King Crimson

AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Fucking amazing and underrated band.

Anyone else love this band?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Don't know about the band, but I know I dislike the hell out of the Alabama Crimson Tide
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Uh, okay?

You should check them out.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    In the Court is a great album
  • They rock
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    My second-favourite band of all-time.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Fucking amazing and underrated band.

Anyone else love this band?
    "Red" is probably the greatest album of all-time...it's my favorite anyway. The band that turned out "Lark's Tongue in Aspic", "Starless and Bible Black" and "Red" is beyond amazing and underrated.

The boxed set of live shows from that era, "The Great Deceiver", is to die for.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I discovered this great band through Tool. The only album I've gotten so far has been Power To Believe- which I love. I was planning on buying some more of their stuff in the near future. Just can't decide on which. Based on the material I've heard, I don't think it'll be anything from the early 80's though. Probably the weakest Crimson era IMO.
    I definitely feel the long hiatus from 83'-94' really hurt the band's popularty and made it tougher to get younger fans. Who knows how big they would be today if they'd only released music on a more consistent basis.
  • All I've heard so far is In the Court Of The Crimson King, but i really dig it. What other albums by them are good?
  • all i know is i saw adrian belew open for umphreys mcgee last year and i thought he played for far too long and ruined the encore... hes got some cool FX on that guitar tho... and crimsons got a few good songs... dinosaurs a good one
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Jack Bauer wrote:
    All I've heard so far is In the Court Of The Crimson King, but i really dig it. What other albums by them are good?

Get "Red".
    Get "Red".
    In total agreement with that statement.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • that band is amazing, check their dvds if have the chance, deja VROOM is great for start. to see the double trio in action is simply amazing, though my favorite dvd is eyes wide open - mind blowing stuff there. i prefer later crimson 94 onwards, they released only three albums, but the live shows are just amazing, get some of their bootlegs.
    make tea not love
  • Robert Fripp = Fucking Man.
    sunnyday wrote:
    that band is amazing, check their dvds if have the chance, deja VROOM is great for start. to see the double trio in action is simply amazing, though my favorite dvd is eyes wide open - mind blowing stuff there. i prefer later crimson 94 onwards, they released only three albums, but the live shows are just amazing, get some of their bootlegs.
    Great stuff indeed....I still prefer the Wetton-Fripp-Bruford-Cross line-up....another source of amazing live shows.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i have a burnt copy of Red somewhere.. need to find it.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Adrian Belew has been on a few pictures on nin.com.. I hope they are working on a project thats actually going to be released!
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    one of my closest friends is a huge fan, i'd call myself a casual fan, un-real musianship tho, you can really hear where T00L got some of their influence, especially adam
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • yeah red is prolly they're best album, i have their first box set which is from 69 to 74 i believe, great stuff, if you like progressive rock, some stuff can get a little too spacey, but red is pretty much balls out rock..
    8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
    ...i know all the rules but the rules do not know me, guaranteed...
    yeah red is prolly they're best album, i have their first box set which is from 69 to 74 i believe, great stuff, if you like progressive rock, some stuff can get a little too spacey, but red is pretty much balls out rock..
    If the box set is "Frame by Frame" (four discs)...it covers 1969 to 1984.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    They were pretty damned amazing, that's for sure!

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • yeah red is prolly they're best album, i have their first box set which is from 69 to 74 i believe, great stuff, if you like progressive rock, some stuff can get a little too spacey, but red is pretty much balls out rock..

Except "Providence".

The ultimate mindfuck track.
    Except "Providence".

The ultimate mindfuck track.
    ...and a live recording of an improv.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Red's one of my all-time favourites but Discipline is another classic.
  • King Crimz:

Very underrated by critics in general

Very overrated by Tool fans

;)
    elmer wrote:
    Red's one of my all-time favourites but Discipline is another classic.
    I actually don't own a copy of Discipline...because nearly all of the tracks are found in the "Frame by Frame" box set. Some great stuff.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    I saw Bowie back in 1990 in Seattle, and Adrian was the guitarist for that. It was awesome!

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
    Saturnal wrote:
    King Crimz:

Very overrated by Tool fans

;)
    I've tried with Tool but their just way too heavy, can kinda see a slight connection with Crimson though.
    Had a little listen to the Crimson.

Belew,Fripp,Levin,Bruford- This being the first incarnation of the band to make successive albums without any line-up changes. The trilogy of: Discipline(81),Beat(82),Three of a Perfect Pair(84) made some wicked sounds. (around the same time Tom Waits did three linked albums:Rain Dogs,Swordfishtrombones,Odl Frank(not sure last one)).

Side two of Three of a Perfect Pair has some really spacey tracks, actually I prefer to start at track5: Nuages(That Which Passes, Passes Like Clouds), and then play out the record through: Industry, Dig Me, No Warning, Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part III..........yep, from track 5 onwards this record runs Discipline pretty close.
  • lksammktlksammkt Posts: 127
    yep bump...King Crimson!
    I just keep moving on....
  • The first time I listened to Crimson, I said to myself; "Wait, is this Tool i'm listening to?".

It's crazy how much Tool ripped off this band.

King Crimson is amazing...Tool is not.