Red Hot Chili Peppers

Comments

• BrezBrez Posts: 570
    It's older than Californication and isn't "give it away" or "under the bridge" so that's not gonna happen :rolleyes:

Haha, so true. But, I was actually pumped cause when I saw them in October they played "I Could Have Lied" and "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". I was not expecting that!
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Brez wrote:
    Haha, so true. But, I was actually pumped cause when I saw them in October they played "I Could Have Lied" and "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". I was not expecting that!
    seriously?

bad ass! it's about time they did that.. and more often.

Lay down the funky monks mother fuckers.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    red mos wrote:
    Did Gnarls Barkley's sound just completely suck? They seemed like a good act on paper (as the Dallas morning news said), but sound wise they were awful, and the problems just ruined their entire performance. I don't think hip hop acts translate very well live in arenas, but maybe that's just me. Gnarls Barkley are good at what they do, but just not really my thing. The sound was so bad, we had to get up and walk around for awhile cause we couldn't hear anything but feedback for like 3 songs.

Yes, pretty much. I agree that hip hop acts (although Gnarls Barkley isn't really hip hop) don't work that well in large arena. I saw Kayne West open for U2, and it was the same way. You just couldn't hear anything.
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    For those of you who give them shit for not changing up their set lists, compare last night's set to the one from St. Louis:

Nashville Set List - 01/17/07

1. Intro
    2. Can't Stop
    3. Dani California
    4. Scare Tissue
    5. Instrumental
    6. Charlie
    7. Havana Affair
    8. Instrumental
    9. 21st Century
    10. Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    11. Bass and Conga Solo
    12. Throw Away Your Television
    13. Hey Oh (Snow)
    14. How Can I Tell You (John's Acoustic Cat Stevens Cover)
    15. Desecration Smile
    16. Higher Ground
    17. Wet Sand (Over the Hills and Far Away intro)
    18. Warlocks (with clavinet!)
    19. Californication
    20. What is Soul?
    21. By the Way
    Encore
    22. Drum Solo (sweet latin feel)
    23. Soul 2 Squeeze
    24. Give it Away
  • If only the Peppers would bust out "My Friends," "Tearjerker," and "Shallow Be Thy Game" from One Hot Minute then all would be complete!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    If only the Peppers would bust out "My Friends," "Tearjerker," and "Shallow Be Thy Game" from One Hot Minute then all would be complete!!!
    yeah. I've always wondered why they never play anything off of one hot minute anymore? I mean, I know John quit the band, and Navarro played guitar on that album, but why did John never care to learn the material for that album? I'd love to hear my friends, warped Aeroplane and tearjerker live.... Good stuff.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • chelseachelsea Posts: 5
    Red Hot Chili Peppers were my favourite band for several years.
    But now they've moved to a very close second, behind Pearl Jam.
    I love BSSM and OHM the most.
    Stadium Arcadium...definitely not their best album...

I saw them live in Australia just a few weeks ago.
    Manage to meet Anthony, Flea and John at their hotel before the show.
    Having a photo taken with John would probably be the highlight of my life.
    His solo music is amazing.
  • AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Mother's Milk are great albums (their best).

I don't really enjoy By the Way or Californcation anymore. Stadium Arcadium was pretty bad.

Since i'm a bassist I also enjoy their first 3 albums. Crazy, funky stuff.

One Hot Minute is a hit or miss (I'm a big Frusciante fan, so his he was def. missed on this album).

But yeah, they're definitely not the band they used to be. I understand that bands grow up and need to progress, but I don't think this is the case. The old RHCP songs are far more complicated and original than their new stuff.

Now, they sound like a radiofriendly soft-rock band.

I'd say, BRING BACK THE FUNK!

;)
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Mother's Milk are great albums (their best).

I don't really enjoy By the Way or Californcation anymore. Stadium Arcadium was pretty bad.

Since i'm a bassist I also enjoy their first 3 albums. Crazy, funky stuff.

One Hot Minute is a hit or miss (I'm a big Frusciante fan, so his he was def. missed on this album).

But yeah, they're definitely not the band they used to be. I understand that bands grow up and need to progress, but I don't think this is the case. The old RHCP songs are far more complicated and original than their new stuff.

Now, they sound like a radiofriendly soft-rock band.

I'd say, BRING BACK THE FUNK!

;)

This is not only directed at the poster I quoted, but at all the people who claim the Chili peppers have gone soft and aren't funky anymore.

I guess these people have not listened to Charlie, Hump De Bump, She's Only 18, Warlocks, 21st Century, Storm In a Teacup, or Turn It Again from Stadium Arcadium, because all of those songs are very funky. Combine that with some great rocking songs like Torture Me, Especially In Michigan, and Readymade, plus strong ballads like Snow, Wet Sand, and the title track, and I really just don't get how people can say SA is a bad or boring album. It also has the best guitar work of any album the Peppers have ever done.

Oh well, to each their own.
  • chelseachelsea Posts: 5
    red mos wrote:
    yeah. I've always wondered why they never play anything off of one hot minute anymore? I mean, I know John quit the band, and Navarro played guitar on that album, but why did John never care to learn the material for that album? I'd love to hear my friends, warped Aeroplane and tearjerker live.... Good stuff.

