Options

Phil Collins George Harrison Led Zeppelin

shahrilshahril Posts: 288
edited December 2005 in Other Music
ok..i have this old video, a great one, of a big jam of While My Guitar Gently Weeps by Harrison, Clapton, RIngo Starr, Elton John, and Phil Collins. id say circa early 80s.

ok, phil collins plays he drums as well as ringo, but man this guy annoys me. he's the one with the most (fake) emotion on stage, and its almost like hes trying to take the limelight for his own; (silly fill ins that dont fit the song etc).

i also read somewhere before that zeppelin once played after bonham's death and collins filled in. jimmy page apparently got annoyed at him because of exactly the same reason as what i saw in this vid, without actually knowing how to play. until i saw the harrison video i didnt quite understand what page meant.

anyone have any thoughts, does he have a bad reputation for that?
I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Phil Collins sold his soul sometime in the early 1980's.....pure and simple. He let the job of frontman go to his head and forgot the mad drum skills that got to that moment where he attempted to fill Peter Gabriel's shoes in Genesis.

Maybe it was Phil's behavior at Live Aid that made the Led Zep guys call it an inferior performance and not allow it to be released on the DVD?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    u mean he was actually a good drummer during the gabriel years of genesis?
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    shahril wrote:
    u mean he was actually a good drummer during the gabriel years of genesis?
    Good is a vast understatement.....check out the albums "Selling England By The Pound" or "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway." He even did a jazz side project called Brand X that is supposed to be really excellant. He was fantastic until it went to his head.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    thanks..ill check it out.

London 20/04/2006