Death cab for cutie

Tnerb248Tnerb248 Posts: 49
edited December 2005 in Other Music
i'm looking to get into these guys. i'm trying to pick between plans and transatlanticism to start with. i plan on getting both of them, but which do you guys reccomend i listen to first?

-brent
www.brentplaysdrums.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Transatlaticism is there best album. That is a good place to start ;)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Definitely Transatlanticism!
    Leeds 25/08/06
    Berlin 23/09/06
    London 18/6/07
  • Trans is the best. If you get two I would suggest getting the Photo Album instead of Plans.
  • allow me to disagree. their first couple cd's are by far the best. they weren't afraid to rock out a little. i'd go with something about airplanes myself. transatlanticism and plans are pretty good, but they're definetely wuss rock.
    obviously, you're not a golfer.
  • wuss rock.
    what a fucking stupid thing to say.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • what a fucking stupid thing to say.
    I agree...wuss rock is a bit harsh, i mean..they arent 3 doors down:)
    http://www.myspace.com/sigepnader

History is the polemics of the victor...

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    It basically implies that music has to be aggressive, or "rock" in order to be acceptable in the high-testosterone world we apparently live in. Personally, I don't buy it
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • A bit off topic but I picked up their dvd Drive Well, Sleep Carefully and it is prett damn cool. I'd like to see these guys.
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    soul meets body is soooooo good but the rest of Plans doesnt impress me...i think ill look into some of their earlier stuff
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    allow me to disagree. their first couple cd's are by far the best. they weren't afraid to rock out a little. i'd go with something about airplanes myself. transatlanticism and plans are pretty good, but they're definetely wuss rock.

im gonna half agree... their earlier albums are so much better. the last two are way softer, but that's not necessarily a abd thing. of the 2 you mentioned i vote for plans. transatlanticism is good but i think it only gets so much talk around here cos every pj fan bought it when they opened in 04. something about airplanes is way better.

and their dvd is pretty great.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    i've tried listening to these guys a few times and can never really see the big deal with em...i don't like the singer's voice either..but have fun
  • hey guys, thanks for the help. i got plans cause it was 9 bucks. i figure if i like this one i'll really love transatlanticism. probably in a few weeks. we'll see how this goes.

-brent
    www.brentplaysdrums.com
  • i don't have "Plans" yet.. luckily i've been able to catch them on that comedy central thing 3 or 4 times in the last day so i've gotten to know "soul meets body" better.

awesome song :)

you say the album isn't as good as the song would indicate?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i don't have "Plans" yet.. luckily i've been able to catch them on that comedy central thing 3 or 4 times in the last day so i've gotten to know "soul meets body" better.

awesome song :)

you say the album isn't as good as the song would indicate?

it's one of the album's stronger tunes no doubt, but that doesnt mean there arent other songs on there that are also good. my fav death cab song is on there... "different names for the same thing". if you like transatalnticism, you'll probably like plans.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Tnerb248 wrote:
    hey guys, thanks for the help. i got plans cause it was 9 bucks. i figure if i like this one i'll really love transatlanticism. probably in a few weeks. we'll see how this goes.

-brent

I will be the dissenting voice and say that Plans is a far superior album to Transatlanticism. Soul Meets Body, Summer Skin, I Will Follow You Into the Dark, Your Heart Is an Empty Room, Someday You Will Be Loved, and Crooked Teeth are all outstanding tracks. Tiny Vessels is really the only song on Transatlanticism I would label as outstanding. But hey, that's just me.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Soul Meets Body has hooked me through the "alternative" radio station here, grrrr 89X, seems all they play is crappy punk-rock like Simple Plan and that other crappy band Good Charlotte, anyways, is their other stuff like that song ?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • "I Will Follow You Into the Dark"

This song is their single greatest lyrical contribution. The lyrics are simple and breath taking, sad and sincere. If this song was sung first by a bruce springsteen or an eddie vedder it would have been deemed the greatest folk song of like the past 15 years. It is truly astounding.

I didn't like plans when I first got aside from follow you into the dark. I now find the entire CD to be excellent. I still think transatlanticism is the superior cd but they both rule!
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • bump

i love death cab

i just brought out transatlanticism today. what a great, great album. looking back, this has to be one of the best albums of the decade so far. ben gibbard is quickly becoming one of my heroes. and 'soul meets body' is great too. i saw nothing but really mixed reviews for 'plans', but it seems to be on a lot of 'best of the year' lists too, so i might have to pick it up for the holidays
  • nomarnomar Posts: 65
    Get the Photo Album if you don't have it, especially if you like transatlanticism. I'm not sure which is better, but Photo Album is also fantastic.
  • PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    both are great
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    Both are beautiful albums...

Start with Trans... and move to Plans.
  • hey well, i bought plans first, and after listening to it a few times, i bought transatlanticism on itunes. i like trans (i feel weird calling it trans after that terrible neil young album trans) a little more, but i think it's cause it's a little more rockin. which isn't to say that plans is bad. its a very good album. their drummer is phenominal. are the other albums this good?

-brent
    www.brentplaysdrums.com
  • I dunno if you guys can agree with me here, but there is something very whoish about plans.
    I mean the songs I am thinking of are "different names" and "what sarah said". maybe not whoish. But these songs become especially meaningful in their epicness. If you took a room of 25 people and turned "what sarah said" on and played it REALLY loud and all they had to do was listen to it, they would all be shocked by the end and in deep contemplation and emotionally struck by the song.

This kinda started with the song Transatlanticism, which was ane of the most epic songs EVER. Like the first time I heard it and really listened to it closely I was floored. With their new album the "epicness" of their songs has proliferated.
    I might describe the epicness like this: There is a wall of sound that slowly builds up behind the poignant lyrics and a simple melody. As the song proceeds, or sometimes at a certain point, this wall of sound gets thicker and starts taking over the song.
    Then before you know it it there is this white noise kinda music wall, white noisish in the way that it just fills in everything. And then you have the singer singing over and over in a way that his voice is part of the wall. And hes saying something that seems vague but if you absorbed the first part of the song you are aware of the implicit meaning in the singer saying over and over "so who's gonna watch you die".
    And this may all seem like crazy talk but to write a song like this is something most people could never do. It's truly amazing.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    i only like these two. great albums
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I will be the dissenting voice and say that Plans is a far superior album to Transatlanticism.... But hey, that's just me.

Nah, it's just you and me. Transatlanticism is a great record no doubt...but it's inconsistent and peaks too soon...Plans has all of what's good and none of what's bad. Obviously will depend on whats to come; but I wouldnt doubt it if it winds up being the record of their career.

Its most assuredly "wuss rock" though, lets all be honest.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • I personally feel Transatlanticism is their best effort. The Photo Album is the only other album I've heard by them that's maybe better on some levels. Their first record Something About Airplanes is good for lo-fi kind of sound. But the only records I don't like by them are We Have The Facts And are Voting Yes and Plans.
  • I'm the opposite of most of these posts.I don't care at all for Transatlanticism(if you all like it that's cool).But,I finaly got to pick up Plans yesterday.DAMN! I love it esp. "I will follow You into The Dark"that song is beautiful.Now, as for early Death Cab,start with "Something About Airplanes" and then "You can Play these Songs with These chords".
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)