It's not a case of John not bothering to learn the material from OHM.
    It's that he refuses to. And he says he's never listened actually listened to the album before.
    Stubborn? Probably.
    But there's nothing that can be done about it.
  • Am I the only one who thinks Frusciante is a tad sloppy? Quite a lot? I loved BSSM and OHM. I hate Californication, but the other more recent albums are okay. They played BSSM and Nobody Weird Like Me when I saw them at Eal's Court last year! Uplift Mofo Party Plan is a great album too.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I liked them from aged about 15 to 19, they were one of my favourite bands during that time. Nowadays however i find myself really bored to death with them, even the earlier stuff that i loved. There are a few songs i still really like, scar tissue is a classic for instance, but i just cant be bothered with them anymore. Have to say that Stadium Arcadium was a terrible album in my opinion, some very uninteresting songs.

Its all personal opinion though obviously, i know plenty of people who love Stadium Arcadium.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • john frusicante - ROCKS
    anthony kiedis - nice guy, can't sing
    flea - I hate it that he's so good!! I don't like his overreaction!!
    chad smith - nothing special with

memorable songs:

wet sand - best RHCP track ever
    I could have lied - it's just so beautiful, best track on BSSM
    Venice Queen - best track on by the way by far!
    Dosed - second best track on by the way...
    desecration smile - like john's vocals in this one:)
    make you feel better - cheers me up
    scar tissue - best song to drive with in a car that is driving in a desert:D

hated songs:

hump de bump - WHY?
    get on top - you can't be serious
    stadium arcadium - why call the album to the second weakest song on the album
    readymade - just can't get into it
    cabron - ???
    on mercury - I can't just do: ??? again can I?... who cares: ???
    tell me baby - damn... this song is so boooringg
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • ^ Haha, you just seem to like all the quiet ones, and nothing before BSSM. Just an observation.
  • ^ Haha, you just seem to like all the quiet ones, and nothing before BSSM. Just an observation.

yep... now that you mention it... I think that's true...

well I like other ones too... but I just can't really get into the funky things... I like almost all the songs on BSSM, especially sir psycho sexy, BSSM, breaking the girl, give it away, (and more...)
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • dq4lifedq4life Posts: 154
    i love rhcp, but i think they make bad choices when they decide on the songs to put on an album and what singles to release. like dani california, imo, is an extremely annoying song, but the b-sides for it are great. They should have released "whatever we want" or "million miles of water" those are b-sides to dani california, and i like them a lot better. most of rhcp's b-sides are better than a lot of the songs they put on their albums. idk, maybe they choose the songs they think will be the most popular instead of the best ones. but the b-sides are great. here are some:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8EYs-Gmoc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vTBBH6McK8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2hDUVWWhY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGi5dqwD-Qw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtp5grBGCFU&mode=related&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAjeMm07aU4
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Wow, those are really good... I love them but the fact that they chose a poppy mtv hit song like Dani California but then left of better b-sides kinda makes me question their priorities.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • dq4lifedq4life Posts: 154
    Brez wrote:
    Wow, those are really good... I love them but the fact that they chose a poppy mtv hit song like Dani California but then left of better b-sides kinda makes me question their priorities.
    yeah. i don't understand why they made that song. i wonder how they choose their singles, because, snow and hump de bump are both songs that are annoying when put in heavy rotation. wet sand should be released as a single. i swear i'll never get tired of that song. ^_^
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    wet sand is one of the best songs they have ever written. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Brian V.Brian V. Posts: 51
    I like all of their CDs, including Stadium Arcadium. In fact, I'd say SA is a good improvement over By the Way.

But their best CD is definitely Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt7y_oiQMy8&mode=related&search=
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Brez wrote:
    I've seen some people on here that hate them, and some people who love them too.. But why hate them?

Behind Pearl Jam they have to be my second favorite band... And I'm just wondering how someone could not like them. I understand not liking Stadium Arcadium because it's a bit repetitive of some of their other "older" stuff (Granted the stuff it sounds like was made in like 1999 and 2002). And Blood Sugar Sex Magik has to be one of my favorite albums of all time!

So I know there are haters on here... let's have some reasons :)

there was a time when i thought i like the chilli peppers. but i think it was like a virus or something. i was delusional long enough to buy 3 albums and then i recovered. :D they just don't do it for me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Brez wrote:
    I've seen some people on here that hate them, and some people who love them too.. But why hate them?

Behind Pearl Jam they have to be my second favorite band... And I'm just wondering how someone could not like them. I understand not liking Stadium Arcadium because it's a bit repetitive of some of their other "older" stuff (Granted the stuff it sounds like was made in like 1999 and 2002). And Blood Sugar Sex Magik has to be one of my favorite albums of all time!

I really liked their old stuff and I can dig their last 3 pop-records. But imo they're not what they used to be...I really miss the funky/groovy rhythms (altough they try to play this on some new songs).
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    They are a great studio band but are wildly inconsistent live. I think this is part of the reason for the hate.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 297
    Brez wrote:

because they make whatever music they have to to stay "mainstream" instead of really pushing themselves to create. songs and lyrics are a joke, too.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    23scidoo said:
    This is going to be badass. I've seen a couple different start times. Does it start at 2:00 or 3:00 EST?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan said:
    23scidoo said:
    This is going to be badass. I've seen a couple different start times. Does it start at 2:00 or 3:00 EST?
    I have no idea..this is the official channel on youtube..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    23scidoo said:
    LukinFan said:
    23scidoo said:
    I have no idea..this is the official channel on youtube..
    The RHCP page says, 3:00 EST, so I'm assuming that's it. A couple of other articles I saw said 2:00. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The later the better.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    In 45 minutes!!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.