Options

Dylan/Uncle Neil experts help me out

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited May 2007 in Other Music
ok so I was thinking about how much I love both of these guys and want more of their respective cats but don't really know what to get so here is what I already have and if there is anything you think I really should get lemmie know. Oh and I've decided to star the ones I like best if that helps. recomend away

Dylan:

Empire Burlesque
Before the Flood*
Blonde on Blonde
Blood on the tracks*
Bringing it all back home
Desire*
Highway 61 revisited
Live 1975-rolling thunder*
modern times
Time out of mind
Best of Bob Dylan vol 1

Young:
After the Goldrush*
Everybody knows this is nowhere
Harvest*
Harvest Moon
Mirrorball
On the Beach*
Tonight's the night*
Unplugged
Weld
Zuma
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    well i think you should own everything by dylan (;)), but you're missing a few necessities:

freewheelin bob dylan
    the times they are a changing
    another side of bob dylan
    john wesley harding
    nashville skyline
    love and theft

and get your hands on anything he did with the band.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    well i think you should own everything by dylan (;)), but you're missing a few necessities:

freewheelin bob dylan
    the times they are a changing
    another side of bob dylan
    john wesley harding
    nashville skyline
    love and theft

and get your hands on anything he did with the band.

Definitely get these. They're classics.
    Also, I'd recommend:

The Basement Tapes
    Oh Mercy
    Love and Theft
    "Royal Albert Hall" bootleg series vol.4
    "Concert at Philharmonic" bootleg series vol.6

You have most of Neil's best work, but I'd also pick up:

Comes A Time
    Live Rust
    Freedom
    Ragged Glory
    Sleeps with Angels
    Prarie Wind

Can't go wrong with Dylan and Neil.
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Neil:
    Massey Hall 1971
    American Stars n Bars
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Ragged Glory
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Dylan:

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Oh Mercy
    Love & Theaft
    Bootleg Series Vol. 1 - 3 (Mama You Been On My Mind, If You Gotta Go, alternate takes of many Blood On The Tracks tunes, an alternate Every Grain of Sand, Blind Willie McTell, and Series of Dreams are just some of the highlights on this set)

Neil:

American Stars n' Bars
    Decade
    Comes A Time
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Ragged Glory
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Dylan -

Oh Mercy
    Infidels

Neil -

Silver & Gold
    Deja Vu (CSNY)
    Live Rust
    Re*Act*or
    Freedom
    Sleeps With Angels
    Ragged Glory
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    Buy anything of Neil's and you won't be disappointed. Except maybe for the Shocking Pinks album and the Bluenotes album. And Trans takes a little while to get used to (because of the vocoder lyrics), but there are some great tracks on there.

Also, since you enjoy Harvest and Goldrush, get all the CSNY stuff as well. Oh, and Buffalo Springfield. 60's pop, but a million times better than the Beatles.

Bob's pretty much the same. Get it all, except for that weird gospel style phase he went through.
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Dylan- Freewheelin Bob Dylan

It is one of my favorites and has classics like masters of war and blowin in the wind.

Young-
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Comes A Time
    Sleeps With Angels

He has many other great albums such as Ragged Glory but i did not want to bombard you with too many. Rust Never Sleeps is worth owning just to thear Thrashers alone. one of my favorite neil songs.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    lampshade27lampshade27 Posts: 35
    One of my favourite Bob Dylan albums is Planet Waves. The Band back him up and it's quite good. They did it right before the 'Flood' tour and you love that one, so I'd check this out.
    Listen to the Sadies.

