyone send me the bonus downloads?
  • I like the album a lot. The only track I'm not fond of is "The World We Live In." The 80s feel to it is different than the 80s vibe a lot of their other songs have. This one is more along the lines of a 70s rocker going solo and trying to keep up with synths being added to music back then (like something Robert Plant would've put out around the time of "The Principle of the Moments" or something one of the Eagles would've done after they broke up). The other 80s-influenced stuff is usually faster-paced and has more energy to it. That song is just a little too slow and repetitive fore me.

The rest of the album is excellent, though. The last track is done perfectly. It's about the bass player's mother dying (Brandon' Flowers's mother also has cancer, so that played into it, too but I think "A Dustland Fairytale" is his take on his mom's life more than "Goodnight, Travel Well"). "Losing Touch," "Spaceman," and "A Dustland Fairytale" are probably my 3 favorite songs on the album right now.
  • bought the album over the weekend.....i think its pretty decent, not great, but the first half is pretty fun.....joy ride is cool...really doesnt sound like anything they've done before.....

i am not ashamed to say i like the killers.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    google "the killers day and age bonus tracks". i got all 3 and i have to say they're worth it.

a crushing blow
    tidal wave
    forget about what i said
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    The Killers are a good band.

My opinion of why I don't dig them, is the same reason I don't like Coldplay anymore. Their music runs together. To me they have a unique "sound", like Coldplay, and three albums in I've grown tired of it.

Just trying to give an explanation for why some may not like them. I certainly don't see them as pop music.
  • i dont know why they get a bad rap

Four words: Mormonism.

(sike - the makeup/glam/cowboy gimmick they've been rocking the past couple years is total bullshit and turned me off, but the songs are good.)
  • I've heard they were raised as Mormons, but are they still practicing Mormons now?
  • one thing about this band that is strange is the purposeful alienation in image between Brandon and the rest of the band. they look totally different and it has been talked about before but it is still an odd thing to go for. the picture in the album really deals with this subject too. the three long haired dudes on one side on a black background and clean cut brandon on the otherside with a white background....

whats up with this and what are they going for?

also, i think the last time they played SNL was a little sloppy, but this time around Brandon looked confident and was really giving it his all, veins bursting in his forehead and stuff. i like him
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • "Hot Fuss" was classic. "Sam's Town" was decent at first but has withered upon repeated listens, especially the 2nd half of the album.

Only listened to "Day & Age" once, didn't dig it. Will give it more spins, but as of now it's their weakest release IMO.
  • Brandon Flowers was raised Mormon and is still a Mormon. I don't believe the other members are or ever were Mormons.
    I've heard they were raised as Mormons, but are they still practicing Mormons now?
  • se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 326
    wow you and i are on the same page my friend. i was telling that to people after i first heard it back in 05 or whatever year it came out. great fucking tune.

as far as "human" goes, i really like it. the lyrics make no sense what so ever. i just think it sounds cool. one of my friends requested it at a wedding we were at over the weekend and we rocked out to it. good times.

I'll third that.
  • chittychitty Posts: 575
    Not as good as the first two IMO, but still a solid album!
  • It is growing on me. After the first two times through, I wasn't very pleased, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It has some real stinkers in there though. I really cannot stand track 4 or the last track (10). I am also not a huge fan of the saxophone usage; I think it makes things sound so cheesy. I do like song 7 though inspite of its sax solo.

It is by no means anywhere near Hot Fuss in terms of quality, but I do like the new CD. There aren't any songs that just leave me beggin for more, but it serves its purpose. I have kind of gotten over the Killers though, so I wasn't expecting the world when I bought it.