new everlast cd, some inspiration from ed

possomistspossomists Posts: 427
edited September 2008 in The Porch
the new everlast cd, love, war, and the ghost of whitey ford is awesome. alot of crazy lyrics. anyways i cant find the pics right now, but he became good friends with sean penn (thanks him on the album), and he hung with ed during a good part of creating the cd. i talked to him about it, and he said him, ed and sean chilled many late nights a few months back and they were all on the same page. get it, its awesome, folsom prison blues is a awesome, and unlike the other songs on the album, check it out on youtube, then BUY the album
"you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
-ed july 8th MSG 2004
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Good taste!

I agree that it's a really good album, but let's not give Ed too much credit for this one. I've been a fan of Everlast since the House of Pain days, and he has always had a strong political and social slant to his music. Sure, there are alot of "pop" songs in there as well, but Everlast has always been a very thoughtful songwriter. He just continues to branch out into more social and political issues with each release. It's only natural that he would tend to socialize with like minded induviduals. I agree that he hangs out with good company, but lets give Everlast the full credit for his recent strong showing.

Something tells me your thread will get moved to the "other music" section though.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Thanks for the heads up. I usually like Everlast's solo stuff. Who would have guessed back in the 90's...that it would be Ed and not Stone (the hip hop connection) who would be hanging out with Everlast?

I can totally see them sitting back on the porch with their guitars...smoking a few blunts...drinking a few beers and ripping the current administration a new one with their six strings.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • This is a joke thread right ? Everlast a great songwriter. I cant believe Im hearing that. His voice is garbage also.
  • This is a joke thread right ? Everlast a great songwriter. I cant believe Im hearing that. His voice is garbage also.

way to knock a cd before listening to it, or all of his cds, a proffesor of mine said the same thing when i told him to pick up ed's into the wild cd
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • I can't wait to hear it - Whitey Ford is one of my favourite cds.
  • hes playing on tuesday night in manhattan, he is awesome live, second only to ed in my opinion
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    This is a joke thread right ? Everlast a great songwriter. I cant believe Im hearing that. His voice is garbage also.
    While I haven't heard the disc yet, with this I concur...
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!

what it's like lyrics. you're seriously telling me he doesn't write good lyrics?

We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change
    The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange
    He ask the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes
    Get a job you fuckin' slob's all he replied

[CHORUS]
    God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
    'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues
    Then you really might know what it's like [x4]

Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom who said he was in love
    He said don't worry about a thing baby doll I'm the man you've been dreamin' of
    But three months later he said he won't date her or return her call
    And she sweared god damn if I find that man I'm cuttin' off his balls
    And then she heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the doors
    They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore

[CHORUS]
    God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes
    'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose
    I've seen a rich man beg
    I've seen a good man sin
    I've seen a tough man cry
    I've seen a loser win
    And a sad man grin
    I heard an honest man lie
    I've seen the good side of bad
    And the down side of up
    And everything between
    I licked the silver spoon
    Drank from the golden cup
    Smoked the finest green
    I stroked the baddest dimes at least a couple of times
    Before I broke their heart
    You know where it ends
    Yo, it usually depends on where you start

I knew this kid named Max
    He used to get fat stacks out on the corner with drugs
    He liked to hang out late at night
    Liked to get shit faced
    And keep pace with thugs
    Until late one night there was a big gun fight
    Max lost his head
    He pulled out his chrome .45
    Talked some shit
    And wound up dead
    Now his wife and his kids are caught in the midst of all of his pain
    You know it crumbles that way
    At least that's what they say when you play the game
  • what it's like lyrics. you're seriously telling me he doesn't write good lyrics?

