What is it about Yield?

michaelcassiomichaelcassio Posts: 72
edited January 2008 in The Porch
So, Yield is probably the most talked about album on this page, at least, it has been in the past. I think it's my favorite PJ album, but i'm not sure why. What makes this album so special to you? Is it the lyrics, guitar riffs, songs, Single Video Theory?

I think the song selection is great and the album seems to flow really well as a whole. Whether this is your favorite album or not, what is it about this record that is so compelling?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    So, Yield is probably the most talked about album on this page, at least, it has been in the past. I think it's my favorite PJ album, but i'm not sure why. What makes this album so special to you? Is it the lyrics, guitar riffs, songs, Single Video Theory?

I think the song selection is great and the album seems to flow really well as a whole. Whether this is your favorite album or not, what is it about this record that is so compelling?

I think it's the variety in the songs, and still every song on the ablum is great. No Code is my favorite but Yield is a very close second.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    for me it is the full spectrum of all musical taste.

do the evolution to low light........perfect.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • It's just the vibe, the songs all sound like they belong together. I think it was also the album where the band kind of cut loose and acccepted who they were.
  • veddermanvedderman Posts: 799
    i love the sound! i love how they produced it, it's very similar to no code sound. i love those two records just because how great they sound after ten years!
    2000 Ljubljana
    2006 Vienna, Zagreb
    2007 Munich
    2009 Berlin
    2010 Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
    2011 Montreal, Toronto 1&2
    2012 Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2, EV Manchester
    2013 Worcester 1&2, Brooklyn 1&2
    2014 Amsterdam 1&2, Manchester 1&2, Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2017 EV Firenze, Taormina 1&2
    2018 Amsterdam 1&2, Padova, Prague, Krakow, Berlin
    2019 EV Firenze
  • cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    jordn6971 wrote:
    I think it's the variety in the songs, and still every song on the ablum is great. No Code is my favorite but Yield is a very close second.
    I completely agree with your statement :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • So, Yield is probably the most talked about album on this page, at least, it has been in the past. I think it's my favorite PJ album, but i'm not sure why. What makes this album so special to you? Is it the lyrics, guitar riffs, songs, Single Video Theory?

I wish i could understand it myself. Ten was an album where all songs flowed perfectly from one to another. Now ten isn't my favorite.. VS is but I cant fathom how much some people love yield. It has some great songs like given to fly but a lot of the songs i don't especially care for. Pilate sucks,push me pull me sucks really bad. Wishlist is just ok. I could of wrote that song. Just start every line with "I wish i was" and then insert some crap. Its like a mad lib. I wish i was jeep charokee, I wish i was a warm gyno's hand, her breasts i wouldn't come off.

Do the evolution the studio version sounds so corny to me. Its much better when its sped up live.

I think age and what album got you into PJ has a lot to do with it because there are people on this board whose favorite albums are riot act or binural. ikky.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    So, Yield is probably the most talked about album on this page, at least, it has been in the past.

It should ALWAYS be the most talked about album. Then came "the riot act wars," which wiped out many of the YIELD faithfull (double-ll's intented). It is our hope that many continue to be inspired and will discuss THAT WHICH is of all THINGS YIELD for many generations to come.

"You served with my father in the riot act wars?"

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=261171
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    Here comes the YFC.....

YIELD is relevant and important for many reasons. One, (source:Single Video Theory) it was a critical juncture in the band's career and this context is huge, the first time the "mature" PJ emerged with the band collaborating, communicating, sharing songwriting credits, etc. So you get alot of variety. You can hear it as a "happy" album because it is the answer they have been searching for since Ten, the question was finally asked and articulated (instead of raged against) in YIELD's sister album: No Code. YIELD was the answer to the existential truth that PJ had been wrestling with in their career in the 90's.

It's actually the band achieving release, and you can literally hear this in the songs and flow of the album. The proof in this is how similar the next three albums woud be and how PJ's tone changed to socio-political commentary. They finally came to grips with their existence as humans and then, and only then, after the navel gazing could they serve someone else. They finally stopped looking inward and grew outside of themselves, in terms of songwriting. DTE was the first step.

Brendan O'Brien's warm production makes the album stand out (along with No Code) and the songs have the sense of becoming, of bittersweet, of lost innocence and mature wisdom. It's maybe the most melodic album and easiest to listen to, and the band "conciously" (source, multiple interviews in 97-98) chose to include the most accessible and melodic songs. Something they havent done before or since (except maybe 8).

The last point I will make is that conceptually, it just all "fits" like no other PJ album- the production, the melody, the focus on transcendence and introspection ("YIELD'ing to nature, to life, to existence). Its the most coherent work PJ has done, it's almost like a concept album. And, it speaks to some personal issues and spiritual issues that Ed and the boys haven't done as delicately or with such focus since.

