Options

I like the new Sleater-Kinney but...

joseppijoseppi Posts: 58
edited December 2005 in Other Music
...I wish Modern Girl didn't get all distorted and gravely-sounding as the song goes on. Minor complaint for a very good album.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    But don't you think that's an audible clue about the singer's state of mind?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I love their most recent album...for anyone who is more into them than me recommend me their best, or next best album?
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    Red Lukin wrote:
    I love their most recent album...for anyone who is more into them than me recommend me their best, or next best album?

the woods is totally different from all of their other albums, so to save you from jumping right into old riot-grrrl(ish) sleater-kinney it would probably be best to work backwards as such:

one beat
    all hands on the bad one
    the hot rock
    dig me out
    call the doctor
    sleater-kinney

dig me out and the hot rock are my two personal favorites. when i first got dig me out many many years ago i must have listened to it 25 times the first few days i had it.

** edit - after re-reading your post i realized i forgot to actually suggest an album. a lot of people on this board seem to like 'one beat' so i would go with that one although i think you might enjoy 'the hot rock' as well. if you dig either or both of those and 'the woods' you're a s-k fan and can go out and buy all their other albums. **
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    justam wrote:

yes i do......
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    JSBE wrote:
    the woods is totally different from all of their other albums, so to save you from jumping right into old riot-grrrl(ish) sleater-kinney it would probably be best to work backwards as such:

one beat
    all hands on the bad one
    the hot rock
    dig me out
    call the doctor
    sleater-kinney

dig me out and the hot rock are my two personal favorites. when i first got dig me out many many years ago i must have listened to it 25 times the first few days i had it.

** edit - after re-reading your post i realized i forgot to actually suggest an album. a lot of people on this board seem to like 'one beat' so i would go with that one although i think you might enjoy 'the hot rock' as well. if you dig either or both of those and 'the woods' you're a s-k fan and can go out and buy all their other albums. **

cool, thanks for all your input...I'll keep those albums in mind, and specifically One Beat, when I'm at the music store
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:

yeah Definitely go with One beat!!

the Woods is Unbeliveable , i thought it was going to be tough for them to top One Beat, but they did and boy does it sound good!
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    I think it's audibly hamhanded and annoying. I mean, that song is a momentum-slaughtering piece of crap regardless...but that particular exercise in crappery makes it unlistenable
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I think it's audibly hamhanded and annoying. I mean, that song is a momentum-slaughtering piece of crap regardless...but that particular exercise in crappery makes it unlistenable

We'll have to disagree then, because I think it's purposeful static--the white noise that's building up as we discover that she's really NOT happy.

Like when you look at a picture where the person is smiling serenely and yet you look down and notice that her foot is bleeding...or maybe something else is being ignored in the background.

But, who knows, maybe you're right and it's unintentional?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&