We've all seen the man at the liquor store beggin' for your change
    The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange
    He ask the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes
    Get a job you fuckin' slob's all he replied

[CHORUS]
    God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
    'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues

Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom who said he was in love
    He said don't worry about a thing baby doll I'm the man you've been dreamin' of
    But three months later he said he won't date her or return her call
    And she sweared god damn if I find that man I'm cuttin' off his balls
    And then she heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the doors
    They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore

[CHORUS]
    God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes
    'Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose
    I've seen a rich man beg
    I've seen a good man sin
    I've seen a tough man cry
    I've seen a loser win
    And a sad man grin
    I heard an honest man lie
    I've seen the good side of bad
    And the down side of up
    And everything between
    I licked the silver spoon
    Drank from the golden cup
    Smoked the finest green
    I stroked the baddest dimes at least a couple of times
    Before I broke their heart
    You know where it ends
    Yo, it usually depends on where you start

I knew this kid named Max
    He used to get fat stacks out on the corner with drugs
    He liked to hang out late at night
    Liked to get shit faced
    And keep pace with thugs
    Until late one night there was a big gun fight
    Max lost his head
    He pulled out his chrome .45
    Talked some shit
    And wound up dead
    Now his wife and his kids are caught in the midst of all of his pain
    You know it crumbles that way
    At least that's what they say when you play the game

I agree!! That songs words gives me chills no matter how many times i hear it, I also tear up about the girl "And they call her a whore", sorry but those are powerful lyrics, maybe they arent as "mystic" and "abstract" as Ed's messages but very powerful just the same, dont get me wrong - I ABSOLUTELY LOVEEEE ED'S Writing, but sometimes I feel like "Just put the thesarus down, Ed!" and talk to us simpletons! LOL
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • I can't wait to hear it - Whitey Ford is one of my favourite cds.

Without a doubt, his strongest album since his solo debut. The opening track, while I agree with the sentiment, is my least favorite track. With the exception of one or two songs I consider "filler", just a REALLY solid effort. I wish artists would realize that you don't HAVE to fill up a CD's capacity, but I guess I'd rather have filler than for the songs to be issued as b-sides and pay extra to get them.

I'm not even going to go into specifics with those who are dissing the man, but anybody who judges an album or artist without hearing the content probably wouldn't enjoy this album anyway. It's for people with open minds. You know, kinda' like Pearl Jam.

Like what you want. Dislike what you will.

I don't waste my time judging other peoples tastes.

Glad someone has the time to ad negativity to something they know nothing about.

I don't.

Peace,
    D.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Good taste!

I agree that he hangs out with good company, but lets give Everlast the full credit for his recent strong showing.

quote]

i said some credit to ed, everlast always had these views, but he said hanging with ed and sean really helped him paint the picture clearer
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • I had no idea this guy was still making music. What the hell....I'll give it a try.
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    You're a fool if you think Everlast isn't a talented writer. The new CD isn't as good as White Trash Beautiful but it has some good tracks.

Standouts right now for me are:

Stone in my Hand

Die in Yer Arms

I just wish Die in Yer Arms had a real drummer on it. Fuck he was chillin With Ed, Ed should have stepped up!
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    im giving this record a spin now, im almost at the end. while some is shit, ( like most music out these days ) the other half is really quite good.

ive always liked him though.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    isnt that the guy who use to rap?
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    He still does rap, he just intersperses it with rock and blues tracks. His guitar work has really improved on this one.
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    gibbits wrote:
    He still does rap, he just intersperses it with rock and blues tracks. His guitar work has really improved on this one.

gotcha..no thanks
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    So.. you're blanketing a genre? That's like saying fuck Pearl Jam because Slipknot screams too much so that must be all rock. I don't like 95% of rap out there, but if you won't even give him a chance... especially since there are maybe 3 rap tracks on the album, I don't know what to say. It's funny how PJ fans always bitch and moan when someone doesn't like pearl jam because they aren't "informed" yet so many here share your opinion on other artists such as everlast.
  • ottonypottonyp Posts: 226
    I just got the album. So far I just listened to the track "Stone In My Hand", which I REALLY, REALLY LOVE! The only other song I know by them is "What It's Like". You guys should check it out!!

Ummmm. No.
    "Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me." -Michael Scott
  • nice ot see this thread still alive, check out everlast in new york city this tuesday, and coming to a city near you soon, hes awesome
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • silas23silas23 SoCal Posts: 99
    I downloaded it today. It's pretty good. I've always liked it Everlast. Friend is good.