Im missing a ton, but the YIELD bretheren can fill in the gaps....
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    It always comes back to the lyrics with me. No matter what the band. No matter what the album.

and Yield contains some of my favorite lyrics.

More than that, for me, I think a lot has to do with the time period in which it was released. This was the last PJ album to come out while I was in college. When I listen to it, subconsciously, it takes me back to that time, a kid on the cusp of adulthood and the mixture of hope and sheer terror that comes with it.

None of these songs are *about* that, per se. But that's what the album means to me.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I love Yield, my personal favorite. It was very vibrant, full of energy, and had a spiritual element about it, like none other. No Code is the same in way.

I feel like I was in the studio where they were recording the album. That's how good that album was. I'd love to hear something like that again but it's been awhile. :(
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    LongRd. wrote:
    I love Yield, my personal favorite. It was very vibrant, full of energy, and had a spiritual element about it, like none other. No Code is the same in way.quote]

Very well said!
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    it is what it is AWESOME
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i'll end up writing an enormous paragraph so instead i'll just say because of it's overall uplifting and uniting vibe. the music is brilliant too. that normally helps ;)
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    i recently cut it into peices and ate the whole cd damm that's how good it is and taste great too :D
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    because every song is great and its one the best rock records ever made-
    period.
  • three words:

accidental. concept. album.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • dinkdink Posts: 2
    I think,... well for me anyway its when pj got more confident with thier music, now i know it was the 5th album however there are tastes of ten and vs all over that album!! vitalogy and no code were relatively experimental compared to the 1st two so this was about being a complete rock n roll album!!
  • Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    distantsun wrote:
    three words:

accidental. concept. album.
    Word.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • jakupjakup Posts: 1
    let me say

first to begin with.

first time i heard yield was through phone. was talking with my brother and heard few tunes and i vaguely heard it was peal jam.

then i finally bought it. i didn't have that many CD's yet, and it was big money for me back then.

but the opening riffs. the opening lines. the openings. lost myself ammediately. just like someone said earlier. there was something bigger. they were turning themselfs around, from inner to outer. and now afterwards. thats just it. it happened to me too. i turned myself too.

yield did that for me or with me. and i've been turning myself all the way open since yield. turning myself to face what's really happening.

and the music. it flows. it screams. it stands. it's in it's right place. everything is. and you can really feel it. feel how they really feel. especially what eddie feels, cause he's the main motor, though all of 'em have contributed. it's still beginning the themes what eddie really wanted to say...

but the music, it's the most of it. the main of it. and it gets bigger every time.

pretty much the biggest record of my youth. with few others. still.

Berlin 9-23-2006
  • Yield. AWESOME.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    1 word
    faithfull
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    I was working in BAJA mexico on a dig. It had been a tough week, I think we worked six days straight in the desert winds...and I had a day off.
    I spent it sitting on the beach watching the waves bust against the shore listening to YIELD over and over again. To this day every time I hear a song from this record I am brought back instantly to where I was then.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • I was working in BAJA mexico on a dig. It had been a tough week, I think we worked six days straight in the desert winds...and I had a day off.
    I spent it sitting on the beach watching the waves bust against the shore listening to YIELD over and over again. To this day every time I hear a song from this record I am brought back instantly to where I was then.
    *Sigh*
    thats what Yield does man. thanks for sharing ^ thats beautiful.
    I try to listen to it when I travel all over.

(MExiCo? Nooice).

I hope I see you for the Edmonton meet-up. :)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • I am gonna listen to lowlight.

thanks everyone.

i really need it too right now. we are lucky.
    Rarghstarfarian.
    I was working in BAJA mexico on a dig. It had been a tough week, I think we worked six days straight in the desert winds...and I had a day off.

This is a classic YIELD memory and a perfect setting to listen to it, and appropo for the albums 10th anniversary!
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    If I had to describe Yield in one word...it would be WARM. The album just feels warm.

Vitalogy is still my favorite...as quircky as it is.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Low Light is the most beautiful song ever written by anyone ever. Also, when I think of Yield, I think of optimism. It's definitely their most "glass half-full" album.

Yield was also a turning point in Pearl Jam's vision and tone of their songs...as someone said before, they became more comfortable with themselves and their ability to express different things...so many lyrics point to this..."The whole world will be different soon/The whole world will be relieved," "It's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind," "I'll find my way from wrong, what's real/Your dream I see," "Let the rain wash away all those yesterdays."
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    6/19/08 Camden
    6/20/08 Camden
    6/22/08 DC
    6/25/08 MSG
    8/4/08 EV NYC
    8/5/08 EV NYC
    8/7/08 EV Newark
  • To me, it's the last of the classic albums...Ten right thru Yield were great, front to back.

Also, Ed's voice was still in peak form here...it sounded different on each song and added so much. I don't get that feeling anymore.