"Who's better than Eddie Vedder?" - Oranje by Orson Corson
  • Options
    daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    my favourite Dylan records at the moment are Infidels and Street Legal... its not for everyone i know. but i love it.
    If u want songs in particular to look for. Infidels- I and I.. and Street legal. .and no pay attention.. Where are you tonight. This song is a lost masterpiece that will drive any music lovin man out of his mind! absolutely brilliant song in the way Like a Rolling Stone is..its kinda similar
    I change by not changing at all.
  • Options
    laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    a cool disc by uncle neil is the dead man soundtrack. lots of feedback.
    very melodic. depp reads a bit on it. and other short monologes from the movie.
    pretty cool
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    piaget77 wrote:
    Definitely get these. They're classics.
    Also, I'd recommend:

The Basement Tapes
    Oh Mercy
    Love and Theft
    "Royal Albert Hall" bootleg series vol.4
    "Concert at Philharmonic" bootleg series vol.6

You have most of Neil's best work, but I'd also pick up:

Comes A Time
    Live Rust
    Freedom
    Ragged Glory
    Sleeps with Angels
    Prarie Wind

Can't go wrong with Dylan and Neil.

i agree. yes to the basement tapes!!!!! yea heavy.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    pdh1978 wrote:
    Buy anything of Neil's and you won't be disappointed. Except maybe for the Shocking Pinks album and the Bluenotes album. And Trans takes a little while to get used to (because of the vocoder lyrics), but there are some great tracks on there.

Also, since you enjoy Harvest and Goldrush, get all the CSNY stuff as well. Oh, and Buffalo Springfield. 60's pop, but a million times better than the Beatles.

Bob's pretty much the same. Get it all, except for that weird gospel style phase he went through.

p.s. definitely get Neil Young - the album can be a bit slow, but 2 tracks really stand out - The Loner and I've Been Waiting for You (aka. the stalker song). To this day the latter is one of my favourite NY tracks. Just listen to that stereo guitar solo - amazing. Almost as good as the piano in When You Dance (Jack Nitzsche, by the way)...
  • Options
    MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    you are missing 3 major must have Neil albums:

1. Rust Never Sleeps (imo, his single greatest album. "Hey Hey, My My" and "Thrasher" are 2 of the greatest songs ever written.)

2. Live Rust (great, but probably not as good as Weld)

3. Freedom (2 versions of RITFW and the great tune "Too Far Gone" and an alternate version of another great song "Crime in the City")

other than Unplugged, I have not been a huge fan of Neil's stuff after Freedom, though I do like the song "Big Time" off Mirrorball.

also, you should get the double best-of album called "Decade" which has some of Neil's best CSNY songs.
  • Options
    The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    MLC2006 wrote:
    other than Unplugged, I have not been a huge fan of Neil's stuff after Freedom, though I do like the song "Big Time" off Mirrorball.

Big Time is off Broken Arrow, not Mirrorball. You are right that it's a great tune though.

You don't dig Ragged Glory? Even with all the older tunes on there (Country Home, White Line, ect)? I dunno, I'll always take Crazy Horse over the faux Crazy Horse of the Restless.
  • Options
    pdh1978 wrote:
    p.s. definitely get Neil Young - the album can be a bit slow, but 2 tracks really stand out - The Loner and I've Been Waiting for You (aka. the stalker song). To this day the latter is one of my favourite NY tracks. Just listen to that stereo guitar solo - amazing. Almost as good as the piano in When You Dance (Jack Nitzsche, by the way)...

I love the Last Trip to Tulsa. To me that is the money track on that album. An album that is generally not talked about much at all by most fans so good call on bringing that one up.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Yeah, Last Trip is a nice little ditty too.

I just got a copy of Chrome Dreams the other day and also the whole 6 volume (12 disc) set 'A Perfect Echo', which chronicles his live performances from the 60's to the 00's. Can't wait to have a listen to them.
  • Options
    pdh1978 wrote:
    Yeah, Last Trip is a nice little ditty too.

I just got a copy of Chrome Dreams the other day and also the whole 6 volume (12 disc) set 'A Perfect Echo', which chronicles his live performances from the 60's to the 00's. Can't wait to have a listen to them.

I have heard chrome dreams (don't own it a buddy does) and i have perfect echo wonderful collection of stuff.

Has the 16 minute acoustic change your mind from the bridge on it :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22